Lidl Satellite reciever etc. from 28th August

Old August 21st 06, 12:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David

Default Lidl Satellite reciever etc. from 28th August

Silvercrest is model number and web site of this make known?

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Old August 21st 06, 02:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Malcolm H

"David" wrote in message
Silvercrest is model number and web site of this make known?

--
Regards,
David

A little Google work led to this:

http://www.comag-ag.de/engl/en_home.html

Old August 21st 06, 02:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill (Adopt)

In article ,
David wrote:

Silvercrest is model number and web site of this make known?

Magnifying the piccies on the site suggest that it's a

Silvercrest SL 65..

Originallyy, (or perhaps still), produced by COMAG.

I have had the identical set in operation for more
than a couple or three years and, as well as the
features described on:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pa...e_Receiver.ar3

and better described on

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pa...iver _Set.ar3

The SL 65 receiver, as well as being supplied with a twin LNB
allowing for the reception of two groups of satellites,
(usually Astra 28E and Hotbird 13E), also 'boasts' a USALS
set-up where you may enter your latitude and longitude and get
the SL 65 to automatically search for all satellite groups
programmed into it's database using a motorized dish set-up.

As for the receiver it appears to give rock solid and sharp,
well-defined piccies including good, vibrant colours (using a
Sony 32" W/S), as well as a quality sound. Radio is also
included.. )

Amongst the other more important things, there is also a
freeze-frame facility as well as a Zoom facility and the
ability to 'save' and store whatever piccy is on screen.

Try, however, ordinary Ceefax/Teletext from your receivers
handset - you'll get all that channels information, including
films for the next week or so - albeit all in 'foreign'!

...at least it works on my Sony ) ..as well as the digital
EPG for that channel if it's being tranmitted - and a sort
of window in window reception for the 'next' ten channels,
(moving and sound in the one selected to allow for a quick
look before choosing)..

I'm sure I've missed something here - but it really is an
easy box to use, well-prepared and put together, with a very
readable, indexed, simple and well laid out printed manual,
in 'English' ..not the often roughly translated A4 photocopy.

I'd give it top marks for quality, construction, set-up,
ease of use - and, at this stage 2/3 years on, total reliability.

Oh yes, there's also a three-year warranty should anything
go wrong...

hh... )

Bill ZFC

--
Adoption InterLink UK with -=- http://www.billsimpson.com/
Domain Host Orpheus Internet -=- http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk/
Old August 21st 06, 03:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D

Bill (Adopt) wrote:
In article ,
David wrote:

[...]

Are you sure it's the type of LNB that gives access to two satellites? It's
described as a twin LNB as opposed to a dual LNB. If I'm right this means
that it's a single block (one satellite) with two outputs, so it can feed a
PVR (watch one channel and record another) or feed two separate receivers.
The pic seems to bear this out too.

Also, the dish is very small (57 cm).

Still, for use in the south of England, locked on to Astra 1, Astra 2 or
Hotbird it would be a useful addition to a Freeview system at a good price
(60.00 pounds).

Old August 21st 06, 03:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
SoWeezy

Silvercrest is model number and web site of this make known?

can you only get the FTV and not the FTA channels ?

Old August 21st 06, 04:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yaz

"SoWeezy" wrote in message
. uk...
Silvercrest is model number and web site of this make known?

can you only get the FTV and not the FTA channels ?

Which channels would one get with this receiver in the Midlands area? Any
subscriptions?

Yaz

Old August 21st 06, 04:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh SoWeezy:
Silvercrest is model number and web site of this make known?

can you only get the FTV and not the FTA channels ?

Surely you mean that the other way around?

FTA - Free To Air - Thus meaning not encrypted and therefore any DVB-S
receiver will pick up the channels.

FTV - Free To View - Thus meaning the channels are encrypted and require
a viewing card, but no monthly payment, for the 3 FTV channels for the
UK, Ch4, Five and Sky Three you require a Sky Dodgy-box.

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Old August 21st 06, 04:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Yaz:
"SoWeezy" wrote in message
. uk...
Silvercrest is model number and web site of this make known?

can you only get the FTV and not the FTA channels ?

Which channels would one get with this receiver in the Midlands area?
Any subscriptions?

Yaz

Too numerous to list.

Take a look at www.freesatfromsky.com you will be able to view all those
channels minus Ch4, Five and Sky Three

Then have a look at http://www.lyngsat.com/europe.html view all the
different satellites and look for which ones are FTA (Free To Air - In
The Clear) and then check the coverage maps and see if the dish you buy
is big enough to pull those channels in.

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Old August 22nd 06, 07:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill (Adopt)

In article ,
Paul D wrote:
Bill (Adopt) wrote:
In article ,
David wrote:

[..] (some snips)..

Are you sure it's the type of LNB that gives access to two satellites? It's
described as a twin LNB as opposed to a dual LNB. If I'm right this means
that it's a single block (one satellite) with two outputs, so it can feed a
PVR (watch one channel and record another) or feed two separate receivers.
The pic seems to bear this out too.

Perhaps - you might be correct, but I can't answer that
from my magnified examination of the sales pitch until
I see the package contents on sale - and, of course,
read the additional installation notes that come with
the complete package. (See note 1 way below)..

All that I can say - from my present experience - is
that my LiDL package LNB seems to pick up two separate
sat feeds - presently one from Hotbird at 13E at which
the dish is primarily aimed - and an additional feed that
shows as an equally strong signal apparently from
Atlantic Bird (3) at 5W.

Of course there may be other reasons as to why my
dish/LNB setup should do this, but simplistically it
does fit in with LiDL's 'twin LNB' advertising claim.
I discovered it playing around with the SL 65's
'tuning' - signal strength meters, as well as the
USALS and the DiSEqC 1.2 menu(s).. ) ..however you
speill the last..

In any event, the SL 65 can certainly support a group
of LNBs if you don't wish or need to use a motorized
dish mount...

With the SL 65's dish feed loop-through it is possible
to feed twin boxes anyway and, with it's twin scarts,
(VCR and TV - or AV1 and AV2) together with it's S-VHS
output and L/R stereo jacks, it should be possible to
connect a single box to more than one input/output or
monitoring devices.

I certainly have mine connected directly to a Thompson
VHS edit deck (historical!), a DVDR via it's S-VHS output
and a Sony TV 'monitor' at the end of an integrated AV
system without any problem, whilst maintaining an apparently
twin satellite feed.

When I get the money - (pensioner!) - I'll put in the
dish motor and see just how well my 39.99gbp box does in
the horizon to horizon auto-location stakes. Not that
I expect a problem and, after more than a couple of
years of utterly reliable viewing/archiving/timewasting
at the price, I don't think I'll be complaining toooo
loudly if it doesn't work quite as intended...! )

Also, the dish is very small (57 cm).

The LiDL package that I have came with an 85cm dish - I
rather thought this latest offer is similar - but it
would be as well to check out the separate 85cm dish which,
at 14.99gbp, should also be on offer at the same time...

The 57cm dish (or smaller?) that you mention is the one
sold with the portable camper package, so that it fits
in the suitcase holding all the parts, including the nicely
compact SL 65, which is the same 'box' that comes with
either package.

85cm would be a little on the large side for weekend
backpack luggability in the Wilds... )

Still, for use in the south of England, locked on to Astra 1, Astra 2 or
Hotbird it would be a useful addition to a Freeview system at a good price
(60.00 pounds).

Indeed - and you are also quite correct to suggest that
a buyer should check the size of the dish. With the 85cm
it picks up just about everything including the bugs on the
tree in next door's garden ..and quite a bit more as well,
from anywhere in GB and possibly beyond... )

Noticing other comments, it's as well to state that
the SL 65 is an FTA box - ie, it is for 'Free To Air'
reception; unencrypted channels freely available, of
which there are some thousands.

There is no CAM provision for subscription cards,
whether FTV or not.

hh )

Bill ZFC
e&oe ..always!

(1) As these packages tend to get sold within the first
ten or fifteen minutes from the opening of all the LiDL
stores, across Europe - I've found the best way to check
the manuals and installation notes is to grab a couple of
packages - plus extra bits such as an additional dish,
satellite 'finders', cabling or whatever else first - bang
them in your trolley - then gently open one package to get
at the said manuals and notes.

Quickly check - you will have a conversation with one or
more similar enthusiasts - and then, when satisfied that
you have what you want, put the extra bits back on the
shelf/in the bins. They too will then disappear within..
...oooeerr.. 60 seconds or less!

...a thought to the wise... again, hope helps.. )

Old August 22nd 06, 09:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D

Bill (Adopt) wrote:
In article ,
Paul D wrote:
Bill (Adopt) wrote:

Snip

(1) As these packages tend to get sold within the first
ten or fifteen minutes from the opening of all the LiDL
stores, across Europe - I've found the best way to check
the manuals and installation notes is to grab a couple of
packages - plus extra bits such as an additional dish,
satellite 'finders', cabling or whatever else first - bang
them in your trolley - then gently open one package to get
at the said manuals and notes.

Quickly check - you will have a conversation with one or
more similar enthusiasts - and then, when satisfied that
you have what you want, put the extra bits back on the
shelf/in the bins. They too will then disappear within..
..oooeerr.. 60 seconds or less!

..a thought to the wise... again, hope helps.. )

Very useful info Bill!

Can I ask how much you paid for installation? Here in London I'm being
quoted ludicrous sums (around 200 pounds) for what is a simple rig. This is
for both fixed dish and motorised systems. Admittedly it's prior to a proper
site survey, so the actual cost might come down a bit.

I'd be prepared to do it myself but I'm nervous about drilling into masonry
for setting up the dish mount and routing the cable into the lounge.