HD-DVB-T Test reception

Old October 7th 06, 01:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bruce Stewart

Default HD-DVB-T Test reception

Ian wrote:

In message , Stephen
writes
"Gareth Halfacree" wrote in message
Ian wrote:
To test your PC for HD, you could download a clip from somewhere like
Apple, and see how well it's handled.
I've done this, and found that decoding worked well, but frame rates
were much too slow.

Strange - I've downloaded the QuickTime HD movie trailers, and they play
absolutely fine. Full frame rate, not a dropped frame or slowdown in
sight.

They say that the BBC is using an unusual type of HD codec which is really
meant for hardware decoders and is very processor hungry when they try to
implement it in software, so your system's performance on Quicktime HD
movie trailers may not be a good indication of how well it will perform
with BBC material. Apparently itv / Channel 4 / five HD is the same format
as BBC HD.

I saw a Sky HD setup in a Sony shop and that was dropping frames on the
BBC HD Preview channel, even with the hardware decoder in a proper Sky HD
receiver box. It appeared to be running at about 5 frames per second on
the "Later with Jools Holand" segment. I guess the box needed a reset, but
I wonder how often you have to do that with Sky HD?

The clip I've just tried was a BBC Motion clip, see my other reply.

Thanks for the replies.
I would assume the same would apply to (unencrypted) D-SAT as well.

Bruce S.
--
Replace the by by blueyonder
Old October 8th 06, 04:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
ThePunisher

"Ian" wrote in message

In message , Ian
writes
In message , Paul
D.Smith writes
The Terrestrial HD trial is still on the air. I don't know
about the Nova-T,
but the "Digi TV" card from Nebula Electronics
(www.nebula-electronics.com)
receives the HD broadcasts on a high spec PC. You download the
codec from their website. BBC HD is on UHF Channel 31, and itv
HD, Channel 4 HD and five HD are on UHF Channel 27. Only one of
these 3 broadcasts an HD programme at any one time on Channel
27, while the other 2 show a caption.

What sort of output do you get? I've read of people managing to
get slow frame rates out - can a high spec. PC run at full HD
resolution and frame rates?

Paul DS.

To test your PC for HD, you could download a clip from somewhere
like Apple, and see how well it's handled.

I've done this, and found that decoding worked well, but frame rates
were much too slow.

I have a 2Ghz cpu, IGb ram, and a Nvidia GeForce 6600 with 256Mb
onboard ram.

HTH

Just to add to that, here is a page with requirements.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide...endations.html

I've just tried the 480p download, and it does look stunning, even
viewed on my TV, but the CPU is at 100%, and the clip stutters badly.

I wouldn't call 480p HD.

--
ThePunisher