Wiring TV to Home Cinema

Old October 10th 06, 12:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
scamper

Default Wiring TV to Home Cinema

I've got a Philips 9631 with 2 HDMI connections and I've just bought a
Philips Home Theatre System with HDMI output. I've connected the
theatre system to the TV via HDMI and it plays DVDs great.

The question I have is how to get sound from the TV or Sky to come out
of the home theatre system. The manual that came with the theatre
system seems to say that by selecting TV on the remote control you will
get the sound from the TV - but I don't.

Does anyone know whether this should work? I did connect cables to the
audio out of the TV and that worked but I wondered whether I could just
use the one HDMI cable instead.

TIA

Shaun

Old October 10th 06, 12:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David

"scamper" wrote in message
oups.com...
I did connect cables to the
audio out of the TV and that worked but I wondered whether I could just
use the one HDMI cable instead.

Will the audio from the TV skt. be anologue and the HD MI be in digital,
thus the HDMI route is the one to go for.

Not in to HDMI yet I'm afraid, but is the Sky box and the Theatre unit
limited to only one HDMI? My thought being normal equipment uses 2 scarts
skts. usually and units are looped together and end up useing only one scart
on the TV. Can HDMI units be looped?

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Old October 10th 06, 12:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D.Smith

I'm guessing there is some sort of "input selection" on the home cinema unit
that also needs to be selected. You may find there is an "auto select"
feature but it sounds like that isn't working if there is.

According to the web, HDMI should carry sound too so you seem to have done
things correctly. Just check what you need to press to accept sound over
HDMI into the cinema unit.

Paul DS

Old October 10th 06, 12:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Agamemnon

"scamper" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got a Philips 9631 with 2 HDMI connections and I've just bought a
Philips Home Theatre System with HDMI output. I've connected the
theatre system to the TV via HDMI and it plays DVDs great.

The question I have is how to get sound from the TV or Sky to come out
of the home theatre system. The manual that came with the theatre
system seems to say that by selecting TV on the remote control you will
get the sound from the TV - but I don't.

Does anyone know whether this should work? I did connect cables to the
audio out of the TV and that worked but I wondered whether I could just
use the one HDMI cable instead.

You will not be able to get a sodding thing out of the HDMI input on your
home theatre system. All the HDMI input does is feeds to HDMI signal from
the input to the output when you switch it to TV and nothing else. There are
currently no home theatre systems in existence with HDMI decoders built into
them. I nearly made the mistake of buying one thinking they would let me
decode the signal from multiple HDMI devices but they don't.

Your only option is to connect the surround output of your DVD player to the
analogue surround input of your amp, but if you do that you are f***ed if
you also want to listen to Sky in high definition surround sound since most
AV Amps only have one high definition surround input.

TIA

Shaun

Old October 10th 06, 01:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Agamemnon

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
.. .
I'm guessing there is some sort of "input selection" on the home cinema
unit that also needs to be selected. You may find there is an "auto
select" feature but it sounds like that isn't working if there is.

According to the web, HDMI should carry sound too so you seem to have done
things correctly. Just check what you need to press to accept sound over
HDMI into the cinema unit.

He can press all he likes but he won't hear a thing from HDMI. There are
currently not home cinema systems in existence which decode HDMI audio. They
only switch it to the TV.

Paul DS

Old October 10th 06, 01:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D.Smith

Your only option is to connect the surround output of your DVD player to
the analogue surround input of your amp, but if you do that you are f***ed
if you also want to listen to Sky in high definition surround sound since
most AV Amps only have one high definition surround input.

What is an analogue surround input? My elderly Marantz has multiple
electrical digital inputs any one of which will decode surround sound. It
may have an optical or two as well bit I've no optical output equipment so I
can't remember.

And why would the digital output on HDMI be anything other than a regular
PCM/surround stream? Are you implying that HDMI has a special encoding for
digital sound?

Paul DS.

Old October 10th 06, 01:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D.Smith

Umm, which model Home Theatre do you have? A quick look at the Philips
website implies that they only have HDMI out and no capacity to take input
from the HDMI lead, as Age' has suggested.

Paul DS

Old October 10th 06, 02:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Michael Rozdoba

Paul D.Smith wrote:

And why would the digital output on HDMI be anything other than a
regular PCM/surround stream? Are you implying that HDMI has a
special encoding for digital sound?

AIUI HDMI doesn't carry audio & video streams independently (ie using
distinct conductors). The audio format isn't the issue here (multiple
formats are supported including Dolby Digital & DTS), but rather the way
it is encoded into the digital stream which HDMI carries.

See for example
http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/...rfaceguide.php

from which:
The HDMI spec allows for digital audio and auxiliary data to be
carried within the horizontal and vertical blanking intervals of the
digital video signal.

--
Michael
m r o z a t u k g a t e w a y d o t n e t
Old October 10th 06, 03:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David

How do Sky recomend their HD Box be connected to a Home Theatre system as
this one?
--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Old October 10th 06, 03:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D.Smith

Interesting - sending the audio in the video "blanks".

Paul DS.