Poor DVD Picture

Old October 2nd 06, 09:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Geoff Lane

Default Poor DVD Picture

I've got a loft distribution system feeding 3 TVs.

My main TV is a Philips 24inch CRT and has a Sky dish connection.

For some reason my Philips DVD player gives a poor picture when played
through this TV, there is a heringbone effect on the screen and I
cannot seem to rectify it.

The Sky box and a video player both give an excellent picture and the
DVD player, when played through another TV (Smaller) gives a good
picture.

Strangely, if I disconnect the aerial from my Philips TV the image
improves, not perfect but a lot better.

Any ideas.

Geoff Lane

Old October 2nd 06, 09:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
DVDfever Dom

Geoff Lane wrote:
I've got a loft distribution system feeding 3 TVs.

My main TV is a Philips 24inch CRT and has a Sky dish connection.

For some reason my Philips DVD player gives a poor picture when played
through this TV, there is a heringbone effect on the screen and I
cannot seem to rectify it.

The Sky box and a video player both give an excellent picture and the
DVD player, when played through another TV (Smaller) gives a good
picture.

Strangely, if I disconnect the aerial from my Philips TV the image
improves, not perfect but a lot better.

Any ideas.

It's the signal from the aerial feedback back through the TV. Making
the SCARTs one-way helps (I've got an email with this somewhere so drop
me a line if you'd like it) as it means you can get better results with
a standard SCART and saves spending a fortune on them (which won't
necessarily solve the problem anyway).

I get a bit of a herringbone from time to time on my Panny as that's
through the s-video cable so I can't do to that what I can to the
SCARTs. Haven't noticed it for a while though.

Old October 3rd 06, 08:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D.Smith

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
I've got a loft distribution system feeding 3 TVs.

My main TV is a Philips 24inch CRT and has a Sky dish connection.

For some reason my Philips DVD player gives a poor picture when played
through this TV, there is a heringbone effect on the screen and I
cannot seem to rectify it.

The Sky box and a video player both give an excellent picture and the
DVD player, when played through another TV (Smaller) gives a good
picture.

Strangely, if I disconnect the aerial from my Philips TV the image
improves, not perfect but a lot better.

Any ideas.

Geoff Lane

How are these 3 boxes connected to your TV? As others have mentioned, you
may be getting a "loop back" through the various SCART sockets or it may be
that one or both of the non-DVD boxes are still feeding a signal to the TV
even when you select "DVD".

Either one of these "one-way" SCART cables, or perhaps a better SCART
switchbox (if that's what you're using) will help. As an example, I used to
get interference from a DVD player over the top of my video on my old SCART
box causing the picture to roll!

BTW, if you go for an expensive switchbox, the Holdan HSR1000 is nice but
has an irritating feature that you can't "lock" the video output without
switching to "manual" mode. I'm told that there is a similar box from a
different manufacturer (begins with B I think but can't remember the name)
that allows this and with 20/20 hindsight, I'd have got one of those.

Paul DS.

Old October 3rd 06, 02:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
spock

BTW, if you go for an expensive switchbox, the Holdan HSR1000 is nice but
has an irritating feature that you can't "lock" the video output without
switching to "manual" mode. I'm told that there is a similar box from a
different manufacturer (begins with B I think but can't remember the name)
that allows this and with 20/20 hindsight, I'd have got one of those.

Paul DS.

Is it this one ?

http://www.avreview.co.uk/review/rev...4277/RER/2/v/2

review here
http://www.b-tech-int.com/UK%20Newsl...eo%20small.jpg

Not tried it but am tempted.

Mike

Old October 3rd 06, 05:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Maurice Batey

On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 22:12:23 +0100, Geoff Lane wrote:

My main TV is a Philips 24inch CRT and has a Sky dish connection.

For some reason my Philips DVD player gives a poor picture when played
through this TV, there is a heringbone effect on the screen and I
cannot seem to rectify it.

Any improvement if you switch Sky off?

(With my setup, the Sky output mixes up with the DVD output, so
have to swutch Sky off...)

--
Maurice Batey

Old October 3rd 06, 06:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Geoff Lane

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 09:27:20 +0100, "Paul D.Smith"
wrote:

My main TV is a Philips 24inch CRT and has a Sky dish connection.

For some reason my Philips DVD player gives a poor picture when played
through this TV, there is a heringbone effect on the screen and I
cannot seem to rectify it.

How are these 3 boxes connected to your TV?

TV's got two scart sockets so Sky into one and DVD into the other with
the video being dormant of late.

Geoff Lane

Old October 4th 06, 07:43 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D.Smith

http://www.avreview.co.uk/review/rev...4277/RER/2/v/2

review here
http://www.b-tech-int.com/UK%20Newsl...eo%20small.jpg

Not tried it but am tempted.

Mike

I believe that's the one. Nothing against the Holdan's picture quality,
it's just that you get two choices:

1. Switch to manual and keep having to find the SCART box remote in order to
switch to a different feed
2. Risk loosing the recording you wanted because someone switches from
Freeview to DVD (say) and the feed to the video also switches (been there a
few times shortly after I bought it).

The B-Tech model I was looking at had a "lockdown video feed" feature and
avoided this problem.

Paul DS

Old October 4th 06, 07:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D.Smith

"Maurice Batey" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 22:12:23 +0100, Geoff Lane wrote:

My main TV is a Philips 24inch CRT and has a Sky dish connection.

For some reason my Philips DVD player gives a poor picture when played
through this TV, there is a heringbone effect on the screen and I
cannot seem to rectify it.

Any improvement if you switch Sky off?

(With my setup, the Sky output mixes up with the DVD output, so
have to swutch Sky off...)

Sounds just like what happened to me through a cheap SCART switchbox. That
would be really cruddy TV internals if that is what is happening.

Paul DS

Old October 4th 06, 05:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Maurice Batey

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 08:44:21 +0100, Paul D.Smith wrote:

sounds just like what happened to me through a cheap SCART switchbox.

No switchbox - Sky/VCR/DVD player each has own SCART socket on TV...

--
Maurice Batey

Old October 5th 06, 06:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Geoff Lane

wrote:

For some reason my Philips DVD player gives a poor picture when played
through this TV, there is a heringbone effect on the screen and I
cannot seem to rectify it.

How are these 3 boxes connected to your TV? As others have mentioned, you
may be getting a "loop back" through the various SCART sockets or it may be
that one or both of the non-DVD boxes are still feeding a signal to the TV
even when you select "DVD".

I've tried completely disconnecting the other devices and turning them
off, moving the DVD away from the TV but I still get the herringbone
effect unless I disconnect the TV aerial.

Geoff Lane