Disabling Unused Analogue TV Tuners - Samsung

Old February 25th 10, 10:08 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian C

Default Disabling Unused Analogue TV Tuners - Samsung

Friends have just bought a new Samsung LCD television. (Series 4,
LE32B450). Nice picture.

I've noticed a little problem with it's builtin tuner setup.

It has both analogue and digitial tuners arranged so that if ye press
"1" for BBC1 you first get the digital (DTV) BBC service, and then if ye
press "1" a second time, you get the analogue (ATV) BBC service.
Sometimes it's showing ATV first, and then DTV. I couldn't stay long
enough to work out the exact finite state diagram of button events, but
what is evident is that this TV is going to spend most of its life
forever switching between DTV and ATV.

I tried purposely detuning all the ATV channels only to have them
replaced with 'snow' noise. Not a great experience for the user to
occasionally view, looks like the set or aerial is broken...

And then of course, after DSO (here, London 2012), there will be noise
on _all_ ATV channels and the user is regulary going to see this when
directly punching in channel numbers.

So I phoned up Samsung. Nice switched-on Romanian lady answered ...

Me. "Can I disable the analogue tuner? I don't need it."

Her. "No"

Me. "Why not?"

Her. "We provide it for compatibility with equipment like VCR's and CCTV"

Me. "Workaround?"

Her. "Get them to select a digital channel, then use the channel list
menu and use the up/down buttons to choose, and the middle button to
select."

Me. "Ahh... That's soooo slow :-("

I don't think this has been thought out correctly :-(

--
Adrian C
Old February 25th 10, 11:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ivan

"Adrian C" wrote in message
[...]

I was only thinking this the day Adrian, it would be a very simple matter
for manufacturers to incorporate a facility into the main menu which simply
allows the viewer to completely disable the receivers analogue function
altogether.. I mean is not as if they weren't aware that it was soon to
become completely redundant.
I had a phone call from an elderly friend the other day (who has a similar
Philips LCD TV to my own) complaining that he could only receive snowy TV
channels, which was quickly resolved after I had explained about the D/A
button on the remote control, which he had obviously accidentally pressed.
Also, I have an older LCD telly in my den, which although HD compatible only
has an analogue tuner, it's is connected to a HD Freesat receiver via HDMI,
which unlike the SCART Inputs doesn't automatically kick in when I switch on
the STB, this means having to enter a 'Source' menu on the TV remote every
time I switch on and then select the HDMI input, otherwise I'm just left
with a default analogue screen full of snow, easy enough for me, but because
of the lack of a little bit of straightforward thinking on the part of the
manufacturers, an added and unnecessary amount of hassle and confusion for
the elderly and technophobes.

Old February 25th 10, 01:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian C

On 25/02/2010 13:20, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Retune it - it should then forget your analog channels.

Er, Nope. Even though there are seperate options for tuning digital and
analogue services, the ATV/DTV issue still exists.

Doesn't make it forget it has an analogue tuner!

I've even tried pulling the aerial lead out and auto retuning just the
analogue services. At the end of that, it proudly mentions found 'zero'
channels - and proceeds to show snow for each of the now unintialised
ATV channel slot (presumably UHF channel 21).

Anyway, the issue is a moot point as they will probably be getting a PVR
sometime, and with use of those the whole TV tuner is redundant anyway.

--
Adrian C
Old February 25th 10, 01:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian

In message , Adrian C
writes
[...]

It was the same on my LG, so I deleted all the analogue channels, and
that annoyance disappeared.

Note that I deleted, not de-tuned.
--
Ian
Old February 25th 10, 01:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian C

On 25/02/2010 14:24, Ian wrote:

It was the same on my LG, so I deleted all the analogue channels, and
that annoyance disappeared.

Note that I deleted, not de-tuned.

Couldn't see a way of deleting them!

OK, could be me having a bad day trying to stop a couple tearing shreds
out of each other because neither of them could master changing channel,
the elderly fellow was getting a bit upset over the new teletext
service, and the lady was demanding that her mastery of the video
recorder still worked as before.

So, after me gazing at the gibberish samsung manual and ignoring their
drinks cabinet, I sought comfort in the nice lady on the helpline and
she agreed with my plight. Though she could have misunderstood my
misunderstandings.

However, if someone else has got one of these (popular) sets - Samsung
LE32B450, could they check? Thanks :-)

--
Adrian C
Old February 25th 10, 03:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
MartinR

On 25 Feb, 14:53, Adrian C wrote:
On 25/02/2010 14:24, Ian wrote:

[...]

It is a very popular set and rightly so, getting good reviews and at a
knockdown price (c300). My 90-year-old mother had it before going
into a nursing home and I was always turning it back to DTV when I
visited her. She had strong analogue signal in her sheltered flat and
was unable to see that the lack of subtitles and the very fat people
meant that she had stretched 4:3 picture on analogue.

However, she had a digibox feeding a CRT TV before and that caused all
sorts of problems with her mixing up the remotes.

MartinR

Old February 25th 10, 06:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Geo[_2_]

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 11:08:32 +0000, Adrian C wrote:

snip

So I phoned up Samsung. Nice switched-on Romanian lady answered ...

Me. "Can I disable the analogue tuner? I don't need it."

Her. "No"

Me. "Why not?"

Her. "We provide it for compatibility with equipment like VCR's and CCTV"

Me. "Workaround?"

Her. "Get them to select a digital channel, then use the channel list
menu and use the up/down buttons to choose, and the middle button to
select."

Me. "Ahh... That's soooo slow :-("

I don't think this has been thought out correctly :-(

Google says it has been a problem for some time and no solution - maybe they
will come out with a firmware version that will switch it off.

--
Geo
Old February 25th 10, 06:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Doctor D

"Adrian C" wrote in message
On 25/02/2010 14:24, Ian wrote:

It was the same on my LG, so I deleted all the analogue channels, and
that annoyance disappeared.

Note that I deleted, not de-tuned.

Couldn't see a way of deleting them!

OK, could be me having a bad day trying to stop a couple tearing shreds
out of each other because neither of them could master changing channel,
the elderly fellow was getting a bit upset over the new teletext service,
and the lady was demanding that her mastery of the video recorder still
worked as before.

You have my sympathy. This is the scenario I face every time I visit my in
laws.
They have Sky in the main lounge which also feeds via RF2 to "the snug"
where a 32" LCD receives it on preset 6, the lounge DVD recorder on preset 7
and the lounge VCR on preset 8.

My mother in law can change between Freeview and analogue for the in-house
stuff, but father in law can't at all.
He also insists on watching analogue teletext. The rows it leads to when she
uses Freeview have to be seen to be believed! Roll on DSO.

Old February 26th 10, 08:14 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bigguy[_3_]

On 25/02/2010 11:08, Adrian C wrote:
[...]

Solder a 75R resistor (or a dead short) across a BL aerial plug and bung
up the RF input with it; this should stop the 'snow'.

Some TVs allow you to delete analogue channels from the list; delete the
lot...

It would be nice if you could disable the analogue tuner in firmware ;-)