BBC website - problems

Old November 14th 06, 09:13 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dickie mint

Default BBC website - problems

Mark Carver wrote:
Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 20:25:24 +0000, Steve Watson

wrote:

Is anyone else having problems with the www.bbc.co.uk website today? It
appears to be broken.

If you mean the main page, then yes, it is totally buggered. It causes
100%
CPU load here and I struggle to kill the browser. Other pages seem OK.
God alone knows what they've done to it.

The Digital Spy site http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/ was behaving
exactly like that for me that last week.

Didn't look at the Beeb site yesterday, but it seems OK here as of
07:50hrs 13/11.

(XP SP2 with Firefox 2.0)

www.bbc.co.uk failed to load a couple of days ago, but was OK via BT
Broadband in Solihull when Ilogged on. (My home page too)

However, of late, DS has loaded the html listing rather than writing the
page! This happened some time ago when they changed server farm? It
got blamed on the advert server not being able to cope.

Comes to something when the need to serve ads overrides the subject matter.
Old November 14th 06, 07:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Dickie mint wrote:

However, of late, DS has loaded the html listing rather than writing the
page! This happened some time ago when they changed server farm? It
got blamed on the advert server not being able to cope.

Comes to something when the need to serve ads overrides the subject matter.

Any DS page tonight that I view soaks up a constant 90-100 % of CPU resource.
With any other web page the CPU usage drops to 5% once the page has loaded.

Could it be those scrolling William Hill ads causing the problem ?

--
Mark