DVB-T Hard Disk / DVD-R recorder for 219.99

Old September 4th 06, 03:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian B

Default DVB-T Hard Disk / DVD-R recorder for 219.99

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ce=1&doy=4m 9

Only a single tuner, but for the mythical PVR with DVD-R, that sounds like a
bargain.

It's a "Yamada" - Does anyone have any experience of their stuff? Is this
likely to be a crash-a-minute job ?

Adrian B

Old September 4th 06, 06:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Pyriform

Adrian B wrote:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ce=1&doy=4m 9

Only a single tuner, but for the mythical PVR with DVD-R, that sounds
like a bargain.

It's only the twin tuner ones that are mythical. Like Unicorns. And I'm not
going round that bloody loop again...

It's a "Yamada" - Does anyone have any experience of their stuff?

I wouldn't buy their stuff purely because of the name. Too much like a
"Yamaha" knock-off.

Old September 4th 06, 06:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian

It's a "Yamada" - Does anyone have any experience of their stuff?

I wouldn't buy their stuff purely because of the name. Too much like a
"Yamaha" knock-off.

It's a cross between Yamaha and Lada ;o)

--
Ian

Old September 4th 06, 07:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Howells

"Adrian B" wrote

Only a single tuner, but for the mythical PVR with DVD-R, that sounds like

bargain.

Maybe, if it did a decent job, and if it were a PVR with a DVD-R. But like
most such boxes it just uses a Freeview tuner connected the same as an
analogue tuner. The recorder does not capture the digital stream, as does a
PVR, but records the analogue output from the tuner, and in this case the
composite analogue output at that! So you've got a quite unnecessary MPEG2
decode and recode going on, which cannot be good for the picture quality,
particularly given the marginal bit rates used for UK DTT channels. See the
November 2006 (yes, Nov.) issue of What Video ..., which should be out any
day now, for a review.

To my mind a PVR with DVD-R has to capture the digital stream directly and
record that, so you get the benefits of whatever encode the broadcasters
use, with no recoding. With the Nebula card on my PC I get just that.

John Howells

Old September 5th 06, 08:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian B

"Pyriform" wrote in message
Only a single tuner, but for the mythical PVR with DVD-R, that sounds
like a bargain.

It's only the twin tuner ones that are mythical. Like Unicorns. And I'm
not going round that bloody loop again...

Thank the lord!

It's a "Yamada" - Does anyone have any experience of their stuff?

I wouldn't buy their stuff purely because of the name. Too much like a
"Yamaha" knock-off.

My thoughts exactly. Likewise for Somy, Panasunic and Techniks (which
actually exists - my daughter has a dodgy CD player by them).

AdrianB

Old September 5th 06, 08:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian B

"John Howells" wrote in message
"Adrian B" wrote

Maybe, if it did a decent job, and if it were a PVR with a DVD-R. But like
most such boxes it just uses a Freeview tuner connected the same as an
analogue tuner.

Ugh. Not good. Although I suspect the average punter wouldn't know the
difference. For a home cinema setup, it would be a non-starter, but I am
looking for a box to sit under a 15" LCD in the bedroom, viewed from the
other side of the room. Under those circumstances, I doubt I would notice
the difference. Still, it's a cludge, and therefore a pitty.

I don't want to upset Proform, but.... As Ive said elsewhere, I'd much
rather the MPEG2 transcoding was done ONLY when recording directly to DVD,
or when copying to DVD ftom the HD. I'd happily put up with the the reduced
copy speed, because that would be a relatively rare thing (perhaps 5% of
what I record is subsequently burnt to DVD). If it's done that way, then a
dual tuner is no problem.

To my mind a PVR with DVD-R has to capture the digital stream directly and
record that, so you get the benefits of whatever encode the broadcasters
use, with no recoding.

I agree 100% - see above.

Adrian B

Old September 5th 06, 08:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roger R

"Adrian B" wrote in message
news:[email protected]..
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ce=1&doy=4m 9

Only a single tuner, but for the mythical PVR with DVD-R, that sounds like
a bargain.

It's a "Yamada" - Does anyone have any experience of their stuff? Is this
likely to be a crash-a-minute job ?

My Yamada DVD player has given no problems at all, and I've had it for some
years. The brand is usually available on Amazon at advantageous prices,
though I havn't checked this one out.

I understand Yamada is the same as Umax who make the scanners, so it is
quite a large manufacturer. Probably manufacture the 'top brand' stuff too,
if reports of outsourcing of computer DVD read-writers by Sony is anything
to go by.

Roger

Old September 5th 06, 09:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Pyriform

Adrian B wrote:
I don't want to upset Proform

Don't they make treadmills?

Old September 5th 06, 10:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian B

"Pyriform" wrote in message
Adrian B wrote:
I don't want to upset Proform

Don't they make treadmills?

Errr. yes.

Sorry Mr Pyriform. I stand (or rather sit) corrected.

AdrianB

Old September 5th 06, 11:14 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Pyriform

Adrian B wrote:
"Pyriform" wrote in message
Adrian B wrote:
I don't want to upset Proform

Don't they make treadmills?

Errr. yes.

Sorry Mr Pyriform. I stand (or rather sit) corrected.

Actually I thought it was quite appropriate. It certainly *felt* like I was
on a treadmill in the dual tuner / dvd-r debate...