Freeview from Video sender

Old November 13th 06, 09:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
diy-newby

Default Freeview from Video sender

Hi guys.

Got a new lcd tv for the conservatory, which I would like to receive the
freeview channels (not integreated IDTV). But, I have tried before with a
set top box and cannot get a strong enough signal in the cons to receive
these channels (as it is fed from an indoor aerial), but I can in the lounge
(fed from a loft aerial).

I am thinking of plugging the freeview STB in the lounge where I can get a
good signal and feeding the output from the STB into a video sender to send
the signal to my conservatory.

Any thoughts?

Old November 13th 06, 10:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JPG

diy-newby wrote:
Hi guys.

Got a new lcd tv for the conservatory, which I would like to receive the
freeview channels (not integreated IDTV). But, I have tried before with a
set top box and cannot get a strong enough signal in the cons to receive
these channels (as it is fed from an indoor aerial), but I can in the lounge
(fed from a loft aerial).

I am thinking of plugging the freeview STB in the lounge where I can get a
good signal and feeding the output from the STB into a video sender to send
the signal to my conservatory.

Any thoughts?

A video sender is fine for a kitchen or bedroom telly where you are
using a 14 inch CRT portable but if you have a decent LCD in the
conservatory, say 32 inch, you will probably see all sorts of horrible
artifacts because of all the conversions the signal has gone through.

Split the loft aerial feed at the lounge TV using a booster/splitter
and bring a coax into the conservatory and put it through another
Freeview box - that will also allow you to have different channels on
your two TVs.

Old November 13th 06, 06:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Prometheus

In article . com, JPG
writes
decent LCD

?
--
Ian G8ILZ
Old November 14th 06, 08:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
diy-newby

"Prometheus" wrote in message
In article . com, JPG
writes
decent LCD

?
--
Ian G8ILZ

Let me guess you have a CRT from 1950. And still use an abacus

Old November 14th 06, 08:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Pyriform

diy-newby wrote:
"Prometheus" wrote in message
In article . com,
JPG writes
decent LCD

?
--
Ian G8ILZ

Let me guess you have a CRT from 1950. And still use an abacus

Don't worry about it. Knee-jerk stupidity is fairly common around here.

Meanwhile, back at the scene of your original question:

As an alternative to splitting the aerial and using another STB, if you are
able to run an s-video or SCART cable from the STB in the lounge to the
conservatory, you will get a better picture that will not be subject to
interference. Wireless video senders can be adversely affected by people
interrupting the signal path, or the presence of wireless networks. They
also only handle composite video (IME).

You would still want a remote control extender, and a wireless video sender
may be as cheap a way of doing this as any other. So you could try one for
both purposes first, and run a signal cable if you find the picture
unacceptable.

Old November 14th 06, 10:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JPG

Pyriform wrote:
diy-newby wrote:
"Prometheus" wrote in message
In article . com,
JPG writes
decent LCD
?
--
Ian G8ILZ

Let me guess you have a CRT from 1950. And still use an abacus

Don't worry about it. Knee-jerk stupidity is fairly common around here.

What was stupid about my suggestions?

Meanwhile, back at the scene of your original question:

As an alternative to splitting the aerial and using another STB, if you are
able to run an s-video or SCART cable from the STB in the lounge to the
conservatory, you will get a better picture that will not be subject to
interference.

I was going to suggest that, but long SCART leads are not pretty and
might be difficult to conceal. S-Video leads are a good thought,
though.

Wireless video senders can be adversely affected by people
interrupting the signal path, or the presence of wireless networks. They
also only handle composite video (IME).

I found that they were acceptable for a kitchen CRT, but the composite
video made the picture look awful on a big LCD and you are right,
people moving around affect it badly, and to top it off, apart from the
WiFi router interfering with it, the microwave (and the neighbour's
microwave) kills it (the signal, not the device).

You would still want a remote control extender, and a wireless video sender
may be as cheap a way of doing this as any other. So you could try one for
both purposes first, and run a signal cable if you find the picture
unacceptable.

A good compromise.

Old November 14th 06, 11:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Pyriform

JPG wrote:
Pyriform wrote:
diy-newby wrote:
"Prometheus" wrote in message
In article . com,
JPG writes
decent LCD
?
--
Ian G8ILZ
Let me guess you have a CRT from 1950. And still use an abacus

Don't worry about it. Knee-jerk stupidity is fairly common around
here.

What was stupid about my suggestions?

Nothing at all! My comment wasn't aimed at you...

Old November 14th 06, 01:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JPG

Pyriform wrote:
JPG wrote:
Pyriform wrote:
diy-newby wrote:
"Prometheus" wrote in message
In article . com,
JPG writes
decent LCD
?
--
Ian G8ILZ
Let me guess you have a CRT from 1950. And still use an abacus

Don't worry about it. Knee-jerk stupidity is fairly common around
here.

What was stupid about my suggestions?

Nothing at all! My comment wasn't aimed at you...

Sorry, I got confused by the strnage post in the middle.

Old November 14th 06, 06:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Prometheus

In article , diy-newby
writes

"Prometheus" wrote in message
In article . com, JPG
writes
decent LCD

?
--
Ian G8ILZ

Let me guess you have a CRT from 1950.

No, it is a few years old; moving images show movement, not blur, and
blacks are not brown.

And still use an abacus

Not sure I have used one since introduction to arithmetic class at
infant school. I still have a 10" double sided slide rule around, I
could still use it if need be, but have not for many, many years.

--
Ian G8ILZ
Old November 14th 06, 06:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Prometheus

In article , Pyriform
writes
diy-newby wrote:
"Prometheus" wrote in message
In article . com,
JPG writes
decent LCD
?
--
Ian G8ILZ

Let me guess you have a CRT from 1950. And still use an abacus

Don't worry about it.

I wont

Knee-jerk stupidity is fairly common around here.

So I have noticed, especially from people who purchase the latest
hi-tech "fashion" and can not accept that "the king is in the
altogether!".

--
Ian G8ILZ