Wiring TV to Home Cinema

Old October 10th 06, 09:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
scamper

Default Wiring TV to Home Cinema

Paul

I've a Philips HTS6510. It's got an HDMI output which I connected to
one of the two HDMI inputs on the TV.

The HTS6510 manual states "If you are using the scart or HDMI
connection, you can press TV on the remote control to get the sound
output from the speakers system when watching the TV programmes."

As I said I can play DVDs and get sound ok, but I can't get the sound
from normal TV or Sky by pressing the TV key. It's as though my TV
doesn't know how to output its sound to the HDMI port, that's if you
are supposed to. I did connect wires to the audio out connectors of
the TV and connect them to the theatre system and I could get the sound
from the TV through the speakers.

I guess that's the question. How do I get the TV to output it's sound
to the HDMI connection?

Shaun

Paul D.Smith wrote:
Umm, which model Home Theatre do you have? A quick look at the Philips
website implies that they only have HDMI out and no capacity to take input
from the HDMI lead, as Age' has suggested.

Paul DS

Old October 11th 06, 01:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Agamemnon

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
.. .
Your only option is to connect the surround output of your DVD player to
the analogue surround input of your amp, but if you do that you are
f***ed if you also want to listen to Sky in high definition surround
sound since most AV Amps only have one high definition surround input.

What is an analogue surround input? My elderly Marantz has multiple

Separate 5.1 or 7.1 RCA sockets for each of the L, R, SL, SR, RL, RR, C, SW
signals.

electrical digital inputs any one of which will decode surround sound. It
may have an optical or two as well bit I've no optical output equipment so
I can't remember.

And why would the digital output on HDMI be anything other than a regular
PCM/surround stream? Are you implying that HDMI has a special encoding
for digital sound?

Yes. It's encoded with the video in 24/96 format and also encrypted. If you
read the operation manuals the manufacturers seem to be conspiring together
to physically prevent the decoding of any 24/96 audio steams via HDMI link
to an AV amp. They only allow decoding of such steams in the playback
equipment alone.

Paul DS.

Old October 11th 06, 07:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D.Smith

"scamper" wrote in message
ups.com...
Paul

I've a Philips HTS6510. It's got an HDMI output which I connected to
one of the two HDMI inputs on the TV.

The HTS6510 manual states "If you are using the scart or HDMI
connection, you can press TV on the remote control to get the sound
output from the speakers system when watching the TV programmes."

As I said I can play DVDs and get sound ok, but I can't get the sound
from normal TV or Sky by pressing the TV key. It's as though my TV
doesn't know how to output its sound to the HDMI port, that's if you
are supposed to. I did connect wires to the audio out connectors of
the TV and connect them to the theatre system and I could get the sound
from the TV through the speakers.

I guess that's the question. How do I get the TV to output it's sound
to the HDMI connection?

Shaun

Well I looked at the Philips website and Scamper is correct - the manual
says that you should be able to get TV sound via HDMI into the HTS6510. So
two suggestions:

1. Try the other HDMI interface on the TV.
2. Contact Philips.

Not a very helpful selection but it does seem that you have done things
right. Do check the TV manual though (I couldn't find it on the web) in
case one HDMI is input (to TV) only.

Hope this helps and please let us know how you get on.
Paul DS

Old October 11th 06, 08:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian A

scamper wrote:
Paul

I've a Philips HTS6510. It's got an HDMI output which I connected to
one of the two HDMI inputs on the TV.

snip
I guess that's the question. How do I get the TV to output it's sound
to the HDMI connection?

The answer is in the question. Your TV has HDMI inputs, these are _not_ an
outputs.

Old October 11th 06, 09:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D.Smith

"Adrian A" wrote in message
om...
scamper wrote:
Paul

I've a Philips HTS6510. It's got an HDMI output which I connected to
one of the two HDMI inputs on the TV.

snip
I guess that's the question. How do I get the TV to output it's sound
to the HDMI connection?

The answer is in the question. Your TV has HDMI inputs, these are _not_ an
outputs.

Adrian,

I suspect that you're reading too much into the question. The HTS6510
manual implies that a Philips TV might output audio through the HDMI
interface. Unfortunately the TV manual does not appear to be online so I
can't confirm or deny this, but the OP would probably not be asking this
question if they truely new the TV HDMI were input only ;-).

Paul DS.