Digital breakup recently in Guildford

Old November 11th 06, 12:13 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

Default Digital breakup recently in Guildford

"-GB-Carpy" wrote in message
.uk...

I'm not going to start lying about the cost over the phone just to get my
"foot in the door" as some companies do. What to do though?

Stick to your guns, even though it can seem hard. One happy customer will
tell maybe two friends. One customer that's been ripped off will tell ten.
I've always refused to lower my standards and it's worked for me. The fact
is, as we approach analogue switch off, we aren't going to be short of work.
In fact, if the 1970s 'colour boom' was anything to go by, there will be
loads of cowboys milling around. That won't hurt us though, because there
will be enough work to do for people who want it doing right.

Old November 11th 06, 12:17 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"David Hearn" wrote in message
They give a 49 callout charge for "technical signal assessment, setting
up an aerial rig for assessing signal levels before rigging and tuning to
any TV/Video/HiFi. Parts (e.g. cable, aerial, lashing kit, brackets) are
charged extra. If the Aerial callout turns into a new aerial install then
the callout charge comes off of the installation price." Now, a skeptic
in me would say that many of their callouts ends into new aerial installs

No, we operate a similar system and I think installers who do are far less
likely to try to turn a signal check into a new aerial. After all, it's OK
to take 50 and move quickly to the next call. It isn't OK to do a free call
out and then not sell anything.

Old November 11th 06, 12:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
-

"Bill Wright" wrote in message

"-GB-Carpy" wrote in message
.uk...

I'm not going to start lying about the cost over the phone just to get my
"foot in the door" as some companies do. What to do though?

Stick to your guns, even though it can seem hard. One happy customer will
tell maybe two friends. One customer that's been ripped off will tell ten.
I've always refused to lower my standards and it's worked for me. The fact
is, as we approach analogue switch off, we aren't going to be short of
work. In fact, if the 1970s 'colour boom' was anything to go by, there
will be loads of cowboys milling around. That won't hurt us though,
because there will be enough work to do for people who want it doing
right.

Bill

Sometimes I wonder what's going to happen after the switch off. I mean if
the transmitters boom Freeview at a much higher power there will be less
requirement for good installers, and those cowboys that just whack up a
nasty contract wideband and point it vaguely in the right direction will get
away with it more often.

Old November 11th 06, 01:12 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"-GB-Carpy" wrote in message
.uk...
Sometimes I wonder what's going to happen after the switch off. I mean if
the transmitters boom Freeview at a much higher power there will be less
requirement for good installers, and those cowboys that just whack up a
nasty contract wideband and point it vaguely in the right direction will
get away with it more often.

Don't worry, by then fixing aerials on houses will be a tiny part of your
business.

Old November 11th 06, 09:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Hearn

Bill Wright wrote:
"David Hearn" wrote in message
They give a 49 callout charge for "technical signal assessment, setting
up an aerial rig for assessing signal levels before rigging and tuning to
any TV/Video/HiFi. Parts (e.g. cable, aerial, lashing kit, brackets) are
charged extra. If the Aerial callout turns into a new aerial install then
the callout charge comes off of the installation price." Now, a skeptic
in me would say that many of their callouts ends into new aerial installs

No, we operate a similar system and I think installers who do are far less
likely to try to turn a signal check into a new aerial. After all, it's OK
to take 50 and move quickly to the next call. It isn't OK to do a free call
out and then not sell anything.

Bill

That's good to know they sound fair. Any opinions on the rest of the
post regarding the rest of their service (aerials, cables, connectors,
masts etc used)?

Thanks

David
Old November 12th 06, 04:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

David Hearn wrote:

That's good to know they sound fair. Any opinions on the rest of the
post regarding the rest of their service (aerials, cables, connectors,
masts etc used)?

I've no direct experience of Horizon of Basingstoke's aerial work, I've seen
some of their installs and they look competent enough, if sometimes perhaps
a little OTT for the reception conditions in the area.

I did once have to sort out a Sky install they'd done, where they'd
attempted to connect up the Sky box into a system containing a DVD, and VCR.
It was a shambles, completely wrong, and as per usual the Sky box was set to
4:3 and PAL for feeding a 16:9 TV set.

Another Basingstoke firm who I do have good personal experience of is this
lot :-

http://www.cdi.uk.com/

They will cover your area I think.

--