tv licence enforcment

Old November 5th 06, 06:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
DubDriver

Default tv licence enforcment

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
Hi.. quick question..

i have had a visit from tv licencing today. i refused him entry
to my property but said they would apply for a warrent to enter
the property of course i am not using recieving equipment but refuse
to allow
these meatheads access...

anyone know if they generaly bother geting warrents or is it
normally just a threat ????

They can and do do so but only in extreme situations. Being bloody minded
and rude actually increases the chances they will do.

The BBC TVL Gestapo don't bother with warrants.

They are not law enforcement officers and have no legal powers to
interview, detain, or enter premises. You are perfectly within your
rights to tell them to "**** off" and desist trespassing on your
land.

Not a very civilised way to behave. A polite refusal is usually much more
effective but I doubt you have ever tried it.

I think they do have right of entry - it is not only law enforcement
officers who have this - gas and electricity officials do too.

TV licencsing staff do not have right of entry without a warrant. There
are a wide variety of other officials that do have powers of entry but in
practice they usually do their job by consent.

and the Valuation Office Agency (to survey for Council Tax or
Business Rates purposes)

See above.

Peter Crosland

What's this about then?
"The Valuation Office Agency's powers to enter people's homes should be
abolished." implies that they do have a right of entry?
and
http://www.theyworkforyou.com/lords/...peaker%3A12928
"an officer of the Valuation Office Agency has a power, provided by Section
26 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992, to enter a resident's home in
order to survey and value that property for council tax purposes."

Old November 5th 06, 07:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Crosland

[...]

And your point is what exactly?

Peter Crosland

Old November 5th 06, 07:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
DubDriver

[...]

Sorry, I inadvertently replied to your post instead of harrogate3, who said
" ... The Police do NOT have a SRE, nor at the moment do the Valuation
Office Agency, but Bliar is about to change that."

Old November 5th 06, 08:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Crosland

And your point is what exactly?

Sorry, I inadvertently replied to your post instead of harrogate3,
who said " ... The Police do NOT have a SRE, nor at the moment do the
Valuation Office Agency, but Bliar is about to change that."

Makes sense! Thanks.

Peter Crosland

Old November 5th 06, 09:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 13:04:04 -0000, "Rob" wrote:

Quite agree, Having been pursued and sent what can only be described as
threatening letters just because my home can be addressed in two different
ways I agree that TV Licencing call you a liar, cheat and law breaker with
no evidence save that of statistics.

You can't even escape the accusations by watching a DVD. The first
thing you see is a caption listing the places you're allowed to watch
it, and threatening horrible penalties for watching it anywhere else,
and sometimes this is followed by a raucous couple of minutes telling
you how naughty it is to copy it, often with the skip and spool
buttons disabled.

As this ballyhoo will simply be an irrelevant annoyance to honest
people and ignored by the dishonest ones, and as the sound recording
industry seems to have survived for a century without anything
equivalent on their published output, I wonder why anybody thinks
there is any point to it?

Old November 5th 06, 11:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Netmask

"Heracles Pollux" wrote in message

"me" wrote in message
Hi.. quick question..

i have had a visit from tv licencing today. i refused him entry to my
property but said they would apply for a warrent to enter the property

of course i am not using recieving equipment but refuse to allow these
meatheads access...

anyone know if they generaly bother geting warrents or is it normally
just a threat ????

thnx

The BBC TVL Gestapo don't bother with warrants.

They are not law enforcement officers and have no legal powers to
interview, detain, or enter premises. You are perfectly within your rights
to tell them to "**** off" and desist trespassing on your land.

I'm amazed you still have this costly and inefficient system in the UK. In
Oz, licensing branch was abolished over 30 years ago and the ABC simply
funded directly from consolidated revenue. The other public broadcaster SBS
is likewise funded as well as being allowed to top up with commercials. The
other 3 networks are 100% commercial.

Old November 6th 06, 12:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"charles" wrote in message ...
In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:

The whole think could be easily solved by abolishing the present
collection method and instituting a system of hypothocated direct
taxation.

You mean: charge everyone and they have to prove their lack of a set?

Anyone without a TV set would fill in a form at the Post Office. They would then be sent a cheque for the licence fee amount. Of course the list of potential evaders would then be a fraction of what is is at present. Policing the system would be so much more simple, and miscreants wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Old November 6th 06, 06:49 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Terry

"Pyriform" wrote in message
Heracles Pollux wrote:
The BBC TVL Gestapo don't bother with warrants.

They are not law enforcement officers and have no legal powers to
interview, detain, or enter premises. You are perfectly within your
rights to tell them to "**** off" and desist trespassing on your
land.

I think they do have right of entry - it is not only law enforcement
officers who have this - gas and electricity officials do too.

You may think so.

I have studied these laws in considerable detail.

The BBC TVL do not.

I'm sure you have. It's what allows you to come on here loudly bragging
about your criminality, secure in the knowledge that bringing you to
justice will be difficult and costly for the rest of us.

He is not breaking the law.

Quote **** of course i am not using recieving equipment but refuse to
allow these
meatheads access... ******

Regards

Old November 6th 06, 06:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Terry

"me" wrote in message
Hi.. quick question..

i have had a visit from tv licencing today. i refused him entry to my
property but said they would apply for a warrent to enter the property

of course i am not using recieving equipment but refuse to allow these
meatheads access...

anyone know if they generaly bother geting warrents or is it normally
just a threat ????

thnx

The BBC TVL Gestapo don't bother with warrants.

They are not law enforcement officers and have no legal powers to
interview, detain, or enter premises. You are perfectly within your rights
to tell them to "**** off" and desist trespassing on your land.

Is a Pc with broadband counted as receiving equipment.

Regards

Old November 6th 06, 08:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Pyriform

Terry wrote:
"Pyriform" wrote in message
Heracles Pollux wrote:
[...]

Try to learn how to use your newsreader. You will then be able to understand
who is saying what, and who is replying to whom.