How will it happen? Anologue off, digital on?

Old October 11th 06, 06:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ben

Default How will it happen? Anologue off, digital on?

David B. wrote:
That sounds about right John. As I understand it, the plan for the
Whitehaven area (*First to be Forced*) is that BBC2 analogue will be
switched off and replaced by a digital multiplex a full month before the
final switchover date.

Plan for Whitehaven;
http://www.ukfree.tv/shutdowndetail.php?tx=NX992123
Plan for Emley (since David mentioned it as an example);
http://www.ukfree.tv/shutdowndetail.php?tx=SE222128

In fact, just pick your local transmitter here...
http://www.ukfree.tv/closedown.php
Old October 11th 06, 06:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Virgils Ghost wrote:

I think it will be staged so BBC Two and C4 analogue disappear some
weeks/months beforehand to clear the way for the high powered PSB muxes.

No, only BBC2.

I attended an industry talk in February this year, given by Digital UK.

My understanding of what was said, has been published on Mike Brown's Tx web
site:-

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/dso/facts.asp

--
Mark
Old October 11th 06, 07:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

David wrote:
"charles" wrote in message .
Like a fishing licence, the TV licence offers no guarantee of catching
anything ;-)

Yes, but it seems something like "WE" have decided you will not recieve all
the terrestrial digital. "THEY" have decided to make limited transmission
in some areas.

Yes, they've had to.
There's not enough spectrum available (remember UHF 31-40 and 63-68 are
being auctioned off too) to accommodate six muxes at all 1154 sites.

Secondly the three muxes in question, are commercial ones. It would not make
economic sense for the operators of those muxes to equip 900 odd sites.
They'd never get the money back in advertising revenue would they?

Remember ITV and C4 are still defined as 'Public Service' broadcasters (ha!)
so PSB 2 has to be available (along with PSB 1 and 3) at all sites.

--
Mark
Old October 11th 06, 07:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Ben wrote:
David B. wrote:
That sounds about right John. As I understand it, the plan for the
Whitehaven area (*First to be Forced*) is that BBC2 analogue will be
switched off and replaced by a digital multiplex a full month before the
final switchover date.

Plan for Whitehaven;
http://www.ukfree.tv/shutdowndetail.php?tx=NX992123
Plan for Emley (since David mentioned it as an example);
http://www.ukfree.tv/shutdowndetail.php?tx=SE222128

In fact, just pick your local transmitter here...
http://www.ukfree.tv/closedown.php

You need to take the data on that site with a pinch of salt.

Firstly it still refers to Mux 1,2,A,B,C,D. That's not what the new high
power muxes will be called. Secondly AIUI [mux-UHF] channel allocations and
exact changeover dates have yet to be confirmed, certainly for the areas
coming after the Border region.

--
Mark
Old October 11th 06, 07:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Virgils Ghost

"Ben" wrote in message
Virgils Ghost wrote:
"Martin Jay" wrote in message
In message , David B.
writes
That sounds about right John. As I understand it, the plan for the
Whitehaven area (*First to be Forced*) is that BBC2 analogue will be
switched off and replaced by a digital multiplex a full month before
the
final switchover date.
What's the plan for BBC Two in Wales, where analogue and digital show
different programming in the evening?

Existing analogue channels will simply display idents of sheep endless
wondering around until people finally get the message.

Not tied to lamp posts then?

Maybe in the Cardiff area.

Old October 11th 06, 07:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Virgils Ghost

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
Virgils Ghost wrote:

I think it will be staged so BBC Two and C4 analogue disappear some
weeks/months beforehand to clear the way for the high powered PSB muxes.

No, only BBC2.

I attended an industry talk in February this year, given by Digital UK.

My understanding of what was said, has been published on Mike Brown's Tx
web site:-

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/dso/facts.asp

Thanks Mark, I'm sure BBC Two and its taboo channels will clear the way for
the PSB muxes.

Old October 11th 06, 07:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
André Coutanche

Mark Carver wrote:
Ben wrote:
In fact, just pick your local transmitter here...
http://www.ukfree.tv/closedown.php

You need to take the data on that site with a pinch of salt.

Firstly it still refers to Mux 1,2,A,B,C,D. That's not what the new
high power muxes will be called. Secondly AIUI [mux-UHF] channel
allocations and exact changeover dates have yet to be confirmed,
certainly for the areas coming after the Border region.

And for my tx (Bristol Ilchester Crescent) it shows only five muxes
after switch-over - which would be worrying if it were true!

André Coutanche

Old October 11th 06, 07:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
André Coutanche

Mark Carver wrote:
My understanding of what was said, has been published on Mike
Brown's
Tx web site:-

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/dso/facts.asp

It could do with updating, though - it refers to events which "will
happen" in May 2006.

André Coutanche

Old October 11th 06, 07:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Ben" wrote in message
David B. wrote:
That sounds about right John. As I understand it, the plan for the
Whitehaven area (*First to be Forced*) is that BBC2 analogue will be
switched off and replaced by a digital multiplex a full month before the
final switchover date.

Plan for Whitehaven;
http://www.ukfree.tv/shutdowndetail.php?tx=NX992123
Plan for Emley (since David mentioned it as an example);
http://www.ukfree.tv/shutdowndetail.php?tx=SE222128

In fact, just pick your local transmitter here...
http://www.ukfree.tv/closedown.php

On
http://www.ukfree.tv/fullstory.php?storyid=1107051168
the map of Crosspool coverage is ludicrously inaccurate. It suggests that
Crosspool can be received as far north as Morley (just south of Leeds).

Old October 11th 06, 07:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Virgils Ghost

Sutton Coldfield will lose a mux post change over :-
http://www.ukfree.tv/shutdowndetail.php?tx=SK113003

Is that commercially wise?