TV License Evasion

Old July 2nd 03, 07:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dom Robinson

Default TV License Evasion

In article , says...
So, a friend of mine is going to Uni this year, he wants to watch telly in
his dormroom.

"A friend of mine"

What are the chances TV-L will come and kick his ass if he doesnt pay?

What I remember from Uni is that word soon got round if the TV detector van
was due to sweep round the campus. Cue the sound of every TV and VCR being
unplugged around the campus, although of course we all had full TV licences.

They came round about three times in the three years I was there. I never
heard of anyone getting prosecuted, although how would they triangulate the
position of scores of TVs?

I knew one guy with a normal colour portable who went to the trouble of
getting a B&W licence, which seemed pointless.

What if he has a real TV (which he covers up if the detectors come round),
and fobs them off with a little battery powered handheld TV (which would be
covered under his parents license?)

If they catch him using it, they'll find a new place for him to hide it.
--

Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/*
Old July 2nd 03, 10:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Clifford Hole

Dom Robinson wrote:
I knew one guy with a normal colour portable who went to the trouble of getting a B&W licence, which seemed pointless.

Not pointless at all - as long as they don't know you've got a colour set - as,as far as I know,they ignore any premises that have a valid TV licence,of any type,registered to them.

They never visited me when I had a bungalow in Clacton with a colour set installed but only had a B&W licence.

I renewed it for several years without seeing,or hearing,anything at all from the TVLRO people.

I only switched over when I joined them - as an enquiry officer doing it on overtime after I finished my normal hours as a PO clerical officer - because it seemed a bit cheeky to be nicking people for dodging the fee while doing it myself. g

John