Tesco Techwood AEDTR80S7 Freeview PVR

Old November 12th 08, 05:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David

Default Tesco Techwood AEDTR80S7 Freeview PVR

Looks like these branded for Tesco to sell, are they sold under other
names/model by others?
I'm looking for Reviews on it.
They very cheap wanting to know if rubbish.

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Old November 12th 08, 05:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_2_]

"David" wrote in message
Looks like these branded for Tesco to sell, are they sold under other
names/model by others?
I'm looking for Reviews on it.
They very cheap wanting to know if rubbish.

These are the Vestel offerings that most of the Supermarkets stock
under various names, Digihome, Techwood, Goodmans, etc.
They don't compare with a Humax or Topfield but for the price
they are excellent value, certainly not rubbish.
I have two of these, both 80Gb

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old November 12th 08, 10:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul

"David" wrote in message
Looks like these branded for Tesco to sell, are they sold under other
names/model by others?
I'm looking for Reviews on it.
They very cheap wanting to know if rubbish.

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Don't know about Tesco unit but I recently bought an ASDA branded unit,
160GB, 2 tuners, 2 scarts, digital and phono outputs, series link, good EPG,
record 2 channels and watch another (subject to constraints) for less than
90. Also available as 80GB for about 75. Seems pretty good so far.

Cheers,

Paul

Old November 12th 08, 11:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Nick Austin

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 18:55:51 -0000, "Graham." wrote:

"David" wrote:
They very cheap wanting to know if rubbish.

These are the Vestel offerings that most of the Supermarkets stock
under various names, Digihome, Techwood, Goodmans, etc.

If it's the same as a DigiHome then it's OK but not great.
It has sensitivity problems so it's only suitable for
medium-to-high signal areas. But at least it doesn't crash
or popup annoying messages during the night that stop
the PVR from changing channels.

Nick.

Old November 13th 08, 06:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Joedavid

"David" wrote:
They very cheap wanting to know if rubbish.

These are the Vestel offerings that most of the Supermarkets stock
under various names, Digihome, Techwood, Goodmans, etc.

If it's the same as a DigiHome then it's OK but not great.
It has sensitivity problems so it's only suitable for
medium-to-high signal areas. But at least it doesn't crash
or popup annoying messages during the night that stop
the PVR from changing channels.

Thanks for the replies.
Think I read the DigiHome PVR having trouble receiving in the switched off
analogue area in the Borders.
The one at Tesco is 69 (80gb?) with a twin scart Freeview box given free.

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Old November 13th 08, 06:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Joedavid

This is the offer.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-5298.aspx

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group
Old November 13th 08, 07:09 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill (Adopt)

In article ,
Graham. wrote:

"David" wrote in message
Looks like these branded for Tesco to sell, are they sold under other
names/model by others?
I'm looking for Reviews on it.
They very cheap wanting to know if rubbish.

These are the Vestel offerings that most of the Supermarkets stock
under various names, Digihome, Techwood, Goodmans, etc.
They don't compare with a Humax or Topfield but for the price
they are excellent value, certainly not rubbish.
I have two of these, both 80Gb

...also look (google?) for information, newsgroup information,
or other reports under Tesco's own-labelled

Technika AEDTR160S7,

...which is the 160Gb version of the Techwood.

More or less identical to the Techwood, they are certainly one
of the better PVRs on the market, being virtually bomb-proof
in use, with a comprehensive menu structure that includes:

archiving,
search & sort,
a very useful EPG search by channels, types et al for
proggies by name or type,
rapid first-time EPG population, (thereafter invisible
and without the apparently occasional overnight glitches
of even the upmarket Humax),
various 'trick-play' functions,
the ability to record two proggies whilst watching a third
already recorded proggy,
the ability to watch a proggy from the start whilst it's
still recording

...and lots more.

In short, the Techwood should prove a responsive, User-friendly
revelation in use - and at around a third of the cost of the
still very decent and well-made Humax - either of the Tesco's
boxes should prove to be very useful additions to any line-up.
Piccies seem (visually) to be clear and well saturated - not
'soft/fuzzy(ish)' as some of the other cheap-end offering are...

For the price, the Tesco boxes don't have the simple onboard
editing facilities of the Humax, nor the ability to add on
facilities and editing constructs of the even more expensive
Topfields ..but that said, at the price, the Techwood may prove
to be of exceptionally good, easy to use, value.

hh.. )

Bill ZFC

--
Adoption InterLink UK with -=- http://www.billsimpson.com/
Domain Host Orpheus Internet -=- http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk/
Old December 9th 08, 08:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Clive Page[_2_]

In message , David
writes
Looks like these branded for Tesco to sell, are they sold under other
names/model by others?
I'm looking for Reviews on it.
They very cheap wanting to know if rubbish.

A bit over a year ago we bought what I suspect is a very similar model
called the Technika AEDTR160S7 with a 160 GB disc. It's quite easy to
use, and hasn't lost any programmes, and seems to have reasonable RF
sensitivity (we are in a fringe area), so on the whole it's ok.

However there are a couple of annoying bugs:

The electronic programme guide is ok for TV channels, but for radio ones
the station name is displaced by two lines, so that what looks like
Radio3 programmes come out on the line marked Radio5 Live, and so on all
the way down.

Sometimes recordings supposed to last for much shorter times such as 30
minutes come out as 2 hours 34 minutes. I thought this might be a
failure of the local transmitter to send the correct end-of-programme
code, but I've seen the fault on all channels. Another clue that it's a
firmware fault is that sometimes the top programme in the timer list
spontaneously changes from whatever it was supposed to be to this odd
time, even before the recording has started, so other routine is
obviously over-writing a bit of memory used by the timer table. The
time isn't a power of 2 number of minutes or seconds so I've no idea why
it sets this particular duration, but it's annoying as it wastes disc
space unless you notice the over-run at the time and force it to stop
recording.

I've tried contacting the Tesco helpline but they claim nobody else has
reported these faults, so there was no firmware update, and the only
option would have been to return the unit as defective and get a
replacement. Of course by the time I reported the problem I had quite a
number of programs recorded and it would have been time-consuming to
save them elsewhere, so I didn't take up the offer.

In principle the unit is supposed to be able to acquire a firmware
update from the TV station, but in a year it has never done that.

So - they are cheap, and I guess you get what you pay for.

--
Clive Page
Old December 10th 08, 08:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill (Adopt)

In article ,
Clive Page wrote:
In message , David
writes
Looks like these branded for Tesco to sell, are they sold under other
names/model by others?
I'm looking for Reviews on it.
They very cheap wanting to know if rubbish.

A bit over a year ago we bought what I suspect is a very similar model
called the Technika AEDTR160S7 with a 160 GB disc. It's quite easy to
use, and hasn't lost any programmes, and seems to have reasonable RF
sensitivity (we are in a fringe area), so on the whole it's ok.

However there are a couple of annoying bugs:

The electronic programme guide is ok for TV channels, but for radio ones
the station name is displaced by two lines, so that what looks like
Radio3 programmes come out on the line marked Radio5 Live, and so on all
the way down.

The answer to this problem might be simpler than
appears - at least it's to be hoped so on our behalf!

Alhough I know you will already well know this,
but may I suggest that we try it again if and
when necessary, in these times of rapid change..

Have your Technika AEDTR160S7 running normally
in whatever channel you've selected - preferably
on Channel 1, "BBC 01" - and then select and 'OK'
in this normal order:

menu--
setup--
installation--
auto channel scan.

This hopefully will sort out your out-of-order
channel list, removing or adding any temporary,
(or test), additions etc etc.

In short and after a minute or so of internal checks,
your channel data list should have tidied itself up!

As an aside, it is possible - and I've no real way of
knowing not being a trasmitter techie - that the Radio
Channel list is sort of tagged onto the TV Channel
list, of which it is not actually a part..

There are indeed those PVRs that treat Radio Channels
as a completely different beast, needing the press of
a discrete button to call the radio list up.

What might also be a problem - the Technika AEDTR160S7
may be like so many PVRs here - is that that the box
needs to be, (as I understand it), in BBC 01 (Channel 1),
for it to receive any overnight list updates. If
it's recording something on Channel 5 and perhaps
Radio Channel 706 or perhaps just put into standby on
Channel 3 or somesuch, it may miss an update - something
that you'll only notice later..!

Anway ..perhaps an occasional Menu button 'Automatic
Update' might well be worth a try.. )

Sometimes recordings supposed to last for much shorter times such as 30
minutes come out as 2 hours 34 minutes. I thought this might be a
failure of the local transmitter to send the correct end-of-programme
code, but I've seen the fault on all channels.

Again it's difficult, not knowing exactly why your
particular box is demonstrating an apparent fault,
but I guess this 'feature' could well be expected
to repeat on any and every channel where the info
has not been correctly presented in the first place.

For interest, I have found similar very occasionally
occurring on BBC 02 with the Saturday Morning
Children's TV stream. (With VHS it seemed always
to happen at midnight Friday with BBC01 where the
film having started, suddenly switched off)!

The timing information, as you say, was (I guess
still is), added by the transmitting techies where
not already coded within the programme itself - as
I think is supposed to happen..

All channels, (ie all proggies), that do not have the
info encoded will need have this info added, either
prior or as the programme 'goes out'. Hopefully such
possible snarlups will be become a thing of the past
as new programmes appear and the transmitter techies
are less inundated by the need for manual button
pressing.

For similar, think of what used to occur, (roughly
around a Friday midnight at Tacolneston), with the
VHS timing info!

These days my example of the Technika AEDTR160S7
seems to quickly update both programme information
- and importantly timing - when a change to the
programming requires.

Another clue that it's a
firmware fault is that sometimes the top programme in the timer list
spontaneously changes from whatever it was supposed to be to this odd
time, even before the recording has started, so other routine is
obviously over-writing a bit of memory used by the timer table. The
time isn't a power of 2 number of minutes or seconds so I've no idea why
it sets this particular duration, but it's annoying as it wastes disc
space unless you notice the over-run at the time and force it to stop
recording.

Not a clue about this one ..doesn't happen here so far
as I know ..however, an associated reason causing this
apparent anomoly could well (and probably does) happen
if the channel list - /all/ channels including Radio,
have not correctly updated themselves as already noted
further above. It's possible the cause is an incorrect
update to the programme information stream.

A possible 'cure' might be simply ensuring that you have
gone into the Technika's Setup menu and engaged the
automatic re-scan of your local transmitters list..

I've tried contacting the Tesco helpline but they claim nobody else has
reported these faults, so there was no firmware update, and the only
option would have been to return the unit as defective and get a
replacement. Of course by the time I reported the problem I had quite a
number of programs recorded and it would have been time-consuming to
save them elsewhere, so I didn't take up the offer.

So Tesco didn't ignore you..? )

It's easy to understand the frustration when there
are many hours of valuable recording that need to
be retained. I think we can all feel the same way
when dealing with the latest technology!

It is a sad fact of the 'progress' of Technology
that sometimes we end up with something less useable
than that which went before. At least one can
physically retain part of a recorded wire or tape.

HDDs are a little more fragile in that a glitch can
cause a major collapse ..although, in the extreme,
you will probably be able to get a data centre to
offload and recover a highly valued recording.

In a way it's always helpful to retain recorded
proggies that you wish to keep either by down-
CD or somesuch ..else we take the clear risk that
we will lose the whole of a valued store.

Thinking onward ..it's not just an HDD that can
suddenly fail, but a power supply, household glitches
and gremlins, even the evilly flashing LED that shorts
circuits alongside the sugary fizzy drink that ever so
deliberately dribbles itself into those top air-vent
slots... )

In principle the unit is supposed to be able to acquire a firmware
update from the TV station, but in a year it has never done that.

Well ..perhaps so, but I'm not sure what we should
have been expecting? Has there been a need for a
continual stream of updates, ie jsut to update the
scrappy updates long gone before ..a bit like a
certain singular computer operating system..?? )

The Technika AEDTR160S7 is, as it stands and as
far as I can find it, a pretty well-developed and
virtually bombproof little box ..with a very rapid
and quite intuitive interface.. in it's own way one
of the best on the market and certainly light-years
ahead of some of the clunkily slow and ponderous
boxes that I've tried...

So - they are cheap, and I guess you get what you pay for.

Indeed.. excellent value! ;'))

Bill ZFC

Old December 11th 08, 06:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill (Adopt)

In article ,
Clive Page wrote:
In message , David
writes
Looks like these branded for Tesco to sell, are they sold under other
names/model by others?
I'm looking for Reviews on it.
They very cheap wanting to know if rubbish.

A bit over a year ago we bought what I suspect is a very similar model
called the Technika AEDTR160S7 with a 160 GB disc. It's quite easy to
use, and hasn't lost any programmes, and seems to have reasonable RF
sensitivity (we are in a fringe area), so on the whole it's ok.

However there are a couple of annoying bugs:

[..]snip description of Clive's observed 'bugs'.

(..and apologies as this is being posted 'blind';
the aeio server seems to be unusually off-line
at the moment, so this comment is chasing an
original which might not even exist now)!

Sincere apologies to Clive, who described the 'bugs'
he had noticed in his machine.

I wrote that I had not found the same. Well,
perhaps not at the time that I wrote - but
following this yesterday evening (been out today)
at first I did an auto channnel scan ..with nothing
untoward appearing that I know of, but then followed
it by a full startup installation. (Which also saves
all previous recordings as does an auto scan).

Oh dear!

Clive is correct ..there is something stirring in the
depths, for although the TV channel EPG comes in fine -
both populating and recording immediately via the
EPG as expected, the radio channel EPG does not! Well,
it visually comes in OK ..but..!!

(This all via the Tacolneston transmitter, btw).

Selecting a radio channel via the EPG now appears to
place the recording indication two channels 'higher',
ie above the channel and proggie requested! This
doesn't work, (or at least didn't for me this am)...

I'm still testing here, it may not necessarily be a
fault of the Technika AEDTR160S7 - it was working fine
so far as I know - so it's just possible that it's a
fault or a 'new' feature in the data being transmitted.
(ie all was OK as far as I knew until I did a full
installation re-scan)!

It's as if the Radio channels are now populated by a
couple of disassociated ghosts ..(assuming that there
is no truncation of the data list within the PVR itself).

Possibly a call to Tesco's help-line might well be in
order anyway ..I'll get onto to that when I have a
chance, hopefully within the next 24 hours - unless
someone comes up with better info the meanwhile.
(I'll also support Clive's orginal comment - ie that
he's now not the only one who's noticed a problem).

Should also state clearly that, in all this, the EPG
still seems to work perfectly for the TV channels -
and all recordings that have been made over the last
hours are exactly on time and as expected - as well
as no damage at all to earlier recordings stretching
back to last February. The box remains, as ever, both
very responsive and seemingly crash-proof - just the
anomoly with the radio channels.

(At least that, along with Clive, I now seem to have
here)!

Hope this post gets through (and is helpful) if and
when the 'aeio' server comes back online..

hh.. )

Bill ZFC