Thousands hit by HD TV chaos

Old November 12th 06, 01:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Thack

Default Thousands hit by HD TV chaos

I'm waiting untill the main broadcasters have started terrestrial
transmissions of HD before I buy.....

I reckon you'll be waiting a long time, then. My understanding from the
experts hereabouts is that DTTV simply doesn't have enough bandwidth to
carry a significant number of HD channels, and won't, even when the analogue
switch-off has happened.

(If I'm wrong about this, I'll happily stand corrected).

My prediction is that HD will *only* be on subscription channels for the
forseeable future. Sky has the capacity to carry plenty of HD content, but
I'll bet none of it will be on the Freesat channels.

A terrestrial broadcaster will have to buy an unusual amount of bandwidth to
transmit HD, and so will surely have to charge a premium for the service.

I watch both Freeview and Freesat, and the choice is such that I have no
intention of buying any subscription services. I don't expect to need an
HD-ready TV for many years to come. Anyway, even the so-called high
contrast ratio LCD TVs still have blacks that glow grey (at least when I
look at them in a darkened room) - nothing like as good as a top-class CRT
TV. My money stays in my pocket.

Thack

Old November 12th 06, 02:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dr Zoidberg

Dave Farrance wrote:
Graham Murray wrote:

"Dr Zoidberg" writes:

Ok , it seems that HDMI interfaces weren't introduced until 2004
and weren't included as part of the HD ready standard until 2005.
It's difficult to see how manufacturers and retailers can have been
at fault for selling a set without HDMI in 2003.

But it is easy to see how the blame can be attached to whoever
re-defined the HD standard so as to make it incompatible with sets
build to the existing 'HD Ready' standard.

In principle, a DVI socket should have been perfectly acceptable since
all you should need is an HDMI-to-DVI adaptor plug and a separate
connection for the audio. I guess that many those DVI inputs turned
out to be partially dysfunctional, or that there was a bug in the HDCP
decoding. Maybe ECITA realised that those manufacturers that couldn't
be arsed to put in HDMI sockets also tended to be slack in other
aspects of their implementation, so ECITA decided to disallow the DVI
socket to force them to pull their socks up.

As I understand it , the main purpose of using HDMI as the "standard" input
was for copy protection through HDCP , and that was something imposed by
film and tv studios
--
Alex

"I laugh in the face of danger. Then I hide until it goes away"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Old November 12th 06, 02:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Farrance

"Dr Zoidberg" wrote:

As I understand it , the main purpose of using HDMI as the "standard" input
was for copy protection through HDCP , and that was something imposed by
film and tv studios

HDCP can be used with DVI, and that will probably be the standard
combination for PC graphics cards that can play protected content. As
for TVs, an HDMI socket almost invariably implies HDCP as well, so it's
true that HDMI does help to cut down the confusion, but note that the
original spec for HD-Ready required HDCP while allowing either HDMI or
DVI sockets.

--
Dave
Old November 12th 06, 03:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Taylor

On 2006-11-12, Thack wrote:
I'm waiting untill the main broadcasters have started terrestrial
transmissions of HD before I buy.....

I reckon you'll be waiting a long time, then. My understanding from the
experts hereabouts is that DTTV simply doesn't have enough bandwidth to
carry a significant number of HD channels, and won't, even when the analogue
switch-off has happened.

(If I'm wrong about this, I'll happily stand corrected).

My prediction is that HD will *only* be on subscription channels for the
forseeable future.

The BBC are unlikely to become subscription based.

Sky has the capacity to carry plenty of HD content, but
I'll bet none of it will be on the Freesat channels.

I'll bet some of it will.

--
David Taylor
Old November 12th 06, 03:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
AD C

David wrote:
"NO One" wrote in message

Yes that is often the case when the cart is before the horse.

I'm waiting untill the main broadcasters have started terrestrial
transmissions of HD before I buy, been burnt a few times before myself with
other products being out of date a year or so old.

When you buy new technology you take your chance, it is like people who
will rush to buy Blu-ray or DVD-Hd, some of these people will buy a
system that will die, unless they both take off.

My T.V is not due for replacement yet and when the time comes I have no
idea what I will do. I have no interest in Hd, so I will not need to
spend extra on a T.V that will cope. I also at the moment have no
interest in a LCD, plasma or rea projection set.

If my T.v broke down tomorrow and I had to get another one I expect it
will be another CRT one as at the moment they still offer the best
picture. But in five years time, which is when I expect to be replacing
my set, things will have changed, it may be difficult to get a CRT set
or impossible even. But I am certainly not replacing my T.v until it
goes belly up, it does the job I want.

Old November 12th 06, 03:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
DAB sounds worse than FM

Thack wrote:
I'm waiting untill the main broadcasters have started terrestrial
transmissions of HD before I buy.....

I reckon you'll be waiting a long time, then. My understanding from
the experts hereabouts is that DTTV simply doesn't have enough
bandwidth to carry a significant number of HD channels, and won't,
even when the analogue switch-off has happened.

There will be enough bandwidth after analogue switch-off to provide a few HD
channels on Freeview - total DTT capacity is going from 120 Mbps to 192
Mbps, so some of that could be used for HD channels.

Find the cheapest Freeview & DAB prices:
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/fr..._receivers.php
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/dab/dab_radios.php

Old November 12th 06, 03:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
DAB sounds worse than FM

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
David wrote:
"Dr Zoidberg" wrote in message

You can hardly blame Fujitsu for making sets without if it was
before this was a definite requirement

If not them, Currys/Comet for selling them to the unsuspecting UK
public?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD-ready
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

Ok , it seems that HDMI interfaces weren't introduced until 2004 and
weren't included as part of the HD ready standard until 2005.

And it says on the Wiki page that term 'HD-Ready' only became officially
recognised by Jan 2005, so the TV sets that these people are saying were
claimed to be "HD-Ready" almost certainly didn't have a label on saying so.

IMO, it's Sky and NTL's fault for forcing people to have HDMI - not the
retailers' nor the manufacturers' fault.

Old November 12th 06, 03:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:

There will be enough bandwidth after analogue switch-off to provide a few HD
channels on Freeview - total DTT capacity is going from 120 Mbps to 192
Mbps, so some of that could be used for HD channels.

I think you mean from 144 (6 x 24) to 192 (8 x 24) ?

--
Mark
Old November 12th 06, 03:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Thack wrote:

My prediction is that HD will *only* be on subscription channels for the
forseeable future. Sky has the capacity to carry plenty of HD content, but
I'll bet none of it will be on the Freesat channels.

Sky do not own a single satellite. Anyone who wants to launch an SD or HD
service can by renting transponders from Astra or Eurobird.

--
Mark
Old November 12th 06, 03:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian A

Dave Farrance wrote:
"Dr Zoidberg" wrote:

As I understand it , the main purpose of using HDMI as the
"standard" input was for copy protection through HDCP , and that was
something imposed by film and tv studios

HDCP can be used with DVI, and that will probably be the standard
combination for PC graphics cards that can play protected content. As
for TVs, an HDMI socket almost invariably implies HDCP as well, so
it's true that HDMI does help to cut down the confusion, but note
that the original spec for HD-Ready required HDCP while allowing
either HDMI or
DVI sockets.

Some graphics cards are already available with HDMI, I think it's more
likely that DVI will gradually disappear.
--
Adrian