Poor DVD Picture

Old October 5th 06, 06:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Geoff Lane

Default Poor DVD Picture

On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 18:52:57 +0100, Maurice Batey
wrote:

On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 22:12:23 +0100, Geoff Lane wrote:

My main TV is a Philips 24inch CRT and has a Sky dish connection.

For some reason my Philips DVD player gives a poor picture when played
through this TV, there is a heringbone effect on the screen and I
cannot seem to rectify it.

Any improvement if you switch Sky off?

Nothing obvious, the aerial into the TV appears to be the main effect,
if I unplug the aerial TV display improves considerably.

Geoff Lane

Old October 11th 06, 01:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Zimmy

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
I've got a loft distribution system feeding 3 TVs.

My main TV is a Philips 24inch CRT and has a Sky dish connection.

For some reason my Philips DVD player gives a poor picture when played
through this TV, there is a heringbone effect on the screen and I
cannot seem to rectify it.

The Sky box and a video player both give an excellent picture and the
DVD player, when played through another TV (Smaller) gives a good
picture.

Strangely, if I disconnect the aerial from my Philips TV the image
improves, not perfect but a lot better.

Any ideas.

I get a similar effect (although only just noticeable) when playing DVDs
through my Panasonic, even when all other SCARTS are disconnected. You can
see some patterns and titles from the channel that the TV is tuned to as a
slight "embossed" effect on the DVD picture. I usually make sure that the TV
is switched to a detuned channel before watching a DVD. Then you only get a
slight random noise effect on the picture which isn't that noticeable at
normal viewing distances.

Makes no difference whether composite or RGB input.

I just put it down to some crosstalk inside the TV, but if anybody knows how
to get rid of it...

Old October 11th 06, 03:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
BJ

"Zimmy" wrote in message

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
[...]

For the OP, not an expert on this, by any means, but Scart is a 2-way
connection, so the TV must be outputting a signal which is interfering with
your DVD. Have you tried a different scart socket on the TV? Is your TV an
IDTV with an output channel?

If you had a scart lead which was not fully wired and just had the
connections for the DVD output, this would solve the problem.

Old October 11th 06, 03:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jukka Aho

Zimmy wrote:

I get a similar effect (although only just noticeable) when playing
DVDs through my Panasonic, even when all other SCARTS are
disconnected. You can see some patterns and titles from the channel
that the TV is tuned to as a slight "embossed" effect on the DVD
picture.

It's a common problem with poorly screened SCART cables.

TV sets equipped with a SCART connector typically send composite signal
from their own tuner to the SCART pin number 19. (The tv set's built-in
tuner is active all the time, even if you're watching a DVD.) If you
open the SCART connector at the tv's end and disconnect the pin number
19, these interference patterns will usually disappear.

Or, alternatively, just buy a better cable.

--
znark

Old October 12th 06, 11:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Geoff Lane

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 14:31:07 +0100, "Zimmy" wrote:

For some reason my Philips DVD player gives a poor picture when played
through this TV, there is a heringbone effect on the screen and I
cannot seem to rectify it.

I get a similar effect (although only just noticeable) when playing DVDs
through my Panasonic, even when all other SCARTS are disconnected. You can
see some patterns and titles from the channel that the TV is tuned to as a
slight "embossed" effect on the DVD picture. I usually make sure that the TV
is switched to a detuned channel before watching a DVD. Then you only get a
slight random noise effect on the picture which isn't that noticeable at
normal viewing distances.

Wee bit puzzled, when viewing the DVD doesn't the TV automatically
switch to the scart or AV channel or is different to the normal TV
channels.

Geoff Lane

Old October 12th 06, 12:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Zimmy

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
[...]

Yes it does, but the AV isn't actually a channel on the tuner at all, you're
just switching away from the tuner to another input. That's how your TV
'remembers' the channel that you were on when you switch back - because it
hasn't actually changed it.

Thanks to the other guys for that SCART cable info, I'll try it.

Old October 12th 06, 05:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Geoff Lane

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 13:15:41 +0100, "Zimmy" wrote:

Wee bit puzzled, when viewing the DVD doesn't the TV automatically
switch to the scart or AV channel or is different to the normal TV
channels.

Yes it does, but the AV isn't actually a channel on the tuner at all, you're
just switching away from the tuner to another input. That's how your TV
'remembers' the channel that you were on when you switch back - because it
hasn't actually changed it.

Ah, didn't actually think of that.

Thanks,

Geoff Lane