Digital breakup recently in Guildford

Old November 9th 06, 02:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Hearn

Default Digital breakup recently in Guildford

I've been getting lots of pops and breakup on my Humax PVR9200T and also
my Pioneer DBR-TF100. They're both fed from the same aerial and
downlead. We're in Guildford with aerial pointing in the southern
direction - so I'm guessing I'm off the local transmitter on the
A31/Hogs Back which is just a few miles away.

In general the Humax shows strength is about 75%, 100% quality, but
sometimes when the breakup and pops occur, it can drop to 75% strength,
40% quality (sometimes not as low as 40%).

Any suggestions why this might be? It's occuring on all channels I
think, certainly including BBC channels which used to be perfectly fine
up until a few weeks/month ago. In the distant past I remember problems
with Five on my Pioneer box, especially when a dodgy car/moped drives
past - but this appears to include more channels and is quite regular -
in some cases it can go on for 5-10 seconds and occur again a few
seconds/minute later.

I must admit, I think the downlead may not be perfect (it's certainly
had water in it in the past) - however it's been like this for the 3
years we've lived here and hasn't been an issue (until now?).

As an aside - what cost would I expect for a downlead replacement?
Aerial is on stack at front of house, runs down roof and then down front
of house to front room. I guess a better route would be to put it
through the tiles, through the loft and then through the soffits before
down the front. Either way - ideas of replacing, including another
price if I supplied the (quality) cable and did entry into living
room/end plug? We recently (after the problem started btw!) had a
reputable (Trading Standards approved) roofing guy replace some
historically missing tiles for £50. I think that would be a reasonable
(ie. what I would be prepared to pay) price for a downlead replacement
where it just runs down the roof/outside.

Thanks

Old November 9th 06, 04:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike O'Sullivan

David Hearn wrote:
I've been getting lots of pops and breakup on my Humax PVR9200T and also
my Pioneer DBR-TF100. They're both fed from the same aerial and
downlead. We're in Guildford with aerial pointing in the southern
direction - so I'm guessing I'm off the local transmitter on the
A31/Hogs Back which is just a few miles away.

I'm in Chilworth, and get signal from the same relay as you. With the
exception of a very short period of breakup on Ch 5 yesterday, our
reception has been fine, digital and analogue.
Old November 9th 06, 05:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Michael Chare

"David Hearn" wrote in message
I've been getting lots of pops and breakup on my Humax PVR9200T and also
my Pioneer DBR-TF100. They're both fed from the same aerial and
downlead. We're in Guildford with aerial pointing in the southern
direction - so I'm guessing I'm off the local transmitter on the
A31/Hogs Back which is just a few miles away.

In general the Humax shows strength is about 75%, 100% quality, but
sometimes when the breakup and pops occur, it can drop to 75% strength,
40% quality (sometimes not as low as 40%).

Any suggestions why this might be?

See the Problems with Sat TV due to weather thread!

[...]

You should check that your aerial is the right type for your transmitter using

http://www.wolfbane.com/articles/tvr.htm

If your are going to do anything I would suggest replacing both the aerial and
the downlead. The aerial may have corroded anyway if it is more than a few
years old. When it comes to installing TV aerials it is the labour rather than
the materials which is the expensive part. So you may as well have new
materials.

--

Michael Chare

Old November 10th 06, 12:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
-

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
[...]

Well if you ring around there are some firms claiming to offer new aerial
installations from £48.00 and that's within your budget. Book one of them
and then take some photos and post them on here where it's all finished. I'd
love to know what a £48.00 installation consists of.

Old November 10th 06, 01:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"-GB-Carpy" wrote in message
.uk...
Well if you ring around there are some firms claiming to offer new aerial
installations from £48.00 and that's within your budget. Book one of them
and then take some photos and post them on here where it's all finished.
I'd love to know what a £48.00 installation consists of.

I'm told that some of the riggers of Oldham charge £45. The do not use
meters. Apparently their work is of the lowest imaginable standard.

Old November 10th 06, 05:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
-

"Bill Wright" wrote in message

"-GB-Carpy" wrote in message
.uk...
Well if you ring around there are some firms claiming to offer new aerial
installations from £48.00 and that's within your budget. Book one of them
and then take some photos and post them on here where it's all finished.
I'd love to know what a £48.00 installation consists of.

I'm told that some of the riggers of Oldham charge £45. The do not use
meters. Apparently their work is of the lowest imaginable standard.
Bill

Well at £45 or £48 a time you'll never be able to pay for an expensive field
strength meter will you. I would hazard a guess that the same applies to
things like public liability insurance, safety / PPE equipment and other
important items you'd be crazy to work without.

I must admit it does get my goat a bit when people ring and ask for
installation prices. They then recoil in horror because they have a price
already from another firm for £48 all in. I try and explain that £48 almost
certainly won't be the final cost, and there are good installations and bad
ones so the cheapest quote isn't always the one to go for but a lot of the
time it falls on deaf ears.

I'm not going to start lying about the cost over the phone just to get my
"foot in the door" as some companies do. What to do though?

Old November 10th 06, 10:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Hearn

Mike O'Sullivan wrote:
David Hearn wrote:
I've been getting lots of pops and breakup on my Humax PVR9200T and
also my Pioneer DBR-TF100. They're both fed from the same aerial and
downlead. We're in Guildford with aerial pointing in the southern
direction - so I'm guessing I'm off the local transmitter on the
A31/Hogs Back which is just a few miles away.

I'm in Chilworth, and get signal from the same relay as you. With the
exception of a very short period of breakup on Ch 5 yesterday, our
reception has been fine, digital and analogue.

That's good to know - thanks.

Old November 10th 06, 10:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Hearn

Michael Chare wrote:
[...]

Seeing as I've had the Pioneer box since Dec 2003, and the Humax from
Dec 2005, and never had any problems with reception until a month or so,
I'm guessing that the aerial is the right type.

About replacing the aerial and downlead - that is something I've
considered, and if necessary will do - although you do hear bad things
about people charging the earth for what effectively is an el-cheapo job
from B&Q for £9.99.

Thanks

Old November 10th 06, 10:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Hearn

-GB-Carpy wrote:
[...]

£48 for a full aerial fitting and downlead? I think I'll steer clear of
that!

Whilst the price I hoped for might be on the low side, it was just for
fitting already supplied cable to an already present aerial.

Old November 10th 06, 11:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Hearn

-GB-Carpy wrote:
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
"-GB-Carpy" wrote in message
.uk...
[...]

Looking at Trading Standard's Buy With Condifence scheme (ie. approved
retailers), one of the closer aerial installers on their scheme is
Horizon Satellite and Aerial Systems Ltd in Basingstoke. Their (basic)
website is at http://www.horizonsatellites.co.uk/

Specifically for aerials etc:
http://www.horizonsatellites.co.uk/R...iceCallout.htm

They give a £49 callout charge for "technical signal assessment, setting
up an aerial rig for assessing signal levels before rigging and tuning
to any TV/Video/HiFi. Parts (e.g. cable, aerial, lashing kit, brackets)
are charged extra. If the Aerial callout turns into a new aerial install
then the callout charge comes off of the installation price." Now, a
skeptic in me would say that many of their callouts ends into new aerial
installs - but they are backed by Trading Standards and say: "When you
call Horizon we shall give an indication of the price for the type of
works you require. Don’t be caught out by a ‘free’ or ‘no call out
charge’ and then end up paying an extortionate charge when the work is
complete."

They quote £125 for "high gain" TV aerial install going up to £175 for
"super gain" and "All of the TV Aerials that we supply are digital
ready. We currently use either the Alcad Highgain Aerial, Triax
Supergain and Unix 52 Aerials."

With regard to cable, they say: "Cable We only use double screened, foam
type cable. This has a high grade copper inner. WF100 type."

Masts: "All masts that we use are aluminium. For Alcad aerials we can
use 3’ to 10’ masts. With the supergain and Unix 52 aerials we can use
between 6’ and 16’ masts."

Connectors: "Connectors For all coax cable connections we only use snap
and seal connectors. These are the best connectors to use as they are
watertight so water can't get into the connection after the install is
completed and once on the connector is almost impossible to remove."

Now, does those prices seem reasonable and does their parts sound of
good enough quality?

Thanks,

David