Leeds Piano festival, BBC Four

Old September 28th 06, 03:10 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
[email protected]

Default Leeds Piano festival, BBC Four

A (late) reminder that you can hear yet more classical music from the
BBC, at 256kbps mp2 (i.e. good quality) on BBC Four throughout this
week and weekend.

7pm ish (the exact time varies) each day, including Sunday. Leeds Piano
festival.

I believe that pictures are also provided, alongside the good quality
audio. The wonders of technology!

Cheers,
David.
P.S. How sad that none of the BBC digital radio stations can offer
audio quality approaching this.

Old September 28th 06, 07:57 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Bryn Harris

wrote in message
ups.com...
A (late) reminder that you can hear yet more classical music from the
BBC, at 256kbps mp2 (i.e. good quality) on BBC Four throughout this
week and weekend.

7pm ish (the exact time varies) each day, including Sunday. Leeds Piano
festival.

I believe that pictures are also provided, alongside the good quality
audio. The wonders of technology!

Cheers,
David.
P.S. How sad that none of the BBC digital radio stations can offer
audio quality approaching this.

Thanks for the reminder, David. For those who might have missed it, there is
a repeat at 03.20 tomorrow morning.

Old September 28th 06, 08:18 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Zero Tolerance

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 14:01:00 -0500, "James Edwards hacksaw.com"
wrote:

But the broadcasters asked the manufacturers to make low cost Freeview
boxes in an attempt to improve Freeview popularity.

And indeed they did for DAB, too...

Old September 29th 06, 01:20 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Ray

P.S. How sad that none of the BBC digital radio stations can offer
audio quality approaching this.

Yes its a complete nonsense. It was my discovery just over 12 months
ago that the Proms via BBC4 TV on my Freeview box sounded better than
R3 @192 on my Pure 701 - whilst R3 on Freeview sounded quite
noticeably worse, that set me off on a path of enquiry that led me to
find the digitalradiotech site and also this NG!!

Old September 29th 06, 01:31 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Ray

..

Pure receivers don't go over 192kbps, or so I'm told.

Not sure whether you are talking about Freeview or DAB, but if you do
mean DAB, the PURE 701 with latest software update (now at least 2
years old) will receive 256kBps. The earlier software was limited but
can't remember what the linit was.

Don't know about other Pure's though and anyway in UK its totally
academic because 192kBps is the highest that is likely to be used
because of bandwidth contraints and the high cost of broadcasting high
bit rate MP2.

Old September 29th 06, 01:50 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
DAB sounds worse than FM

Ray wrote:
.

Pure receivers don't go over 192kbps, or so I'm told.

Not sure whether you are talking about Freeview or DAB, but if you do
mean DAB, the PURE 701 with latest software update (now at least 2
years old) will receive 256kBps. The earlier software was limited
but can't remember what the linit was.

Don't know about other Pure's though and anyway in UK its totally
academic because 192kBps is the highest that is likely to be used
because of bandwidth contraints and the high cost of broadcasting high
bit rate MP2.

Yes, I think this problem was fixed a couple of years ago. Not that we'll
ever see 224 kbps or higher in the UK of course...

Find the cheapest Freeview & DAB prices:
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/fr..._receivers.php
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/dab/dab_radios.php

Old September 29th 06, 01:53 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
DAB sounds worse than FM

Ray wrote:
P.S. How sad that none of the BBC digital radio stations can offer
audio quality approaching this.

Yes its a complete nonsense. It was my discovery just over 12 months
ago that the Proms via BBC4 TV on my Freeview box sounded better than
R3 @192 on my Pure 701 - whilst R3 on Freeview sounded quite
noticeably worse, that set me off on a path of enquiry that led me to
find the digitalradiotech site

Admittedly, it is a great website. ;-)

Old September 29th 06, 02:11 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Colin Forrester

DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:
Ray wrote:
P.S. How sad that none of the BBC digital radio stations can offer
audio quality approaching this.

Yes its a complete nonsense. It was my discovery just over 12 months
ago that the Proms via BBC4 TV on my Freeview box sounded better than
R3 @192 on my Pure 701 - whilst R3 on Freeview sounded quite
noticeably worse, that set me off on a path of enquiry that led me to
find the digitalradiotech site

Admittedly, it is a great website. ;-)

Any idea what the quality of the services described here
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5389522.stm) are likely to be?
Old September 29th 06, 03:05 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Bill Wright

"DAB sounds worse than FM" wrote in message
Yes, I think this problem was fixed a couple of years ago. Not that we'll
ever see 224 kbps or higher in the UK of course...

Course we will. The pirates will do it.