Telewest's French channel - any good? Need a channel for learning French.

Old November 12th 06, 06:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tenby

Default Telewest's French channel - any good? Need a channel for learning French.

Hi I'm learning French and want a French TV channel.

Ideally, I want French subtitles (designed for deaf French people)
since this is great for learning when the words are too fast to follow,
but you still want to try and understand in French.

Sky have such a French channel that looks pretty good for learning.

But I'm with Telewest (phone and broadband) so it's easiest to go with
them.

I believe Telewest do have a French channel you can sign up for.

Can anyone tell me anything about it?
Do you get an option for French language subtitles?
Anything worth watching?

cheers if you can help

tenby

Old November 12th 06, 07:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Terry

"tenby" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi I'm learning French and want a French TV channel.
Ideally, I want French subtitles (designed for deaf French people)
since this is great for learning when the words are too fast to follow,
but you still want to try and understand in French
Sky have such a French channel that looks pretty good for learning.
But I'm with Telewest (phone and broadband) so it's easiest to go with
them.
I believe Telewest do have a French channel you can sign up for.

TV5, same as on Astra2 (what you call sky) you want to pay Telewest for
that!

Wouldn't you be better off putting up a used dish
http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/France.html

Steve Terry

Old November 12th 06, 08:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Steve Terry
writes

"tenby" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi I'm learning French and want a French TV channel.
Ideally, I want French subtitles (designed for deaf French people)
since this is great for learning when the words are too fast to follow,
but you still want to try and understand in French
Sky have such a French channel that looks pretty good for learning.
But I'm with Telewest (phone and broadband) so it's easiest to go with
them.
I believe Telewest do have a French channel you can sign up for.

TV5, same as on Astra2 (what you call sky) you want to pay Telewest for
that!

Wouldn't you be better off putting up a used dish
http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/France.html

Steve Terry

With an old analogue system, or buy one over in a Calais hypermarket you
can have five free to view French channels!....for free
--
Tony Sayer

Old November 12th 06, 09:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh tenby:
Hi I'm learning French and want a French TV channel.

Ideally, I want French subtitles (designed for deaf French people)
since this is great for learning when the words are too fast to
follow, but you still want to try and understand in French.

Sky have such a French channel that looks pretty good for learning.

But I'm with Telewest (phone and broadband) so it's easiest to go with
them.

I believe Telewest do have a French channel you can sign up for.

Can anyone tell me anything about it?
Do you get an option for French language subtitles?
Anything worth watching?

cheers if you can help

tenby

Sky don't have any foreign language channels, however there are a few
foreign language channels on the satellite the Sky channels are on. (A
clue 99.9% of Sky channels have the work Sky in them. Don't get
brainwashed into thinking satellite means only Sky or means Sky).

If you want French channels get a satellite box (not a Sky dodgy-box),
dish and point it at a satellite French channels are broadcast on.

Old November 12th 06, 10:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Michael Chare

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Steve Terry
writes

"tenby" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi I'm learning French and want a French TV channel.
Ideally, I want French subtitles (designed for deaf French people)
since this is great for learning when the words are too fast to follow,
but you still want to try and understand in French
Sky have such a French channel that looks pretty good for learning.
But I'm with Telewest (phone and broadband) so it's easiest to go with
them.
I believe Telewest do have a French channel you can sign up for.

TV5, same as on Astra2 (what you call sky) you want to pay Telewest for
that!

Wouldn't you be better off putting up a used dish
http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/France.html

Steve Terry

With an old analogue system, or buy one over in a Calais hypermarket you
can have five free to view French channels!....for free

To get colour you would need a SECAM enabled TV.

There are FTA digital versions of many of these analogue channels where you can
see the colour with a PAL satellite TV receiver. Hopefully there will be a
digital version of TF1 in the near future.

--

Michael Chare

Old November 12th 06, 11:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Terry

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Steve Terry
writes
"tenby" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

What about one of those cheap SL65 systems from Maplins or Lidls
aren't there some french on DVB on one of the hotbirds or somewhere?

Steve Terry

Old November 12th 06, 11:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vaughan

tenby wrote:
Hi I'm learning French and want a French TV channel.

Ideally, I want French subtitles (designed for deaf French people)
since this is great for learning when the words are too fast to
follow, but you still want to try and understand in French.

Sky have such a French channel that looks pretty good for learning.

But I'm with Telewest (phone and broadband) so it's easiest to go with
them.

I believe Telewest do have a French channel you can sign up for.

Can anyone tell me anything about it?
Do you get an option for French language subtitles?
Anything worth watching?

cheers if you can help

tenby

If you're already with Telewest and you want other digital channels as well
as the French one then you may as well stay with them. To get the French
channel you need to be on the top package which costs 17.50 per month i.e.
210.00 per year.

If you have no need of the other pay TV channels in the package and you're
happy with the digital channels you can get on Freeview or even on
Telewest's 'free TV' package then, as others have suggested, an FTA
satellite setup would be the way to go.

Even if you had to pay an installer you'll probably get a fixed dish system
pointing at Hotbird and Astra 1 for around 200.00 all in. Then you'll have a
multiplicity of French channels to choose from, as well as lots of other
interesting foreign stuff, and the cost will be a one off.

The French channel on Telewest (TV5) is very good and there's loads to
watch - like you I use it to improve my French and they do have a superb
range of French films and TV progs which are taken from French domestic
output. Their current affairs progs are also very interesting and a useful
counterpoint to the pro-USA, pro-Israeli slant we seem to have on British
TV.

TV5 is also free on Hotbird. French Subtitles are normally burnt into their
films but you can also get their Teletext service which carries subtitles.

Old November 13th 06, 08:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Monty L

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in message
. uk...
Thus spaketh tenby:

Hi I'm learning French and want a French TV channel.

Sky don't have any foreign language channels, however there are a few
foreign language channels on the satellite the Sky channels are on. (A
clue 99.9% of Sky channels have the work Sky in them. Don't get
brainwashed into thinking satellite means only Sky or means Sky).

If you want French channels get a satellite box (not a Sky dodgy-box),
dish and point it at a satellite French channels are broadcast on.

TV 5 Monde on Astra 2 is part of the Sky Package and is encrypted in
Videoguard. Try taking your card out and you will see.

TV 5 Monde can be received unencrypted on Hotbird at 13 East along with a
few other free French digital channels.

France 2, France 3, France 4, France 5, ARTE and LCP are free digital
channels on Atlantic Bird 3 at 5 West.

Old November 13th 06, 09:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Philippe Gautier

Vaughan wrote:

The French channel on Telewest (TV5) is very good and there's loads to
watch - like you I use it to improve my French and they do have a superb
range of French films and TV progs which are taken from French domestic
output. Their current affairs progs are also very interesting and a useful
counterpoint to the pro-USA, pro-Israeli slant we seem to have on British
TV.

I agree, it's quite refreshing to see another point of view in the news
when I go home (Belgium). the other nice thing about TV5 is that it's a
sort of "best of" of the different french speaking channels, including
french, Swiss, Belgian (not sure about Canada?)...
Old November 13th 06, 12:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vaughan

Philippe Gautier wrote:
Vaughan wrote:

The French channel on Telewest (TV5) is very good and there's loads
to watch - like you I use it to improve my French and they do have a
superb range of French films and TV progs which are taken from
French domestic output. Their current affairs progs are also very
interesting and a useful counterpoint to the pro-USA, pro-Israeli
slant we seem to have on British TV.

I agree, it's quite refreshing to see another point of view in the
news when I go home (Belgium). the other nice thing about TV5 is that
it's a sort of "best of" of the different french speaking channels,
including french, Swiss, Belgian (not sure about Canada?)...

Yes, they have some Canadian programmes too - what a wierd accent that is!