Luxor LCD TVs

Old September 9th 06, 12:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D

Default Luxor LCD TVs

I've been looking around for a 23 inch Freeview LCD for my mother. On
browsing the Empire Direct website I've found a brand called Luxor, which
I've never heard of.

There's nothing on the net about them and they are only sold through Empire.
However, their 23 inch freeview TV is around 100 pounds cheaper than the
equivalent Toshiba, which I was planning to buy! The Luxor costs only 375
pounds. They also do an HD ready 32 inch freeview LCD for only 544 pounds!

Can anyone shed any light on this mysterious brand? Obviously it would be
pointless to save 100 pounds but to have an inferior picture or for the unit
to break down in a year. As a rule I tend to shy aware from these unknown or
supermarket brands for that reason.

23 inch:
http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/conten...e~LUX-2311.htm

32 inch:
http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/conten...e~LUX-3211.htm

Old September 9th 06, 07:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Reg M

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 00:27:51 GMT, "Paul D" wrote:

[...]

Paul,
I had a Luxor TV many moons ago and then it was part of the Nokia
group - don't know if that has changed since.
Reg
Old September 9th 06, 08:05 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Reg M

PS: See http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,,27543,00.html
Old September 9th 06, 08:14 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David

"Paul D" wrote in message
. uk...
I've been looking around for a 23 inch Freeview LCD for my mother. On
browsing the Empire Direct website ....

The thing I noted about this company is that they now sell at the same price
in their shops as on the web site.
In the past thier web site was a lot cheaper than thier shop. This new
policy as meant a RISE in price on the web to thier shop price.
I find that if one uses www.pricerunner.co.uk for a product ED are always
now at the bottom end of the lists.

In this case no one ealse has this model. So one needs to find out
name/model of other badges used by who ever makes it to get comparinson.

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Old September 9th 06, 06:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Gendy

What gets me is that the buying public are now being coerced into buying LCD
or plasma as the retailers are simply phasing CRT sets out of their stock.

Viz Comet on - line ..only 8 CTR TVs available now compared to 80+ LCD or
plasma sets.

The Government should wake up to this as the power consumption of these
so-called HDTV sets ,LCD or plasma is considerably greater than their CTR
counterparts ... when we should be acting to conserve power and limit its
consumption the stupid TV industry and the retail sheds are combining to
increase it. But the price of a 32" 16x9 CRT set has dropped like a stone
from 3 years ago.

Above all programme crap is programme crap whether it is watched in low
definition or high definition.

Old September 9th 06, 07:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I've seen a couple of these. They only have 1 scart socket and the
picture is 'normal' for an LCD. The customers seem happy enough with
the picture. I havent seen them working on HD so I cant comment. No
digital tuner but what do you expect at that price.

Old September 9th 06, 08:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David

"Mike Henry" wrote in message
..

Eight years after the launch of DTT, I expect a digital tuner at every
price.

I would not want a TV with Freeview built in.
Takes away the choice of Sky, Cable, Freeview and dare I say it, TopUp.
--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Old September 9th 06, 09:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan

In message , Mike Henry
wrote
In .com,
" wrote:
I've seen a couple of these. They only have 1 scart socket and the
picture is 'normal' for an LCD. The customers seem happy enough with
the picture. I havent seen them working on HD so I cant comment. No
digital tuner but what do you expect at that price.

Eight years after the launch of DTT, I expect a digital tuner at every
price.

Digital tuner for what? Freeview? Satellite? Cable? HD?
Perhaps not everyone uses the same receiving / decoding method as
yourself.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com