Is there a decent HD/DVD Recorder with Freeview, ethernet connection to PC, pref non-proprietary HD Format?

Old November 8th 06, 09:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive

Default Is there a decent HD/DVD Recorder with Freeview, ethernet connection to PC, pref non-proprietary HD Format?

I'm reappraising the (too much) AV kit I have here, and am realising that I
have begun to use the Panasonic HD/DVD Recorder almost exclusively for CCTV.
This may seem strange for (at the time of purchase) such an expensive piece
of kit, but there are a number of problems in using it for other purposes.

1) It has a non-standard HD format, so you can't backup what's on the HD
except via the machine onto DVD-RAM, which has it's own set of difficulties
- It is comparatively expensive
- It can also be quite delicate, I've scratched one or two

2) The size of the HD is pre-encoded in the software (doh!), so that even
if I were to put a bigger HD in it, I'd still end up with the same recording
capacity.

3) To transfer programs to PC for authoring onto DVD, I have to use the
afore slighted DVD-RAM, and ...
- You have to have the PC set up correctly:
* A compatible DVD drive
* UDF drivers
.... and the slightest change on the PC, eg: installing some software, can
wreck the compatibility. Contrast with the satellite receiver where I just
copy via the network!

4) It only has an analogue terrestrial tuner.

So is there a HD/DVD Recorder which:

+ Preferably uses a standard, easily replaceable disk and format.
+ Has ethernet access to copy recordings off the disk.
+ Has Freeview tuners at least, pref Freeview and satellite
+ Can record analogue signals via SCART or Composite video input

?

TIA for any advice ...

Old November 8th 06, 09:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian B

"Java Jive" wrote in message
. uk...

So is there a HD/DVD Recorder which:

+ Preferably uses a standard, easily replaceable disk and format.
+ Has ethernet access to copy recordings off the disk.
+ Has Freeview tuners at least, pref Freeview and satellite
+ Can record analogue signals via SCART or Composite video input

?

TIA for any advice ...

Well.... Yes and no. One or two of the regulars here will tell you that such
a device is a bad idea - and in some ways they are right. Freeview/DTT HDD
recorders, for simplicity's sake, should record the MPEG stream directly
off-air to the HDD, without any re-encoding. Analogue recorders have to
encode the signal into MPEG2 themselves, which results in a loss of quality
and is slow to do (usually real-time). The upshot is that adding a DVD
burner to an efficient HDD recorder - especially a twin tuner version -
results in a DVD recorder which can't burn quickly from the HDD. The
alternative is to do as the analogue recorders do and encode / transcode
everything before it is written to the HDD, just on the off-chance that it
might eventually be written to DVD.

On balance therefore, it seems sensible to get the HDD recording / PVR
functionality right and leave the DVD burning to a PC, but if you do that,
there will be no MPEG encoder, and you won't be able to record any analogue
signal, including the one which comes from a SCART input.

The closest to your wish list is the rather expensive Sony unit. There is
also a cheap Yamada box sold by Maplin which re-encodes everything before
saving to the HDD, so the quality is not great.

As for replaceable HDDs, I have no idea...

I'm now looking for a good twin tuner PVR with WiFi (for transferring to the
PC for backup / burning to DVD).

Adrian

Old November 8th 06, 10:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive

Thanks for this response, most helpful in getting my ideas straightened out

"Adrian B" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
"Java Jive" wrote in message
. uk...

So is there a HD/DVD Recorder which:

+ Preferably uses a standard, easily replaceable disk and format.
+ Has ethernet access to copy recordings off the disk.
+ Has Freeview tuners at least, pref Freeview and satellite
+ Can record analogue signals via SCART or Composite video input

Oops,

+ HD
+ All the current DVD formats - DL/Blue-Ray/etc
+ Region free-able

Well.... Yes and no. One or two of the regulars here will tell you that

such
a device is a bad idea - and in some ways they are right. Freeview/DTT HDD
recorders, for simplicity's sake, should record the MPEG stream directly
off-air to the HDD, without any re-encoding.

Agreed.

Analogue recorders have to
encode the signal into MPEG2 themselves, which results in a loss of

quality
and is slow to do (usually real-time).

Agreed.

The upshot is that adding a DVD
burner to an efficient HDD recorder - especially a twin tuner version -
results in a DVD recorder which can't burn quickly from the HDD. The
alternative is to do as the analogue recorders do and encode / transcode
everything before it is written to the HDD, just on the off-chance that it
might eventually be written to DVD.

Or to allow the user to choose which recording method to use for digital
signals ...

On balance therefore, it seems sensible to get the HDD recording / PVR
functionality right

Yes, a must have!

and leave the DVD burning to a PC, but if you do that,
there will be no MPEG encoder, and you won't be able to record any

analogue
signal, including the one which comes from a SCART input.

Would like the choice though ...

The closest to your wish list is the rather expensive Sony unit. There is
also a cheap Yamada box sold by Maplin which re-encodes everything before
saving to the HDD, so the quality is not great.

Any idea of model number for the Sony?

As for replaceable HDDs, I have no idea...

Yes, I think that might turn out to be a problem.

I'm now looking for a good twin tuner PVR with WiFi (for transferring to

the
PC for backup / burning to DVD).

Good luck!

I'm still using the Pace Twin for recordings where time-shifting is the only
requirement, its last software update finally got it just about there for
that, or for Freeview channels encrypted on satellite, but it's not really
very good for that - I used TwinRip for the first time in months to try
and save a film, but it had been recorded in such a non-standard format that
it couldn't be turned into a DVD, and all the effort of getting the drive
out of the box was thus wasted. Where possible, I try and record anything I
might want to keep via FTA satellite.

Let us here know how you get on ...

Old November 8th 06, 01:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mel

"Java Jive" wrote in message
. uk...
Thanks for this response, most helpful in getting my ideas straightened
out

"Adrian B" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
"Java Jive" wrote in message
. uk...

[...]

try this link

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/produ...oductID=499459

Mel.

Old November 8th 06, 02:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive

Thanks, product looks interesting, but there's absolutely no way I'll ever
buy anything from Scan again. I see Amazon have it for only a little bit
more though ...
http://tinyurl.com/y4ejzo
.... standing in for ...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/DTR-850D-int.../dp/B000GHS4DM

Old November 8th 06, 03:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian B

"Java Jive" wrote in message
Thanks, product looks interesting, but there's absolutely no way I'll ever
buy anything from Scan again. I see Amazon have it for only a little bit
more though ...

I use Scan all the time, but collect everything (I work across the road from
their warehouse). Why wouldn't you use them again?

Here's the unit Maplin is selling :
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...86&criter ia=

It doesn't look as feature packed as the Scan/Amazon device, but it is a
little cheaper.

I assume that both these units decode the stream then re-encode before
writing to DVD/ HDD.

Adrian

Old November 8th 06, 04:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
MH

"Mel" wrote in message ...

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/produ...oductID=499459

Mel.

This box looks quite nice, except it appears to only have a single Freeview
decoder. This presumably means you can't record one programme
whilst watching another....?

MH

Old November 8th 06, 04:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive

Historically, I'd stopped buying from them once before because of dodgy
goods, hard drives with high bad sector counts that soon packed up, etc, but
about three years ago, I decided to give them a second chance.

About 18 months ago I had a motherboard failure, during the course of
sorting out which it transpired that they had sold me memory that was
unsuitable for that motherboard (I always buy motherboard, CPU, and memory
together on the understanding that they are suitable for each other). The
motherboard they supplied in replacement was of lower spec to the original,
and I only accepted it on the understanding stated in an email that all the
pieces they had supplied must work together for the replacement to be
acceptable. The mismatched, low-spec RAM would only work one piece at a
time in single channel mode, and they refused to accept any responsibility
for or replace it, or to accept the replacement motherboard back and give me
a refund.

I approached my credit card bank with a view to them helping me take Scan to
court, but in the end, as a long-standing customer, they decided it was
cheaper and easier to reimburse me themselves for the faulty parts, which is
what Scan ought to have done freely and without compulsion in the first
place.

The whole business was a nightmare that wasted hours of energy and time
incurring high phone bills and writing long, complex letters with
multitudinous photocopied attachments communicating first with Scan and then
with the bank - who had outsourced that department to India where English
did not appear to be anybody's first language; it was only when I wrote a
letter to head-office in the UK insisting that whoever dealt with the case
must have been educated in this country with English as their first language
that I finally got a result.

Never, ever again.

news:[email protected]

Old November 8th 06, 10:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dominic

"Adrian B" wrote:
"Java Jive" wrote in message
Thanks, product looks interesting, but there's absolutely no way I'll ever
buy anything from Scan again. I see Amazon have it for only a little bit
more though ...

I use Scan all the time, but collect everything (I work across the road from
their warehouse). Why wouldn't you use them again?

Do they still have a lit up sign indoors with "Return's Department" or
some such apostrophe catastrophe on it? I found that rather worrying.

dom.