Self Help Schemes

Old October 6th 06, 05:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

Default Self Help Schemes

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
oups.com...

Paul D.Smith wrote:
"Mark Carver" wrote in message

There's a Caravan Club site right next to the 500 ft TV mast at
Hannington. (Cottington Hill)
They probably use all the RF flying about there to light up their
caravans at night.

Don't these masts "donut" the signal outwards so directly below and
directly
above get poor reception? FWIW, high gain WiFi antenna typically do this
(replacing a fairly spherical output in the basic antenna with a donut
output from the high gain) which is OK if you know what you're doing but
you
can find that improving the reception in a distant room results in losing
reception in the floors above or below the antenna.

Yes, it's a bit like leaning against the wall of a lighthouse, and
expecting to be able to read a book with its light.

To stretch the analogy beyond breaking point, it's a bit like leaning
against the wall of a lighthouse, and
expecting to be able to read a book with its light, when any light reflected
from the nearby cliff results in your seeing double.

Old October 6th 06, 05:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Paul D.Smith
writes
Yes they do, it costs a lorra bunce to produce UHF RF in the required
amounts and one way of making the process more efficient is to up the
aerial gain and that means throwing it in a narrow a beam as possible to
the distant horizon with a small bit of down tilt!..
--

This is all very well, but it must make things very difficult for the radio
astronomers in other galaxies who are trying to detect our presence. I think

Old October 6th 06, 05:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Paul D.Smith
writes
Yes they do, it costs a lorra bunce to produce UHF RF in the required
amounts and one way of making the process more efficient is to up the
aerial gain and that means throwing it in a narrow a beam as possible to
the distant horizon with a small bit of down tilt!..
--

This is all very well, but it must make things very difficult for the
radio astronomers in other galaxies who are trying to detect our
presence. I think that every so often they should beam ITV Play straight
up, so that they will be aware that intelligent life exists here on
earth.

Not really difficult. At the horizon will still go off into space, just
right angles to straight up.

--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11

Old October 7th 06, 01:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"charles" wrote in message
Bill Wright wrote:

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Paul D.Smith
writes
Yes they do, it costs a lorra bunce to produce UHF RF in the required
amounts and one way of making the process more efficient is to up the
aerial gain and that means throwing it in a narrow a beam as possible
the distant horizon with a small bit of down tilt!..
--

This is all very well, but it must make things very difficult for the
radio astronomers in other galaxies who are trying to detect our
presence. I think that every so often they should beam ITV Play straight
up, so that they will be aware that intelligent life exists here on
earth.

Not really difficult. At the horizon will still go off into space, just
right angles to straight up.

Yes, but every little mollycule of signal that goes into space is wasted.
That's why they use beamtilt. Just think, they've brainwashed all us daft
buggers into turning lights off and they're cheerfully firing meggawotsits
into outer space. I wouldn't be surprised if the aliens find a way to
collect the energy and sell it back to us. That would be just typical,
because I should think aliens behave like foreigners, I mean they are
foreigners really aren't they? I've seen that ET and he ain't no Englishman!

Anyway, I think there's too many radio waves rolling around. The aether can
only take so much perturbation. It must be like a storm at sea up there
these days with all the broadcasts. I wouldn't be surprised if it sloshed
out of the sky and then where would we be? Covered in the stuff that's
where, and it might be poisenous to humans for all them scientists know. And
beast. They should turn everything off except the Home Service and let it
all settle down.

There's too much tampering with nature. Before the war the weather was
perfect all the time. Proper winters and proper summers. Then they let off
all them atomic bombs and it's never been right since. Look at it now, with
the sun shining in October! That's not natural is it? We went to the seaside
last week, took our long johns and our overcoats and our sou'westers, and
the bloody sun shone! There were kids playing on the beach! It's not what
you expect is it, and at my time of life I shouldn't have to put up with
change.

Old October 7th 06, 12:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson

In message , Bill Wright
writes

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
roups.com...

Paul D.Smith wrote:
[...]

I'm pretty sure that many transmitters where there is a significant
local population (eg Crystal Palace) deliberately squirt a bit of RF
down at a relatively steep angle to provide an adequate service for
those in the immediate vicinity. The phasing has to be adjusted very
carefully to minimise nulls a bit further away.

From memory, the Self-Help stations were licensed on the basis of no
protection against interference, and no interference to reception
elsewhere.
Ian.

Old October 7th 06, 04:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Ian Jackson IanJackson
writes
In message , Bill Wright
writes

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
groups.com...

Paul D.Smith wrote:
[...]

Anyone remember the "Penge effect"

From memory, the Self-Help stations were licensed on the basis of no
protection against interference, and no interference to reception
elsewhere.
Ian.

Sounds fair enough!..

--
Tony Sayer

Old October 8th 06, 12:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Owain" wrote in message
Has Hil forgotten the tablet in your cocoa tonight?

I crept into the bathroom and changed them for some I got on Maltby Market.
These is much betta!