who would be right?

Old November 13th 06, 08:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Heslop

Default who would be right?

in an article in private Eye an issue or two ago it mentioned a
'special' offer on Sky subscriptions for folks living in the shadow of
a stadium, possibly new Wembley or Arsenal's as it has been found that
houses nearby can't get a signal for normal tv. Next issue someone
writes in criticizing the mag for falling into the trap of believing
the only digital tv available is Sky and all the good folks by the
stadium needed was a digital freeview box. My reaction was 'buh?' and
the last issue contained a letter which of course states that as there
was no analogue signal down there then those folks sure as hell are
not going to get freeview either.

I pretty much guessed this when the first reply was posted, but I
thought I'd ask the experts anyway :O)

Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Old November 13th 06, 08:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Paul Heslop wrote:
in an article in private Eye an issue or two ago it mentioned a
'special' offer on Sky subscriptions for folks living in the shadow of
a stadium, possibly new Wembley or Arsenal's as it has been found that
houses nearby can't get a signal for normal tv. Next issue someone
writes in criticizing the mag for falling into the trap of believing
the only digital tv available is Sky and all the good folks by the
stadium needed was a digital freeview box. My reaction was 'buh?' and
the last issue contained a letter which of course states that as there
was no analogue signal down there then those folks sure as hell are
not going to get freeview either.

I pretty much guessed this when the first reply was posted, but I
thought I'd ask the experts anyway :O)

I can't speak for Wembley, but I was involved in the new Arsenal stadium.
I don't think many homes in the area were affected by loss of analogue
services, most to the north and east of the stadium are using Ally Pally
anyway (so no DTT), those to the west and south should still continue to
receive CP, but perhaps all are suffering increased ghosting ?

--
Mark
Old November 13th 06, 08:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

In article ,
Paul Heslop wrote:
in an article in private Eye an issue or two ago it mentioned a
'special' offer on Sky subscriptions for folks living in the shadow of
a stadium, possibly new Wembley or Arsenal's as it has been found that
houses nearby can't get a signal for normal tv. Next issue someone
writes in criticizing the mag for falling into the trap of believing
the only digital tv available is Sky and all the good folks by the
stadium needed was a digital freeview box. My reaction was 'buh?' and
the last issue contained a letter which of course states that as there
was no analogue signal down there then those folks sure as hell are
not going to get freeview either.

I pretty much guessed this when the first reply was posted, but I
thought I'd ask the experts anyway :O)

There isn't a definite answer. The suggestion that "there is no analogue
signal" isn't actually correct, to begin with. There is an analogue
signal, or rather, lots of analogue signals, but the signal is unviewable
because of ghosting (mulipath).

In many cases, the digital signal is 'robust enough' to cope with multipath
signals and deliver a perfect picture. Certainly in early demonstrations
that was one of the 'selling points'.

Another thing to bear in mind as that those living very close to the
stadium (Wembley, by the way) who are blocked in the direction of Crystal
Palace (to the south east) might find themselves blocked from the Astra
satellites as well.

--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11

Old November 13th 06, 08:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Fawthrop

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 08:20:24 GMT, Paul Heslop
wrote:

|in an article in private Eye an issue or two ago it mentioned a
|'special' offer on Sky subscriptions for folks living in the shadow of
|a stadium, possibly new Wembley or Arsenal's as it has been found that
|houses nearby can't get a signal for normal tv. Next issue someone
|writes in criticizing the mag for falling into the trap of believing
|the only digital tv available is Sky and all the good folks by the
|stadium needed was a digital freeview box. My reaction was 'buh?' and
|the last issue contained a letter which of course states that as there
|was no analogue signal down there then those folks sure as hell are
|not going to get freeview either.
|
|I pretty much guessed this when the first reply was posted, but I
|thought I'd ask the experts anyway :O)

There already is a cheapish way the get Sat TV freesatfromsky.
Both BBC and ITV have all their channels Free To Air and could be received
by cheap generic boxes. The only important ones which need an expensive $ky
box, are ch4 and ch5.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Sat Ch4, Ch5, only GBP20
http://www.freesatfromsky.com - "what is freesat?" - "view T&C" -
Old November 13th 06, 10:08 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Heslop

Mark Carver wrote:

I can't speak for Wembley, but I was involved in the new Arsenal stadium.
I don't think many homes in the area were affected by loss of analogue
services, most to the north and east of the stadium are using Ally Pally
anyway (so no DTT), those to the west and south should still continue to
receive CP, but perhaps all are suffering increased ghosting ?

--

I thought I had better do a bit of digging and check details (luckily
hadn't got rid of last few issues- all rights blah blahblah etc etc)

"Throughout the building of the new Wembley Stadium, local residents
have had to put up with bad tv reception caused by the works and the
size of the building.
"All along they have been assured that something would be done to
restore full reception once work was finished. Now Wembley has
announced its exciting new initiative to 'help residents tune in' as
part of their commitment to being a good neighbour... a half-price
subscription to any Sky package for the first six months.
"Given that Sky is currently offering a half priced subscription for
the first three months anyway and that residents are pretty much stuck
with having to switch to digital to deal with their bad reception,
residents are underwhelmed by the offer.
"In a press release Michael Cunnin, chief executive of Wembley
stadium, said he was 'delighted that Sky responded so positively to my
appeal for help.' With a captive audience of every household within a
1.5 mile radius of the stadium why wouldn't it?"
--------------
letter from reader (next issue)
RETCH FOR THE Sky

Sir,
I could not believe it: an item for I-Sky written, not by salaried
Sky employees but by your good selves.
This article purported to be about "Bad tv reception caused
by...the size of the building" (wembley stadium) which could be solved
by "A half priced subscription for six months". This was reinforced in
the next paragraph: Sky is offering a half price subscription for
three months anyway.
Doesn't anyone in your office know that "stuck with having to switch
to digital" does not equal having to switch to Sky?
"This London-wide problem can be rectified very easily with the
purchase of a 40 freeview box - which makes your statement that Sky
has a "Captive market within a 1.5 miles radius of the stadium"
untrue. The statement that "residents are underwhelmed by the offer"
would normally have been seen by you as a smokescreen... tut tut.

H.Martin.
--------------------------
letter this issue

Sir,
Does H.Martin not realise where the signal for a freeview digital
tv box comes from? Via the terrestrial aerial. So, If analogue TV
don't work near Wembley stadium neither will freeview.

David Wood.
Old November 13th 06, 10:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Heslop

charles wrote:

In article ,
Paul Heslop wrote:
[...]

I was wondering about that, being the height of the walls etc I
assumed... imagining a dirty great pole with a dish stuck on top :O)

Old November 13th 06, 10:11 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Heslop

wrote:

|in an article in private Eye an issue or two ago it mentioned a
|'special' offer on Sky subscriptions for folks living in the shadow of
|a stadium, possibly new Wembley or Arsenal's as it has been found that
|houses nearby can't get a signal for normal tv. Next issue someone
|writes in criticizing the mag for falling into the trap of believing
|the only digital tv available is Sky and all the good folks by the
|stadium needed was a digital freeview box. My reaction was 'buh?' and
|the last issue contained a letter which of course states that as there
|was no analogue signal down there then those folks sure as hell are
|not going to get freeview either.
|
|I pretty much guessed this when the first reply was posted, but I
|thought I'd ask the experts anyway :O)

There already is a cheapish way the get Sat TV freesatfromsky.
Both BBC and ITV have all their channels Free To Air and could be received
by cheap generic boxes. The only important ones which need an expensive $ky
box, are ch4 and ch5.

good point Dave, and I doubt that it was made to locals by sky or
wembley.

Old November 13th 06, 10:17 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D.Smith

....snip...
"Throughout the building of the new Wembley Stadium, local residents
have had to put up with bad tv reception caused by the works and the
size of the building.
"All along they have been assured that something would be done to
restore full reception once work was finished. Now Wembley has
announced its exciting new initiative to 'help residents tune in' as
part of their commitment to being a good neighbour... a half-price
subscription to any Sky package for the first six months.

....snip...

So instead of solving the residents' problem, Wembley Stadium is offering to
give them each an additional monthly bill. I hope the residents got the
initial "we'll sort it out later" in writing because this latest offer is
clearly somewhat less than good.

Paul DS.

Old November 13th 06, 10:21 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Heslop

"Paul D.Smith" wrote:

...snip...
"Throughout the building of the new Wembley Stadium, local residents
have had to put up with bad tv reception caused by the works and the
size of the building.
"All along they have been assured that something would be done to
restore full reception once work was finished. Now Wembley has
announced its exciting new initiative to 'help residents tune in' as
part of their commitment to being a good neighbour... a half-price
subscription to any Sky package for the first six months.

...snip...

So instead of solving the residents' problem, Wembley Stadium is offering to
give them each an additional monthly bill. I hope the residents got the
initial "we'll sort it out later" in writing because this latest offer is
clearly somewhat less than good.

Paul DS.

I'd have to agree. Sadly I doubt it and we only have the eye's point
of view to go on.

Old November 13th 06, 10:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Paul D.Smith
writes
...snip...
"Throughout the building of the new Wembley Stadium, local residents
have had to put up with bad tv reception caused by the works and the
size of the building.
"All along they have been assured that something would be done to
restore full reception once work was finished. Now Wembley has
announced its exciting new initiative to 'help residents tune in' as
part of their commitment to being a good neighbour... a half-price
subscription to any Sky package for the first six months.

...snip...

So instead of solving the residents' problem, Wembley Stadium is offering to
give them each an additional monthly bill. I hope the residents got the
initial "we'll sort it out later" in writing because this latest offer is
clearly somewhat less than good.

Paul DS.

Freesat is a system using the sky ASTRA system that enables most all
what's available on freeview and more for a fixed price of 150-00 all
installed which does compare very well with a terrestrial digital TV
install costing around that amount, plus the required box so all in all
it can be done without a subscription....

http://www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/

--
Tony Sayer