Leeds Piano festival, BBC Four

Old September 29th 06, 03:17 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
DAB sounds worse than FM

Default Leeds Piano festival, BBC Four

Bill Wright wrote:
"DAB sounds worse than FM" wrote in message
Yes, I think this problem was fixed a couple of years ago. Not that
we'll ever see 224 kbps or higher in the UK of course...

Course we will. The pirates will do it.

True.

Find the cheapest Freeview & DAB prices:
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/fr..._receivers.php
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/dab/dab_radios.php

Old September 29th 06, 03:20 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
DAB sounds worse than FM

Colin Forrester wrote:
DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:
Ray wrote:
P.S. How sad that none of the BBC digital radio stations can offer
audio quality approaching this.
Yes its a complete nonsense. It was my discovery just over 12 months
ago that the Proms via BBC4 TV on my Freeview box sounded better
than R3 @192 on my Pure 701 - whilst R3 on Freeview sounded quite
noticeably worse, that set me off on a path of enquiry that led me
to find the digitalradiotech site

Admittedly, it is a great website. ;-)

Any idea what the quality of the services described here
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5389522.stm) are likely to
be?

It's too early to say, because I don't know what bandwidth, data capacity or
number of channels they're planning to use. It'll be a given that they'll
use AAC+, though, so that maximises the likelihood that the quality will be
good.

Old September 29th 06, 03:41 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
hwh

Bill Wright wrote:
"DAB sounds worse than FM" wrote in message
Yes, I think this problem was fixed a couple of years ago. Not that we'll
ever see 224 kbps or higher in the UK of course...

Course we will. The pirates will do it.

Now that would be nice. And no problem, because even at PL2 they can
have a few stations at 256 kbps. in their software-generated multiplex.

gr, hwh
Old October 2nd 06, 01:49 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast

Ray wrote:
P.S. How sad that none of the BBC digital radio stations can offer
audio quality approaching this.
Yes its a complete nonsense. It was my discovery just over 12 months
ago that the Proms via BBC4 TV on my Freeview box sounded better
than R3 @192 on my Pure 701 - whilst R3 on Freeview sounded quite
noticeably worse, that set me off on a path of enquiry that led me
to find the digitalradiotech site

Admittedly, it is a great website. ;-)

Any idea what the quality of the services described here
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5389522.stm) are likely to
be?

It's too early to say, because I don't know what bandwidth, data capacity or
number of channels they're planning to use. It'll be a given that they'll
use AAC+, though, so that maximises the likelihood that the quality will be
good.

The US equivalent services certainly aren't good quality! They sound
artificial, dull and mushy. The problems sound completely different
from the mp2 artefacts we hear on DAB, but the results are certainly
not CD quality!

Cheers,
David.

Old October 2nd 06, 02:15 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
DAB sounds worse than FM

(
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5389522.stm) are likely to
be?

It's too early to say, because I don't know what bandwidth, data
capacity or number of channels they're planning to use. It'll be a
given that they'll use AAC+, though, so that maximises the
likelihood that the quality will be good.

The US equivalent services certainly aren't good quality! They sound
artificial, dull and mushy. The problems sound completely different
from the mp2 artefacts we hear on DAB, but the results are certainly
not CD quality!

hwh has also said that XM or Sirius (can't remember which one) sounded poor.
However, I still say that it is unfair to write off the audio quality on the
European satellite digital radio system(s) 3 to 4 years before it launches!

Old October 2nd 06, 03:59 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
hwh

DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:
hwh has also said that XM or Sirius (can't remember which one) sounded poor.
However, I still say that it is unfair to write off the audio quality on the
European satellite digital radio system(s) 3 to 4 years before it launches!

The one with the Elvis channel :-)

gr, hwh
Old October 2nd 06, 04:28 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
DAB sounds worse than FM

hwh wrote:
DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:
hwh has also said that XM or Sirius (can't remember which one)
sounded poor. However, I still say that it is unfair to write off
the audio quality on the European satellite digital radio system(s)
3 to 4 years before it launches!

The one with the Elvis channel :-)

Elvis Radio on Sirius:

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1104779639585

Old October 13th 06, 11:52 AM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast

Bryn Harris wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
A (late) reminder that you can hear yet more classical music from the
BBC, at 256kbps mp2 (i.e. good quality) on BBC Four throughout this
week and weekend.

7pm ish (the exact time varies) each day, including Sunday. Leeds Piano
festival.

I believe that pictures are also provided, alongside the good quality
audio. The wonders of technology!

Cheers,
David.
P.S. How sad that none of the BBC digital radio stations can offer
audio quality approaching this.

Thanks for the reminder, David. For those who might have missed it, there is
a repeat at 03.20 tomorrow morning.

Having saved them from the Pace Twin to the PC this weekend, and
thinking happily that the BBC were doing something worthwhile for once,
it occurred to me that with three billion pounds they should be
televising live concerts every single night of the year, not just for
four weeks.

Surely high quality PSB output should be the rule, rather than the
exception?

Cheers,
David.