HD-DVB-T Test reception

Old October 5th 06, 05:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bruce Stewart

Default HD-DVB-T Test reception

I know there were test HD-DVB-T transmissions from one of the London
Transmitters and should have only been picked up by those who had the STBs
sent out for test.
My question is, were these transmissions were able to be picked up by a
standard DVB-T card (such as the Nova-T) and then decoded with the
appropriate Codec?

Bruce S.

--
Replace the by by blueyonder
Old October 6th 06, 02:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Stephen

"Bruce Stewart" wrote in message
news
I know there were test HD-DVB-T transmissions from one of the London
Transmitters and should have only been picked up by those who had the STBs
sent out for test.
My question is, were these transmissions were able to be picked up by a
standard DVB-T card (such as the Nova-T) and then decoded with the
appropriate Codec?

The Terrestrial HD trial is still on the air. I don't know about the Nova-T,
but the "Digi TV" card from Nebula Electronics (www.nebula-electronics.com)
receives the HD broadcasts on a high spec PC. You download the codec from
their website. BBC HD is on UHF Channel 31, and itv HD, Channel 4 HD and
five HD are on UHF Channel 27. Only one of these 3 broadcasts an HD
programme at any one time on Channel 27, while the other 2 show a caption.

Old October 6th 06, 07:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D.Smith

The Terrestrial HD trial is still on the air. I don't know about the
Nova-T,
but the "Digi TV" card from Nebula Electronics
(www.nebula-electronics.com)
receives the HD broadcasts on a high spec PC. You download the codec from
their website. BBC HD is on UHF Channel 31, and itv HD, Channel 4 HD and
five HD are on UHF Channel 27. Only one of these 3 broadcasts an HD
programme at any one time on Channel 27, while the other 2 show a caption.

What sort of output do you get? I've read of people managing to get slow
frame rates out - can a high spec. PC run at full HD resolution and frame
rates?

Paul DS.

Old October 6th 06, 09:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian

In message , Paul D.Smith
writes
The Terrestrial HD trial is still on the air. I don't know about the
Nova-T,
but the "Digi TV" card from Nebula Electronics
(www.nebula-electronics.com)
receives the HD broadcasts on a high spec PC. You download the codec from
their website. BBC HD is on UHF Channel 31, and itv HD, Channel 4 HD and
five HD are on UHF Channel 27. Only one of these 3 broadcasts an HD
programme at any one time on Channel 27, while the other 2 show a caption.

What sort of output do you get? I've read of people managing to get slow
frame rates out - can a high spec. PC run at full HD resolution and frame
rates?

Paul DS.

To test your PC for HD, you could download a clip from somewhere like
Apple, and see how well it's handled.

I've done this, and found that decoding worked well, but frame rates
were much too slow.

I have a 2Ghz cpu, IGb ram, and a Nvidia GeForce 6600 with 256Mb onboard
ram.

HTH
--
Ian
Old October 6th 06, 10:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Gareth Halfacree

Ian wrote:
To test your PC for HD, you could download a clip from somewhere like
Apple, and see how well it's handled.
I've done this, and found that decoding worked well, but frame rates
were much too slow.

Strange - I've downloaded the QuickTime HD movie trailers, and they play
absolutely fine. Full frame rate, not a dropped frame or slowdown in sight.

I have a 2Ghz cpu, IGb ram, and a Nvidia GeForce 6600 with 256Mb onboard
ram.

My system isn't *that* much faster than yours - 2.2GHz CPU, 1GB RAM, and
a GeForce 6800 with 256MB.

How odd. Are you running the latest graphics card drivers?

One thing that *could* make a difference is the version of QuickTime you
are running - I use QuickTime Alternative through MediaPlayer Classic
(far less cruft).

--
Gareth Halfacree
http://gareth.halfacree.co.uk
Old October 6th 06, 10:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian

In message , Ian
writes
In message , Paul D.Smith
writes
[...]

Just to add to that, here is a page with requirements.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide...endations.html

I've just tried the 480p download, and it does look stunning, even
viewed on my TV, but the CPU is at 100%, and the clip stutters badly.
--
Ian
Old October 6th 06, 01:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Stephen

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
.. .
The Terrestrial HD trial is still on the air. I don't know about the
Nova-T,
but the "Digi TV" card from Nebula Electronics
(www.nebula-electronics.com)
receives the HD broadcasts on a high spec PC. You download the codec from
their website. BBC HD is on UHF Channel 31, and itv HD, Channel 4 HD and
five HD are on UHF Channel 27. Only one of these 3 broadcasts an HD
programme at any one time on Channel 27, while the other 2 show a
caption.

What sort of output do you get? I've read of people managing to get slow
frame rates out - can a high spec. PC run at full HD resolution and frame
rates?

I get one second of moving picture and sound, then one second of frozen
picture broken up into boxes with sound muted, then one second with clear
moving picture and sound again, and so on. It's useless really, but I
suppose it does at least let you know what they're broadcasting, even if you
can't actually watch it. I'm using a 3GHz Pentium 4, but this appears not to
be fast enough and I can see the CPU Usage in Task Manager hitting 100%
every time the picture freezes. Another problem may be the onboard graphics
card (Intel 82915G) - they say you need a special graphics card. They also
say that they're improving the codec all the time, so there may be newer
versions coming out in the future which would work less badly.

Another hurdle is that they don't have a license for parts of the HD codec,
so you have to pay an extra 15 online to unlock it, otherwise it only runs
for 1 minute, and you have to restart the TV viewer application to get your
next minute of freezing and muting.

I can get continuous sound if I minimise the TV viewer window, but then
listening to HDTV in sound only kind of misses the point of the whole thing,
doesn't it?

Old October 6th 06, 01:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Stephen

"Gareth Halfacree" wrote in message
Ian wrote:
To test your PC for HD, you could download a clip from somewhere like
Apple, and see how well it's handled.
I've done this, and found that decoding worked well, but frame rates were
much too slow.

Strange - I've downloaded the QuickTime HD movie trailers, and they play
absolutely fine. Full frame rate, not a dropped frame or slowdown in
sight.

They say that the BBC is using an unusual type of HD codec which is really
meant for hardware decoders and is very processor hungry when they try to
implement it in software, so your system's performance on Quicktime HD movie
trailers may not be a good indication of how well it will perform with BBC
material. Apparently itv / Channel 4 / five HD is the same format as BBC HD.

I saw a Sky HD setup in a Sony shop and that was dropping frames on the BBC
HD Preview channel, even with the hardware decoder in a proper Sky HD
receiver box. It appeared to be running at about 5 frames per second on the
"Later with Jools Holand" segment. I guess the box needed a reset, but I
wonder how often you have to do that with Sky HD?

Old October 6th 06, 02:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian

In message , Gareth Halfacree
writes
Ian wrote:
To test your PC for HD, you could download a clip from somewhere like
Apple, and see how well it's handled.
I've done this, and found that decoding worked well, but frame rates
were much too slow.

Strange - I've downloaded the QuickTime HD movie trailers, and they
play absolutely fine. Full frame rate, not a dropped frame or slowdown
in sight.

I have a 2Ghz cpu, IGb ram, and a Nvidia GeForce 6600 with 256Mb
onboard ram.

My system isn't *that* much faster than yours - 2.2GHz CPU, 1GB RAM,
and a GeForce 6800 with 256MB.

How odd. Are you running the latest graphics card drivers?

One thing that *could* make a difference is the version of QuickTime
you are running - I use QuickTime Alternative through MediaPlayer
Classic (far less cruft).

I just tried it with MPC, and there was hardly a stutter.

I wish I'd thought of that before, thanks.
--
Ian
Old October 6th 06, 02:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian

In message , Stephen
writes
Ian wrote:
[...]

The clip I've just tried was a BBC Motion clip, see my other reply.
--
Ian