A Sky, cable and digital tv forum. Digital TV Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Digital TV Banter forum » Digital TV Newsgroups » uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (uk.tech.digital-tv) Discussion of all matters technical in origin related to the reception of digital television transmissions, be they via satellite, terrestrial or cable. Advertising is forbidden, with no exceptions.

Self Help Schemes



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 4th 06, 12:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Hein
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Self Help Schemes

Analogue TV had a number of these - essentially small privately operated
relay stations in areas where the BBC/ITV supplied signal did not reach.

Will there be any for Digital TV?

Come to think of it, are there any of the analogue variety left or have
all the former users switched to Sky?

--

[ John Hein GM1YME | Phaggots do it on the phone! ]
[ | Sine Pretio Loquimini Omnibus ]
[
| ]
[ Telephone: +44 131 558 1279 |
http://www.scotsgay.co.uk/people/john.html]
[ TeleFax: +44 131 539 2999 | 49 B5/6 f+ t- w+ d g++ k- s++! r-- p ]
[ Lambda BBS: +44 131 556 6316 | S8/9 b g- l y- z/ n o++ x-- a+ u- v- j++ ]

  #2  
Old October 4th 06, 12:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,016
Default Self Help Schemes

In article ,
John Hein wrote:
Analogue TV had a number of these - essentially small privately operated
relay stations in areas where the BBC/ITV supplied signal did not reach.


Will there be any for Digital TV?


Come to think of it, are there any of the analogue variety left or have
all the former users switched to Sky?


Quite a few of the viewers to these, in the mountainous areas of Scotland
and Wales, would not get a satellite service.

--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11

  #4  
Old October 4th 06, 01:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,220
Default Self Help Schemes


John Hein wrote:
Analogue TV had a number of these - essentially small privately operated
relay stations in areas where the BBC/ITV supplied signal did not reach.

Will there be any for Digital TV?

Come to think of it, are there any of the analogue variety left or have
all the former users switched to Sky?


Perhaps, but at least a few of them are immortalised on Mike Brown's
web site

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/capel-curig.asp

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/chalaborough.asp

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/coverack.asp

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/hartsop.asp

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/kinlochewe.asp

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/drynachan-lodge.asp

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/kisdon.asp

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/stein.asp

  #5  
Old October 4th 06, 01:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian McIlwrath
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 783
Default Self Help Schemes

charles wrote:

: Quite a few of the viewers to these, in the mountainous areas of Scotland
: and Wales, would not get a satellite service.

However when hiking near Betws-y-Coed I did come across a farm in a steep
sided vally whose Sky dish was on a pole about 50yards from the house -
obviously just to clear the valley ridge!
  #6  
Old October 4th 06, 02:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D.Smith
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,070
Default Self Help Schemes

"John Hein" wrote in message
...
Analogue TV had a number of these - essentially small privately operated
relay stations in areas where the BBC/ITV supplied signal did not reach.

Will there be any for Digital TV?

Come to think of it, are there any of the analogue variety left or have
all the former users switched to Sky?


For interests sake, what was the legality of these systems? There was
another post about a self-help sending signals to Ireland lately and I
wondered this at the time but forgot to ask.

Paul DS


  #7  
Old October 4th 06, 02:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,220
Default Self Help Schemes


Paul D.Smith wrote:

For interests sake, what was the legality of these systems? There was
another post about a self-help sending signals to Ireland lately and I
wondered this at the time but forgot to ask.


Perfectly legal, if you went through the correct channels to get one
licenced.

ISTR the Beeb, IBA, and/or Home Office would help you plan the
parameters, and test the installation (for compliance) ?

  #8  
Old October 4th 06, 04:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,016
Default Self Help Schemes

In article . com,
Mark Carver wrote:

Paul D.Smith wrote:


For interests sake, what was the legality of these systems? There was
another post about a self-help sending signals to Ireland lately and I
wondered this at the time but forgot to ask.


Perfectly legal, if you went through the correct channels to get one
licenced.


ISTR the Beeb, IBA, and/or Home Office would help you plan the
parameters, and test the installation (for compliance) ?


The Home Office (Broadcasting Dept) only ever got involved with the very
first one - Acharacle. They wanted a few thousand pounds (3 people, 4 days
away from base, etc) for the service. At that point, the BBC & IBA stepped
in and provided planning & testing as a free service. I got involved with
a great many - even one on top of the BBC office block at White City.

Mind you, there were loads of unlicenced ones. One even set up, as I
discovered, by the village 'bobby'. (shades of Hamish McBeth)

--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11

  #9  
Old October 5th 06, 05:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,408
Default Self Help Schemes


"charles" wrote in message
...
Mind you, there were loads of unlicenced ones. One even set up, as I
discovered, by the village 'bobby'. (shades of Hamish McBeth)


Chatting to the publican in a pub that had a self help on the roof for the
nearby cottages, it emerged that the local aerial rigger had done the job
and there had been no thought of involving the authorities. Likewise a
system at a caravan site. Both of these were in Scotland.

I'm told that it is now impossible to get a licence, because of the DTT
rollout.

Bill


  #10  
Old October 5th 06, 05:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,016
Default Self Help Schemes

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
...
Mind you, there were loads of unlicenced ones. One even set up, as I
discovered, by the village 'bobby'. (shades of Hamish McBeth)


Chatting to the publican in a pub that had a self help on the roof for
the nearby cottages, it emerged that the local aerial rigger had done
the job and there had been no thought of involving the authorities.
Likewise a system at a caravan site. Both of these were in Scotland.


obviously not one owned by the Caravan Club. They licenced all theirs.


I'm told that it is now impossible to get a licence, because of the DTT
rollout.


Quite likely, since the lienced ones became "protected" broadcast
transmitters - offically - so DTT could well be required to avoid their
channels in the locality.

Bill


--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2017 Digital TV Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.