Latest TVs Pose Recycling Problem

Old October 8th 06, 10:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
galaxyguy

Default Latest TVs Pose Recycling Problem

For someone just about the spend a huge sum on a new Plasma TV I
thought they might be interested to know of future problems one day way
off in the distant future.
I noticed at our local Council Recycling Tip, which is vast and well
organised that they have a large open bin for used CRT PC Monitors and
also for CRT TVs. Sadly, there was a beautiful large Sony
sitting in the bottom of the bin.
Most importantly to this posting is that they have a sign up "No Plasma
TV's please".
It makes you think, doesn't it? Before you consider parting with a wad
of money, maybe you need to consider how you'll be able to dispose of
it in the future, first?
I think CRT TVs have alot to be said for them; especially price wise!
I imagine that a new recycling directive will have to be passed for
Plasma; just maybe they have no internal components of recyclable value
- there's a thought!

Old October 8th 06, 03:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Alan" wrote in message
In message . com,
Anything that the local dump will not take will be left on the side of
some road! The lesson to be learnt is - don't security code your plasma
with your post code

I've always been strongly against fly tipping, but when people who own vans
(only) are prevented from using the dumpit I can't help but sympathise. It's
nothing but discrimination. Our council won't even allow us to park our
4x4s, vans, vans adopted for disabled occupants, camper vans, etc, outside
while we carry the junk in. They have stopped us doing that by saying it's a
health and safety issue, which is ******** because once you've driven in you
walk to each skip.

Old October 8th 06, 04:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Lynch

On 8 Oct 2006 03:36:53 -0700, galaxyguy wrote:
[...]

I thought that WEEE (waste electrical and electronic equipment) directive
from the EU would make it the manufacturers responsibility. From next
year you could require them to take back goods.

Pete
--
.................................................. .........................
.. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .

Old October 8th 06, 05:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
nospam

"galaxyguy" wrote:
..
Most importantly to this posting is that they have a sign up "No Plasma
TV's please".
It makes you think, doesn't it?

It makes me think that having a completely different construction plasma
displays would go through a completely different recycling process (if and
when there are enough scrap plasma displays to be worth processing at all)
and it is sensible not to 'pollute' CRT display scrap with plasma display
scrap.

If the local bottle bank had a sign saying no plastic bottles would you
worry about buying things in plastic bottles?
Old October 8th 06, 06:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
gort

I've always been strongly against fly tipping, but when people who own vans
(only) are prevented from using the dumpit I can't help but sympathise. It's
nothing but discrimination. Our council won't even allow us to park our
4x4s, vans, vans adopted for disabled occupants, camper vans, etc, outside
while we carry the junk in. They have stopped us doing that by saying it's a
health and safety issue, which is ******** because once you've driven in you
walk to each skip.

Bill

Have to say Bill, the way some people with 4x4's ( usually the poser
element) park and drive them,it would be a H&S matter !!

Dae

Old October 8th 06, 06:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Crosland

Anything that the local dump will not take will be left on the side
of some road! The lesson to be learnt is - don't security code your
plasma with your post code

I've always been strongly against fly tipping, but when people who
own vans (only) are prevented from using the dumpit I can't help but
sympathise. It's nothing but discrimination. Our council won't even
allow us to park our 4x4s, vans, vans adopted for disabled occupants,
camper vans, etc, outside while we carry the junk in. They have
stopped us doing that by saying it's a health and safety issue, which
is ******** because once you've driven in you walk to each skip.

The problem is almost certainly that the site is not licensed to take trade
waste. Secondly you need a licence from the Environment Agency to transport
trade waste. It may be that the vehicles have been wrongly identified as
commercial ones but the operators of the site should be able to distinguish
those which are not. However, licensed sites get lots of people trying it on
because they have, quite rightly, to pay for the disposal of trade waste at
sites licensed for that purpose. The Environment Agency website has numerous
examples of people being fined hefty sums for illegal waste carrying and
disposal.

www.environment-agency.gov.uk for more detail.

Peter Crosland

Old October 8th 06, 08:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"gort" wrote in message
news

I've always been strongly against fly tipping, but when people who own
vans
(only) are prevented from using the dumpit I can't help but sympathise.
It's
nothing but discrimination. Our council won't even allow us to park our
4x4s, vans, vans adopted for disabled occupants, camper vans, etc,
outside
while we carry the junk in. They have stopped us doing that by saying
it's a
health and safety issue, which is ******** because once you've driven in
you
walk to each skip.

Bill

Have to say Bill, the way some people with 4x4's ( usually the poser
element) park and drive them,it would be a H&S matter !!

Funnily enough I met a large black one the other day. This was at a place
where there are two mini roundabouts about 30m apart. The 4x4 was
approaching roundabout 1 at speed, and I entered roundabout 2. Because I was
driving a large underpowered vehicle I was still on roundabout 2 when he
reached it, so I was IN HIS WAY. He must have felt that I had no right to
enter roundabout 2 when he was approaching roundabout 1, because to our
astonishment he flashed his lights, blew his horn, and shot the wrong way
round the roundabout and down the sliproad meant for traffic entering it,
not leaving it! The purpose of the manoeuvre was presumably to get in front
of us. I suppose this means that he sees driving as a competition.

On a general point, I've noticed in recent years that younger drivers seem
to think that they have right of way when approaching a roundabout if they
are on the more major of the two roads that meet there. There's a place near
here where a roundabout forms the entrance to an industrial esate, and
sometimes fast traffic on the main road seems to assume that no-one should
enter the roundabout from the ind. estate if there's anything coming along
the main road, in the way that would be appropriate if the junction was a
'halt' or 'give way' for the smaller road.

Old October 8th 06, 08:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
[...]

No, that's not the point. It can be blindingly obvious that it isn't trade
waste, but they still won't let you in.

Old October 9th 06, 12:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Virgils Ghost

"galaxyguy" wrote in message

It makes you think, doesn't it? Before you consider parting with a wad
of money, maybe you need to consider how you'll be able to dispose of
it in the future, first?

With the new electronic waste directive the liability falls back upon the
manufacturer.

Old October 9th 06, 12:08 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Virgils Ghost

"Bill Wright" wrote in message news:egbos7

No, that's not the point. It can be blindingly obvious that it isn't trade
waste, but they still won't let you in.

More than their job's worth. (Environmental waste engineer @ 40k +
benefits?)