Best Freeview indoor aerial ?

Old November 14th 06, 12:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Cuzman

Default Best Freeview indoor aerial ?

I live in a communal building right in the centre of London
(Clerkenwell). The communal aerial doesn't pick up MUX 2 at all. The
rest of the channels are patchy at best. None of them gives a perfect
signal, and most are completely unwatchable. I've tried an SLx2 but
that didn't give me much improvement. Everyone on the building suffers
the same problems.

Maplin have a new digital indoor aerial, and it seems to be the most
expensive one they stock.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48844

I'm thinking of picking one up this week, but it's always best to ask
for some advice first.
Is this just about the best thing I could buy? Any other tips?
Old November 14th 06, 07:11 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
harrogate3

"Cuzman" wrote in message

I live in a communal building right in the centre of London
(Clerkenwell). The communal aerial doesn't pick up MUX 2 at all.

The
rest of the channels are patchy at best. None of them gives a

perfect
signal, and most are completely unwatchable. I've tried an SLx2 but
that didn't give me much improvement. Everyone on the building

suffers
the same problems.

Maplin have a new digital indoor aerial, and it seems to be the most
expensive one they stock.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48844

I'm thinking of picking one up this week, but it's always best to

ask
for some advice first.
Is this just about the best thing I could buy? Any other tips?

If you have no alternative but to use a set-top aerial, then get a
cheap one. There is NO difference between a so-called 'digital'
set-top aerial and any other set-top aerial other than the price.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old November 14th 06, 08:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Cuzman
writes

I live in a communal building right in the centre of London
(Clerkenwell). The communal aerial doesn't pick up MUX 2 at all. The
rest of the channels are patchy at best. None of them gives a perfect
signal, and most are completely unwatchable. I've tried an SLx2 but
that didn't give me much improvement. Everyone on the building suffers
the same problems.

Why don't you see if the communal aerial is as good as it ought be
first?..

Old November 14th 06, 10:00 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Marky P

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 09:22:46 +0000, tony sayer
wrote:

In article , Cuzman
writes

I live in a communal building right in the centre of London
(Clerkenwell). The communal aerial doesn't pick up MUX 2 at all. The
rest of the channels are patchy at best. None of them gives a perfect
signal, and most are completely unwatchable. I've tried an SLx2 but
that didn't give me much improvement. Everyone on the building suffers
the same problems.

Why don't you see if the communal aerial is as good as it ought be
first?..

Maplin have a new digital indoor aerial, and it seems to be the most
expensive one they stock.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48844

I'm thinking of picking one up this week, but it's always best to ask
for some advice first.
Is this just about the best thing I could buy? Any other tips?

Find out who's responsible for the communal aerial & complain. If to
no avail, try the Antiference Silver Sensor indoor aerial.

Marky P.

Old November 14th 06, 03:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Zach

"Cuzman" wrote in message

I live in a communal building right in the centre of London
(Clerkenwell). The communal aerial doesn't pick up MUX 2 at all. The
rest of the channels are patchy at best. None of them gives a perfect
signal, and most are completely unwatchable. I've tried an SLx2 but
that didn't give me much improvement. Everyone on the building suffers
the same problems.

Maplin have a new digital indoor aerial, and it seems to be the most
expensive one they stock.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48844

I'm thinking of picking one up this week, but it's always best to ask
for some advice first.
Is this just about the best thing I could buy? Any other tips

Indoor antenna for DTV suck.
You will find they tend to work on one Multiplex at a time, due to multiple
reflections in the biulding. Doesn't matter how strong the signal is.
Try a very cheap outdoor antenna 8 element Yagi and experiment withing
pointing it somewhere you get all the muxes.
Might not even be in the transmitters direction.
You'll still find when you move around the room you might get break up.
Good Luck

Old November 14th 06, 07:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan

In message , Cuzman
wrote

I live in a communal building right in the centre of London
(Clerkenwell). The communal aerial doesn't pick up MUX 2 at all. The
rest of the channels are patchy at best. None of them gives a perfect
signal, and most are completely unwatchable. I've tried an SLx2 but
that didn't give me much improvement. Everyone on the building suffers
the same problems.

Maplin have a new digital indoor aerial, and it seems to be the most
expensive one they stock.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48844

Some indoor aerial tests can be found at the links below - note the
comment on the links about needing to be close to the transmitter and
the room with the aerial facing the transmitter.

http://www.ricability-digitaltv.org....ts/indoor-aeri
als/recommendations/best-indoor-aerials.htm

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com