WiHD

Old November 15th 06, 05:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Farrance

Default WiHD

WiHD. This sounds like a better rival for HDMI than the data-over-mains
system that I mentioned the other day. I still wonder how the security
is going to work out in practice, though, given that as much as half of
home wifi networks are run without encryption activated. So maybe people
will end up showing their home movies around the neighbourhood's TVs.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11...ards_wireless/

"Six of the world's biggest consumer electronics companies - Sony,
Panasonic, Samsung, Toshiba, NEC and LG Electronics - have turned the
short range connectivity world on its head, in forming the WirelessHD
(WiHD) special interest group, which will settle on license-free 60GHz
spectrum for connecting entertainment devices in the home." ...

"If the new specification wins out, it is likely to go into cameras,
video cameras, HD TV sets, DVRs, DVD players, set tops, PCs, games
consoles and mobile phones)." ...

"The new WiHD system will be backed by all the listed vendors and so
drive interoperability between equipment, sending uncompressed high
definition TV across a room, and it will also be scalable beyond HD to
future high definition AV formats." ...

"Statements by the group suggested that there would be versions of WiHD
which used HDMI and DVI at the higher levels so that not too much will
need to be added to existing wired devices." ...

--
Dave Farrance
Old November 15th 06, 06:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ben

Dave Farrance wrote:
WiHD. This sounds like a better rival for HDMI than the data-over-mains
system that I mentioned the other day. I still wonder how the security
is going to work out in practice, though, given that as much as half of
home wifi networks are run without encryption activated. So maybe people
will end up showing their home movies around the neighbourhood's TVs.

Well, the article says it "will offer secure communications" - plus
60GHz doesn't get through walls terribly well. In any case, I expect
HDCP will be used to set up an end-to-end VPN.