Self Help Schemes

Old October 5th 06, 09:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

Default Self Help Schemes (Bill drifts off topic again)

"charles" wrote in message
obviously not one owned by the Caravan Club. They licenced all theirs.

I saw one on a CC site at which the Rx aerial was a 'fireguard' (BB Grid)
four foot above the ground in the Late Arrivals area, looking under the
trees. This was at the very end of the site, and the one place where there
was a signal from the local relay. The problem was, if there was a late
arrival and they happened to park in front of the aerial the system stopped
working. On one occasion I saw a fat elderly Geordie in shorts trying to
explain to a party of fat elderly Germans in shorts why they had to
reorientate their van. They had got properly camped up, with chassis jacks
etc (typical German -- only there for 8 hours and they'd all but planted a
new garden). They weren't having any and the Geordie eventually stomed off,
drawing parallels between the Germans' attitude to territory and that of
their forebearers. Since we use a dish we were able to laugh at the
situation. Mind you, we didn't watch telly that night. We went to the local
pub. It turned out to be run by a real ale fanatic from Essex who had taken
the place over without doing his homework. Real ale means nothing to the
average Scot, and his handpumps stood idle. Sorry, I digress.

I meant to go on to describle the rest of the self-help system. It comprised
48dB of amplification a splitter, and two fireguards pointing at the two far
corners of the site. Since the input from the aerial must have been very
very low this was pretty hopeless. The Tx aerials were on the site office,
screened to some extent by the building from the Rx aerial. There were no
channel changers. Nevertheless, I think I would have turned the wick up a
bit. I bet there was only about 30dBmV going into each Tx aerial. Anyone
here who can work out the milliwatts? In any case, it was pretty abysmal

Old October 6th 06, 07:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D.Smith

Default Self Help Schemes

obviously not one owned by the Caravan Club. They licenced all theirs.

You mean they don't all have aerial points? I visited my father at one such
site and was horrified by the miles of (cheap and nasty of course) co-ax
stretching from the central points to the vans. It looked a total eyesore,
not to mention the health and safety issues with having to pick your way
through the "minefield" of cables.

Paul DS.

Old October 6th 06, 10:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Paul D.Smith wrote:
obviously not one owned by the Caravan Club. They licenced all theirs.

You mean they don't all have aerial points? I visited my father at one such
site and was horrified by the miles of (cheap and nasty of course) co-ax
stretching from the central points to the vans. It looked a total eyesore,
not to mention the health and safety issues with having to pick your way
through the "minefield" of cables.

There's a Caravan Club site right next to the 500 ft TV mast at
Hannington. (Cottington Hill)
They probably use all the RF flying about there to light up their
caravans at night.

Old October 6th 06, 10:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
oups.com...
There's a Caravan Club site right next to the 500 ft TV mast at
Hannington. (Cottington Hill)
They probably use all the RF flying about there to light up their
caravans at night.

Do you think that's possible Mark? Have you done the maths?

Old October 6th 06, 11:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Bill Wright wrote:
"Mark Carver" wrote in message
oups.com...
There's a Caravan Club site right next to the 500 ft TV mast at
Hannington. (Cottington Hill)
They probably use all the RF flying about there to light up their
caravans at night.

Do you think that's possible Mark? Have you done the maths?

Ooh no, no maths have been done. It was of course a frivolous comment,
but I'm off down the pub now, if we run out of interesting conversation
I might chuck this in a see what happens.....

Old October 6th 06, 11:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D.Smith

Paul D.Smith wrote:
obviously not one owned by the Caravan Club. They licenced all theirs.

You mean they don't all have aerial points? I visited my father at one
such
site and was horrified by the miles of (cheap and nasty of course) co-ax
stretching from the central points to the vans. It looked a total
eyesore,
not to mention the health and safety issues with having to pick your way
through the "minefield" of cables.

There's a Caravan Club site right next to the 500 ft TV mast at
Hannington. (Cottington Hill)
They probably use all the RF flying about there to light up their
caravans at night.

Don't these masts "donut" the signal outwards so directly below and directly
above get poor reception? FWIW, high gain WiFi antenna typically do this
(replacing a fairly spherical output in the basic antenna with a donut
output from the high gain) which is OK if you know what you're doing but you
can find that improving the reception in a distant room results in losing
reception in the floors above or below the antenna.

Paul DS.

Old October 6th 06, 12:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
ups.com...

Bill Wright wrote:
"Mark Carver" wrote in message
oups.com...
There's a Caravan Club site right next to the 500 ft TV mast at
Hannington. (Cottington Hill)
They probably use all the RF flying about there to light up their
caravans at night.

Do you think that's possible Mark? Have you done the maths?

Ooh no, no maths have been done. It was of course a frivolous comment,
but I'm off down the pub now,

Life of Riley if you ask me . . .

Old October 6th 06, 12:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Paul D.Smith wrote:
"Mark Carver" wrote in message

There's a Caravan Club site right next to the 500 ft TV mast at
Hannington. (Cottington Hill)
They probably use all the RF flying about there to light up their
caravans at night.

Don't these masts "donut" the signal outwards so directly below and directly
above get poor reception? FWIW, high gain WiFi antenna typically do this
(replacing a fairly spherical output in the basic antenna with a donut
output from the high gain) which is OK if you know what you're doing but you
can find that improving the reception in a distant room results in losing
reception in the floors above or below the antenna.

Yes, it's a bit like leaning against the wall of a lighthouse, and
expecting to be able to read a book with its light.

Old October 6th 06, 04:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Paul D.Smith
writes
"Mark Carver" wrote in message
roups.com...

Paul D.Smith wrote:
[...]

Yes they do, it costs a lorra bunce to produce UHF RF in the required
amounts and one way of making the process more efficient is to up the
aerial gain and that means throwing it in a narrow a beam as possible to
the distant horizon with a small bit of down tilt!..
--
Tony Sayer