Fringe Leisure Pro TV & Sat Signal Finder - initial impressions

Old August 22nd 12, 12:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David WE Roberts[_3_]

Default Fringe Leisure Pro TV & Sat Signal Finder - initial impressions

As requested by Bill :-)

I thought the LEDs would be signal strength, but they show TV channels
identified by the finder.

First digression - I have tuned using a set top aerial to the local
Felixstowe repeater which has worked but Woolfbane shows PSB1 on 50, PSB2 on
51 and PSB3 on 53.
The tuning menu on my Panasonic showed Channels 41 and 45 when it found
stations.
Checking post tuning I seem to have Channels 45 and 51.
So already well confused.

Tuning - checked the current aerial which is an FM stick aerial with a
signal booster.
In theory this shouldn't work, but I get a low tone (poor signal) and the
first two LEDs light up (44,47 or 49,52).

Second digression - the LEDs show two seperate channel ranges:
49,52,56,59,63,66,69,72,76,79,83,86 (single Channel)
44,47,51,54,59,61,64,68,71,74,78,81 (multi Channel)
So depending on single/multi Channel the same light comes on for a different
channel?
Does this mean there is logic which detects DVB/DVB2 signals and modifies
the display range accordingly?
Even more confused.
Ah! Penny has just dropped! They aren't channel ranges but signal strengths
in dBuV.
So you have an audio and visual indication of signal strength.

Tried the set top aerial, and swung all points of the compass with both
horizontal and vertical polarization.

Strongest signal (audio and visual) was with vertical polarisation towards
the local repeater and up to LED 6.

So it does seem to work :-)

More testing later.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old August 22nd 12, 02:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

I'm glad the penny dropped. I was getting worried...

So you have an audio and visual indication of signal strength.

Tried the set top aerial, and swung all points of the compass with both
horizontal and vertical polarization.

Strongest signal (audio and visual) was with vertical polarisation
towards the local repeater and up to LED 6.

So it does seem to work :-)

More testing later.

Keep us informed.

Old August 22nd 12, 03:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 13:21:59 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:
First digression - I have tuned using a set top aerial to the local
Felixstowe repeater which has worked but Woolfbane shows PSB1 on

50, PSB2 on
51 and PSB3 on 53.
The tuning menu on my Panasonic showed Channels 41 and 45 when it

found
stations.
Checking post tuning I seem to have Channels 45 and 51.

Wolfblane is out of date, current alloctions for Felixstowe are,

45, 51, 53

Sudbury is,

41. 44. 47. 56. 58. 60
Old August 22nd 12, 06:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David WE Roberts[_3_]

. ..
wrote:
First digression - I have tuned using a set top aerial to the local
Felixstowe repeater which has worked but Woolfbane shows PSB1 on

50, PSB2 on
51 and PSB3 on 53.
The tuning menu on my Panasonic showed Channels 41 and 45 when it

found
stations.
Checking post tuning I seem to have Channels 45 and 51.

Wolfblane is out of date, current alloctions for Felixstowe are,

45, 51, 53

Sudbury is,

41. 44. 47. 56. 58. 60

Thanks - wonder why I only see 45 and 51?

Old August 22nd 12, 06:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_4_]

--

53 is HD.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old August 25th 12, 11:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Grimly Curmudgeon[_2_]

wrote:

I thought the LEDs would be signal strength, but they show TV channels
identified by the finder.

This one?
http://www.fringeelectronics.co.uk/P...al_finders.htm

What kind of sat finder - is it just a tone?