How will it happen? Anologue off, digital on?

Old October 12th 06, 07:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
harrogate3

Default How will it happen? Anologue off, digital on? Radio Leeds and York

"David" wrote in message

"harrogate3" wrote in message

It's the same with traffic news: Radio Leeds never say anything

about
Harrogate unless it affects the A61 or the A661 as Harrogate is

under
Radio York's area, but I would guess far more residents of

Harrogate
work in Leeds than in York!

Intersting but I'm in West yorkshire west of Leeds and listen to R

Leeds but
as soon as I go to Leeds go a little north east the RDS brings York

in
whilst I'm still in Leeds area. So I would have thought those in

Leeds from
York would get York all the way.
--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Ah, now there's a simple answer to that one.

It varies from make to make but there is a facility in most car radios
labelled 'Reg.' On my current Astra Co car it has it's own button; in
the last car (Vectra) you had to hold down the program button for
'reg' to appear on the display. On most car radios there is either a
'reg' logo on the display, or 'reg' shows briefly if it is active when
the station is changed.

A chap from the BBC sent me a long missive about it best part of a
decade ago. It is all about how 'local' radio is used in different
places. In the UK we have defined, stand alone local radio stations,
whereas in Germany for instance local radio is an opt-out from a
national station. As a result the RDS code is not all used over
there - specifically the third character is ignored. Over here
stations within the same region have the same basic code but
differentiated by the third character: if the third character is
ignored the radio would assume BBC Leeds/York/Hull/Sheffield to be the
same station. Switching on 'reg' forces the radio to examine all four
characters and thus be able to tell the difference.

There are also differences with the AF (alterntative frequencies)
table. Over here we radiate it per station or region. Thus your radio
may try to receive any station of the same program with the region,
but if it sees data related to another part of the country it will be
ignored. To check for presence of signal takes the radio about 7mS: to
check if the station is valid, i.e. to read the RDS) takes about
300mS - hence why you sometimes get holes in the audio in poor signal
areas as the radio searches. As the AF table is sent per station it
takes only a few seconds to complete: in Germany not only is the whole
table sent out nationally - which takes about 40 minutes to complete -
but to save time radios in Germany (i.e. Blaupunkt and Grundig)
remember every station they have ever heard and will search of their
own accord in memory rather than wait for the full AF table.

What was that about a standard?

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old October 12th 06, 11:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Terry

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
"harrogate3" wrote in message
Every day people ring for new digital aerials. They can't take it in when
I say, "Try your existing aerial. Ring me back if it doesn't work." One
bloke accused me of not wanting to work for him because he had a foreign
accent!
Bill

It's only cos I is black

Ali G

Old October 12th 06, 11:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Virgils Ghost

"Bill Wright" wrote in message

"harrogate3" wrote in message
You are much an exception Bill, but I would guess thousands of people
will have a group B analogue aerial replaced with a shiny new
'digital' aerial that is also group B because they know no better or
because they read an article in the local scandal sheet written by a
semi-litterate who can't thell the difference between a TV aerial and
a washing machine and can't be bothered to find out either. [Washing
machines on the top of aerial poles? Now there's a prospect!]

Don't worry Bill, your pension is safe.

Every day people ring for new digital aerials. They can't take it in when
I say, "Try your existing aerial. Ring me back if it doesn't work." One
bloke accused me of not wanting to work for him because he had a foreign
accent!

From otherside of tut Pennines was he?

One chap got himself in trouble for saying "I don't do foreigners" when
offered work on the side, which apparently used to be quite a common phrase
for turning down 'independent consultancy work' regardless of the origin of
the provocateur

Old October 13th 06, 07:08 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Cartmell

In article ,
Virgils Ghost wrote:
[clearly a southern foreigner]

"Bill Wright" wrote in message

"harrogate3" wrote in message
You are much an exception Bill, but I would guess thousands of people
will have a group B analogue aerial replaced with a shiny new
'digital' aerial that is also group B because they know no better or
because they read an article in the local scandal sheet written by a
semi-litterate who can't thell the difference between a TV aerial and
a washing machine and can't be bothered to find out either. [Washing
machines on the top of aerial poles? Now there's a prospect!]

Don't worry Bill, your pension is safe.

Every day people ring for new digital aerials. They can't take it in when
I say, "Try your existing aerial. Ring me back if it doesn't work." One
bloke accused me of not wanting to work for him because he had a foreign
accent!

From otherside of tut Pennines was he?

T'other side on t'hills.

One chap got himself in trouble for saying "I don't do foreigners" when
offered work on the side, which apparently used to be quite a common phrase
for turning down 'independent consultancy work' regardless of the origin of
the provocateur

Foreigners (furriners) are still the way to get gash money.

Old October 13th 06, 02:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roger Hunt

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006, Virgils Ghost typed this :

"Ben" wrote in message
Virgils Ghost wrote:
"Martin Jay" wrote in message
In message , David B.
writes
That sounds about right John. As I understand it, the plan for the
Whitehaven area (*First to be Forced*) is that BBC2 analogue will be
switched off and replaced by a digital multiplex a full month before
the
final switchover date.
What's the plan for BBC Two in Wales, where analogue and digital show
different programming in the evening?

Existing analogue channels will simply display idents of sheep endless
wondering around until people finally get the message.

Not tied to lamp posts then?

Maybe in the Cardiff area.

.... outside pubs.
--