Which budget DVD recorder to transfer VHS?

Old October 6th 06, 11:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave English

Default Which budget DVD recorder to transfer VHS?

I hope that this isn't O/T, but is there anything particular to consider
when buying a budget DVD recorder to transfer VHS?

I would like to free up the shelf space occupied by old home recorded
VHS. It seemed to me a good idea to buy a budget DVD recorder, say from
Tesco. It should be easier to just transfer it all, that to otherwise
decide what to throw away!

I do also have a TV capture card for getting a MythTV etc. system going,
but hell, that could take years :-^)

Regards
--
Dave English Senior Software & Systems Engineer
Internet Platform Development, Thus plc
Old October 6th 06, 12:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roger R

"Dave English" wrote in message
I hope that this isn't O/T, but is there anything particular to consider
when buying a budget DVD recorder to transfer VHS?

I would like to free up the shelf space occupied by old home recorded VHS.
It seemed to me a good idea to buy a budget DVD recorder, say from Tesco.
[snip] --
Dave English Senior Software & Systems Engineer
Internet Platform Development, Thus plc

I would have thought someone of your lofty status would be able to run to
something a bit better than from Tesco ;-)

Roger

Old October 6th 06, 01:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bruce Stewart

Dave English wrote:

I hope that this isn't O/T, but is there anything particular to consider
when buying a budget DVD recorder to transfer VHS?

I would like to free up the shelf space occupied by old home recorded
VHS. It seemed to me a good idea to buy a budget DVD recorder, say from
Tesco. It should be easier to just transfer it all, that to otherwise
decide what to throw away!

I do also have a TV capture card for getting a MythTV etc. system going,
but hell, that could take years :-^)

Regards

On your MythTV thing, I'm currently using KnoppMyth R5D1, which is a
prebuilt Linux Distro with MythTV 0.19. I found it pretty good and
relatively easy to install. If your card is supported by either the Linux
DVB or Video4Linux projects, there shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Bruce S.

--
Replace the by by blueyonder
Old October 6th 06, 01:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
linkuk

"Dave English" wrote in message
I hope that this isn't O/T, but is there anything particular to consider
when buying a budget DVD recorder to transfer VHS?

I bought a cheap proline dvd recorder and thats done everything i expected
it to.

Old October 6th 06, 10:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Terry

"Dave English" wrote in message
I hope that this isn't O/T, but is there anything particular to consider
when buying a budget DVD recorder to transfer VHS?
I would like to free up the shelf space occupied by old home recorded VHS.
It seemed to me a good idea to buy a budget DVD recorder, say from Tesco.
It should be easier to just transfer it all, that to otherwise decide what
to throw away!
I do also have a TV capture card for getting a MythTV etc. system going,
but hell, that could take years :-^)
Regards
Dave English

The Technika dvdr2005 for now under 60 at any large Tescos is unbeatable

I make a lot of use of it's front panel 4pin firewire connector to download
videos from my minidv camcorder

5 meter long 4pin to 4pin firewire lead for under a tenner at
www.rlsupplies.co.uk

Steve Terry

Old October 7th 06, 09:43 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Sean B

Dave English wrote:

I hope that this isn't O/T, but is there anything particular to consider
when buying a budget DVD recorder to transfer VHS?

I would like to free up the shelf space occupied by old home recorded
VHS. It seemed to me a good idea to buy a budget DVD recorder, say from
Tesco. It should be easier to just transfer it all, that to otherwise
decide what to throw away!

I do also have a TV capture card for getting a MythTV etc. system going,
but hell, that could take years :-^)

Regards

The Panasonics are good and have the BIG advantage of
also using DVD-RAM for simultaneous recording and viewing,
pausing live TV etc.

After using about 3 Mpeg2 capture cards with poor results, I've
bought a Dazzle Platinum which gives good results.

Sean B

Old October 7th 06, 12:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roger R

"Steve Terry" wrote in message
news
The Technika dvdr2005 for now under 60 at any large Tescos is unbeatable

I make a lot of use of it's front panel 4pin firewire connector to
download
videos from my minidv camcorder

I had great expectations of the DV input on my Sony DVD recorder (no hard
drive) but it produces mixed results and is not reliable.

I would have to connect it all up again to give details of why exactly its
no good -something like - works ok at first but if input stream is
changed -video stopped or something- then on resume the picture is out of
normal scale and starting 1/3 down the screen.

Roger

Old October 8th 06, 07:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Terry

"Roger R" wrote in message
"Steve Terry" wrote in message
news
The Technika dvdr2005 for now under 60 at any large Tescos is unbeatable

I make a lot of use of it's front panel 4pin firewire connector to
download
videos from my minidv camcorder

I had great expectations of the DV input on my Sony DVD recorder (no hard
drive) but it produces mixed results and is not reliable.

Not had any probs with the firewire dv input on my technika,
but have had trouble finding one that's reliable,
so hang on to the tesco receipt.

Steve Terry