Media Player that can play Windows Media Player WTV format

Old April 10th 15, 10:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

Default Media Player that can play Windows Media Player WTV format

wrote in message
On Saturday, October 13, 2012 at 7:40:16 PM UTC+8, Mortimer wrote:
I record broadcast TV using Windows Media Player to WTV format - this
preserves the subtitles and the metadata such as programme and episode
titles and synopsis. I store it to a folder on my PC that is shared so it
is
accessible to other PCs or anything that can access a Windows network
share.

I'm looking for a Media Player that can access this shared drive and can
play the WTV files from it, and which connects to the TV by HDMI (or, at
pinch, SCART) lead.

Many Media Players can only play vanilla MPG, and it would be a shame to
have to translate WTV to MPG, thereby losing the subtitles and metadata.
Even my LG BluRay player, which can play from external USB devices such
as
pen drives or ext HDDs, can only play MPG and none of the MPG-wrapper
formats like DVR-MS and WTV, which is a disappointing omission.

I get the impression that Media Player "extenders" work by pushing the
data
from a remote PC to the extender connected to the TV, rather than the
player
pulling it from a shared drive, which means that control of what to play
has
to be done from the remote PC rather than from the player.

I know exactly what I want - but finding devices that do it is not easy.
Unless I use a laptop as the media player, when I've got access to loads
of
software such as VLC, Media Centre, etc.

Any suggestions?

Another way to play WTV files anywhere is to convert WTV to a more
supported video format like MP4, WMV, AVI, 3GP, MOV, MKV, FLV etc.
Below is a detailed guide on how to play WTV files anywhere at
http://www.idealshare.net/video-conv...droid-wmp.html

My understanding is that POTPlayer will play WTV on Windows ...