Ham radio Interference

Old February 25th 09, 07:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JN

Default Ham radio Interference

Graham. wrote:
"David" wrote in message
I always thought Radio Hams bent over backwards to solve these things even
if their not own fault.

I would write to their club body, RSGB.

Worst comes to the worst stick a pin through his coax.
Only joking, but I know of a TV debt collector who did that.

That was common practice in the 60s and 70s.
VHF downloads tended to have stranded inners so the pin easily found its
mark.

Try and find an old Atari 520ST this certainly annoyed a local ham who
was blasting through my TV, wiped out whole bands of his reception. I
did talk to him but he was only interested in his own problem. The hobby
does seem to attract some of the strangest humans I've met (not me
obviously).
Old February 25th 09, 07:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Crosland

I have a Ham Radio enthusiast living some 200 yards away with a big set of
aerianalia. When he turns this in my direction and talks to his contact, my
picture on Sky jumps all over the place to the extent it is unwatchable.
Just like having the vertical hold set wrong. The sound on my amplifier
also cuts out when he is talking. Sky box is connected to a video recorder
by scart and then to the TV, in the next room, by RF output (they don't
make scart leads long enough).

(Turned on the electric keyboard the other day and there he was in
glorious SSB blasting out from the speakers)

I am also getting some mild noise-type interference on other occasions but
cannot be sure it is the same source.

Have been round to see him, nice chap, but he doesn't think he is doing
anything wrong and is not obliged to solve my problem. He has mentioned
some bit of equipment I could put in the 'line',even had a root around his
garage to see if he had one.

Does anyone know the legal position on this type of interference?

If I can't resolve it with him, to what body do I complain? Radio Society
of Great Britain? Ofcom?

Any advice would be welcome on the above or how I can minimise the
interference with a gadget.

The legal position is that if his equipment is functioning correctly and
being operated within the terms of his licence then he is doing nothing
wrong. If the source of the interference is 200 yards away then the problem
is almost certainly in your equipment rather than his. Are you quite sure
that there is not another amateur, or much worse an illegal CB operator
using SSB nearby? There are various ways of removing the problem and it
really depends where, and how, the interference is getting into your various
pieces of equipment. With the audio kit the speaker leads are a favourite
for acting as an aerial. The RSGB have no jurisdiction at all, and in any
case he may not even be a member, but they may be able to put you in touch
with someone that can help. OFCOM are the regulatory body and if pressed
hard enough will come and investigate but they will charge you for the
visit. If at all possible try and work with the amateur concerned as he
should have the knowledge to assist.

Peter Crosland

Old February 25th 09, 07:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , JN
writes
Graham. wrote:
"David" wrote in message
I always thought Radio Hams bent over backwards to solve these things even
if their not own fault.

I would write to their club body, RSGB.

Worst comes to the worst stick a pin through his coax.
Only joking, but I know of a TV debt collector who did that.

That was common practice in the 60s and 70s.
VHF downloads tended to have stranded inners so the pin easily found its
mark.

Try and find an old Atari 520ST this certainly annoyed a local ham who
was blasting through my TV, wiped out whole bands of his reception. I
did talk to him but he was only interested in his own problem. The hobby
does seem to attract some of the strangest humans I've met (not me
obviously).

Indeed. I recall my wife (before she was my wife) saying that she
thought they were all definitely a bit queer (in the 'strange' sense of
the word).
--
Ian
Old February 25th 09, 09:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gregory [UK]

"Steve Terry" wrote in message
Don't worry, it's very unlikely you'll be prosecuted for receiving
transmitions you aren't licensed to

Last time I looked amateur radio was explicitly listed as just about the
only thing other than normal broadcast radio that you *are* allowed to
listen to without a license.

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.

Old February 25th 09, 09:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
James R

"Dave H" wrote in message
[...]

David

It would be in his own interest to solve the interference as OFCOM will be
on your side on this one. They will come out and investigate and pay him a
visit uninvited. They will monitor for a bit, then go and check his
equipment
AND licence to make sure he is using what he should in terms of power
and frequencies. Next they will ask him to demonstrate the equipment he is
required to have in order to check for interference. If he can't do that
he's
stuffed. OFCOM can shut him down and take his stuff. If it is found he is
operating where he shouldn't or with too much power for his licence, they
will
take the lot and prosecute him.

Complain to OFCOM next, tell him that as he doesn't think it is up to him to
sort, you will get it sorted.

Good luck!

Old February 25th 09, 09:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
James R

"Dave H" wrote in message
I have a Ham Radio enthusiast living some 200 yards away with a big set of
aerianalia. When he turns this in my direction and talks to his contact,
my picture on Sky jumps all over the place to the extent it is
unwatchable. Just like having the vertical hold set wrong. The sound on my
amplifier also cuts out when he is talking. Sky box is connected to a
video recorder by scart and then to the TV, in the next room, by RF output
(they don't make scart leads long enough).

(Turned on the electric keyboard the other day and there he was in
glorious SSB blasting out from the speakers)

I am also getting some mild noise-type interference on other occasions
but cannot be sure it is the same source.

Have been round to see him, nice chap, but he doesn't think he is doing
anything wrong and is not obliged to solve my problem.

snip

As long as he has checked the output of this TX to be clean, he hasn't.

You will have to contact Ofcom, who will help you fit filters to your
equipment that isn't supposed to receive radio signals.

Don't worry, it's very unlikely you'll be prosecuted for receiving
transmitions you aren't licensed to

Steve Terry

You don't NEED to be licenced to listen to amateur radio transmissions.
This is not a legal requirement in the UK. The equipment is not designed
to pick up mateur radio transmissions, so it isn't even a receiver meant for
that purpose! The interference is being caused by the radio amateur and
he must attempt to sort it out.
The original poster could always buy a number of Devolo Homeplug devices
which will ruin his HF reception instantly. I bet he would soon complain.

Old February 25th 09, 09:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , James R
writes

"Dave H" wrote in message
[...]

Have you personal experience of these happenings?
--
Ian
Old February 25th 09, 09:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
DerekW

"Dave H" wrote in message
[...]

Goodness you must have very large rooms I've seen 10 and 15 metre scart on
ebay. In my CB days most interference was caused by poorly tuned aeriels
occasionally when the earth braid had been compromised- unlikely in the case
of a Ham ,also unscreened appliances or those using wrong frequencies. Its
been common practice for a number of years to sell imported short range
trancievers ( CCTV, TV and radio) which operate on restricted bands and are
illegal to use even maplin have stocked them , they are also subject to
interference with WiFI set ups
DerekW

Old February 25th 09, 09:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , James R
writes

"Dave H" wrote in message
[...]

You seem to have a very jaundiced opinion about radio amateurs. I'm
sorry to tell you that very little of what you're posting is actually
factual.
--
Ian
Old February 25th 09, 09:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Dave H
scribeth thus
[...]

In general...

If he's keeping to the terms of his licence then the onus is on you to
make sure your equipment isn't affected by his transmissions.

Thats sometimes not the easiest thing to sort out;(..

The best route is co-operation and most amateurs are fine at that..

Generally the problem, is of severe overload in stages of the TV,
Satellite box, and other equipment that simply can't handle this level
of out of band power there're being subjected to.

What is generally done is a filter in line with the TV or set-top box
that keeps the interfering signal, or range of signals, out of them so
the overload/intermodulation problem doesn't happen.

Sometimes if the interfering field is -that- large then the TV might be
affected directly and thats a lot more difficult. In which case not a
lot can be done in practice. If you can give a bit more info then some
things might be suggested.

However the amateur licence does allow quite a lot of power to be
radiated and I think that in a built up area is rather socially
unacceptable to happen despite what the law might say and that was
drafted a long time ago when there was far less electronic equipment
around.

I suspect that if he's affecting you then there will be others that
haven't made the connection as yet and may be putting up with it not
knowing what it is!.

Equipment is now generally much better in this way now after years of
EMC (Electro Magnetic Compatibility) suppression and as an earlier
poster said he has to make his equipment not radiate he also in doing
that makes it much less susceptible to receiving any RF not intended for
it!.

A small demo of this can usually be noticed when a mobile phone thats in
use is held near most anything like computer speakers or a landline
phone a buzzing will sometimes be noticed.

It can be a real pain to sort out both technically and socially so if
you are on good relations then ask him what frequency bands he's
operating on, modes AM/FM SSB etc, and what sort of power he's running
and then a more detailed description of what your experiencing..

Ofcom are the legal body who deal with this and generally take a no
blame approach and will offer advice and try to mediate if they can but
unlike what another poster has suggested they will only take action if
he's radiating spurious harmonics, which is rather unlikely and hardly
ever the cause, gross overload is, or he's operating over his licensed
power buts thats a fair old bit anyway.

There is also the thorny issue that anything he does to any of your
equipment may well land him with a liability should that develop a fault
for which he will get the blame;!

So not the most straightforward problem to sort unfortunately;(....

--
Tony Sayer