Lidl Satellite reciever etc. from 28th August

Old August 22nd 06, 10:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
SoWeezy

Default Lidl Satellite reciever etc. from 28th August

can you only get the FTV and not the FTA channels ?

Surely you mean that the other way around?

FTA - Free To Air - Thus meaning not encrypted and therefore any DVB-S
receiver will pick up the channels.

FTV - Free To View - Thus meaning the channels are encrypted and require a
viewing card, but no monthly payment, for the 3 FTV channels for the UK,
Ch4, Five and Sky Three you require a Sky Dodgy-box.

the description reads "Free-to-air receiver"

Old August 22nd 06, 11:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian McKenna

The receiver alone is worth it just to use as a digital radio outlet along
with a stereo,that what i will use it for,i already have a quad lnb and
satellite conections through out the house3!

Old August 22nd 06, 01:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill (Adopt)

In article ,
Paul D wrote:
Bill (Adopt) wrote:
In article ,
Paul D wrote:
Bill (Adopt) wrote:

Snip

(1) As these packages tend to get sold within the first
ten or fifteen minutes from the opening of all the LiDL
stores, across Europe - I've found the best way to check
the manuals and installation notes is to grab a couple of
packages - plus extra bits such as an additional dish,
satellite 'finders', cabling or whatever else first - bang
them in your trolley - then gently open one package to get
at the said manuals and notes.

Quickly check - you will have a conversation with one or
more similar enthusiasts - and then, when satisfied that
you have what you want, put the extra bits back on the
shelf/in the bins. They too will then disappear within..
..oooeerr.. 60 seconds or less!

..a thought to the wise... again, hope helps.. )

Very useful info Bill!

You're welcome, Paul ..just hope it is a help. I have
found that LiDL offerings, including their yearly satellite
packages, to be very good value. There's always that little
extra that you don't expect - and a strong 3yr warranty if
anything should ever go amiss...

Can I ask how much you paid for installation?

Initially (it was an analogue package around four years ago),
39.99gbp for the package - including 20metres of quality
cabling, all weather seals, F-Connectors - the works including
the twin universal LNB). I paid an additional 2.99gbp for
the mounting bracket...

So.. 41.98gbp and a few minutes graft with a drill-owning
friend - who also had the correct sizes of ring spanners
for the various dish and mounting bolts...

The next year added to with the new digital SL 65 box at
39.99gbpwhich just dropped in perfectly without any further
fuss. The same well-sorted little box as on sale next week.

The prices haven't changed!

In your case, perhaps 59.99gbp for the complete package
with all the bits and pieces; possibly 14.99gbp for an
85cm dish if the package doesn't have it - although not
necessary for London and the South - and, again, 2.99gbp
for the basic bracket - perhaps an extra 3.99gbp for a
the digital satellite locator just in case...

A set of simple tools - ring spanners, cross-head drivers
and a borrowed masonry drill would be helpful ) - the
mountings come with all the 'Rawlplug' type masonry fixings
along with the rest of the package. So whatever your choice
adds up to - from 39.99gbp/41.98gbp to a possible 82.96gbp
inclusive of all extras...

Here in London I'm being
quoted ludicrous sums (around 200 pounds) for what is a simple rig.
This is
for both fixed dish and motorised systems. Admittedly it's prior to
a proper
site survey, so the actual cost might come down a bit.

Unless you have Bill Wright doing it, then don't be
surprised if the cost goes towards the satellites
themselves. It's still an area of (often unecessary)
calculations, compasses, complex equations, fingers in
wind and so on! Like a mediocre Barista's capuccino,
you can pay for the flash performance, rather than the
quality of the brewed liquid... )

I'd be prepared to do it myself but I'm nervous about drilling
into masonry
for setting up the dish mount and routing the cable into the lounge.

OK.. I did my own - or rather I encouraged my near
neighbour with a similar heart operation to the multiple
bypass that I have had, to assist. Between us we somehow
mounted the bracket on the wall at a convenient spot.
(The quality cabling and all plugs, silicon seals etc etc
comes with the LiDL kit).

Don't, however, drill into any mortar - mortar is not
strong enough to support the weight of the bracket and
dish. In a strong wind, the dish has an enormous force
- and can sail many hundreds of metres if it ever takes
off. Dishes have been known to bring down whole walls -
although an innocent 'ooops' to your buildings insurer
will probably get immediate help!...

Mounting the bracket meant drilling four holes for, in my
case, the basic 2.99gbp steel mounting bracket - also on
sale next week in LiDL. It's not advanced technology - but
has survived storm level winds, snow, hail, sleet as well
as an early hamfisted adjustment, for more than three years
now...

The important thing is to make sure that the upright upon
which you will mount either the dish, or the motor to which
you may attach the dish, is absolutely perpendicular. Use a
spirit level to check this, from all 'sides'. This is
essential to get the dish trained correctly in the next few
minutes - saving many hours of experimentation and fuss later.

However, don't bend the upright part of the tubing - it's
rather hefty anyway - put washers behind the four bolts
of the backing plate, but only if necessary. On tightening
the backing plate the mounting will be firmly held against
the wall, the washers providing any slight angle adjustment
in aligning the mount to the perpendicular. It's actually
easier than it reads...

After that, follow the destructions that come in the dish
package... they tell you how to line the dish up and tweak
it to get the best signal. (Signal detectors are also
available at LiDL, next week, for 3.99gbp) - although the
SL 65 also has strength and quality signal detectors on
board as well...

By the way - you don't always /need/ to mount the dish on
a roof or chimney pot - unless you live permanently in the
loft.. )

They can be mounted at normal ground level standing height
and just next to the window nearest to your TV/AV setup..

Unlike analogue or digital TV that need some clear line
to a transmitter, the microwaves of a satellite transmission
have already travelled the best part of (at least) 47,000 miles
getting to you - 23,500 'up' and 23,500 back 'down'. So,
a few feet more or less up or down on the side of your house,
flats, whatever isn't going to make too much of a difference.

Of course it's better to have line of site to a satellite -
but the dishes will work surprisingly well providing other
houses, trees, walls etc aren't within less than a few metres
or so. (Often hidden low down in a garden, just above the
reach of a grasscutter is a position that can please both
neighbours and the local council)!

Nearby trees can be the most difficult, with evilly waving
branches deliberately set on knackering your Sunday afternoon's
gondola racing from Venice... )

Whatever, if all else fails and you still can't get a signal,
then don't be frightened of asking a known professional or
neighbour who's done it before, to help tweak the dish it's
final few steps. It's a lot cheaper and chances are that you
will manage it for yourself by following carefully, step by
step, all the instructions that come with the kit.

Hope this all helps.. )

Bill ZFC

--
Adoption InterLink UK with -=- http://www.billsimpson.com/
Domain Host Orpheus Internet -=- http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk/
Old August 22nd 06, 01:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D

Bill (Adopt) wrote:
In article ,

snip

Whatever, if all else fails and you still can't get a signal,
then don't be frightened of asking a known professional or
neighbour who's done it before, to help tweak the dish it's
final few steps. It's a lot cheaper and chances are that you
will manage it for yourself by following carefully, step by
step, all the instructions that come with the kit.

Hope this all helps.. )

Bill ZFC

Thanks for the comprehensive response Bill! Very helpful to me and I'm sure
to others as well.

Old August 22nd 06, 04:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh SoWeezy:
can you only get the FTV and not the FTA channels ?

Surely you mean that the other way around?

FTA - Free To Air - Thus meaning not encrypted and therefore any
DVB-S receiver will pick up the channels.

FTV - Free To View - Thus meaning the channels are encrypted and
require a viewing card, but no monthly payment, for the 3 FTV
channels for the UK, Ch4, Five and Sky Three you require a Sky
Dodgy-box.

the description reads "Free-to-air receiver"

Exactly - FTA - Free To Air and not Free To View.

So you will only get the FTA channels not the three FTV channels.

To get the 3 FTV channels you need a Sky Dodgy box and viewing card.

FTA channels are receivable by any DVB-S receiver whether it's a FTA
receiver, a Sky Dodgy=box or any other DVB-S receiver whether it has
encryption or not.

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Old August 24th 06, 01:23 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D

Paul D wrote:
Bill (Adopt) wrote:
In article ,

snip

Whatever, if all else fails and you still can't get a signal,
then don't be frightened of asking a known professional or
neighbour who's done it before, to help tweak the dish it's
final few steps. It's a lot cheaper and chances are that you
will manage it for yourself by following carefully, step by
step, all the instructions that come with the kit.

Hope this all helps.. )

Bill ZFC

Thanks for the comprehensive response Bill! Very helpful to me and
I'm sure to others as well.

One thing I forgot to ask - does this receiver have an on board timer, like
the Skybox 'Autoview', which enables the user to programme a channel change
at a certain time so that it can be used in conjunction with an external
recorder?

Old August 24th 06, 04:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill (Adopt)

In article ,
Paul D wrote:
Paul D wrote:
Bill (Adopt) wrote:
In article ,

snip

One thing I forgot to ask - does this receiver have an on board
timer, like the Skybox 'Autoview', which enables the user to
programme a channel change
at a certain time so that it can be used in conjunction with an
external recorder?

Oh dear, Paul..! ..you make me wonder just what we all
really expect from a tiny little box about the size of
a thin(ish), small(ish) pocket-book costing an equally
miniaturised 39.99gbp..? )

A Timer...?) ..in short, yes!

Two methods of use that I can see - (it's called a
'Wakeup timer'). Either have it switched 'off' (or to
auto) within the general system time setup menu where
such things as date, time, GMT offset etc are reached.

In this case the timer button, placed ergonomically
next to the EPG button, will only respond if the EPG
data is being transmitted for the channel chosen. On
selection in conjunction with an active EPG it will
display the information for the EPG programme chosen -
and may, similar to a PVR, be adapted manually or
accepted as is.

If, however, the wakeup timer is set in the main time
submenu to 'manual', then the Timer button is always
available, listing the thousands of channels you might
have stored. It will then operate manually for any of
the selected channels, including the scrambled/dead ones.

Up to eight (8) timer selections may be stored, listed
for once, daily, weekly, monthly or yearly. The timer
also has the option for a 'general' message, or a
message for a birthday and also an anniversary...

...remember ..this little but powerful device, the 39.99gbp
Silverscreen SL 65 (Comag), /is/ an ambassador for LiDL...! )

OK ..to try and avoid immediate questions and for any
who are interested - the SL65's list of features/benefits:

Selection of OSD languages as befits a device on sale
over the whole (!) of Europe next Monday...

Software updates via Astra 19C or via RS232.

Rapid switching response time - and fast boot process
if switching on from an power down or power reset
condition...

Saves last channel watched - with 'back' or 'skip' key
to previous setting...

Fully compliant with MPEG-2 nd DVB...

MPEG Video ([email protected]), MPEG-1 Audio Layer 1, Layer 2...

Full LNB control logic, including DiSEcQ 1.0, 1.2 and
USALS/'GoToX' function (on entry of Latitude, Longitude
with motorised dish aimed at one of/or a pre-programmed
or pre-entered satellite position).

Symbol rates 1-35 MS/s and 950-2150 MHz input frequency.
(A limited Sky box it is not)!

Manual PID entries etc possible...

Installation assistant should everything be completely
wiped!

Child lock - although some of the best Italian cartoons
seem to be interspersed with live boobs, male 'chests'
(and the rest) for those interested - interspersed with
recitals of the Qu'r'n and piccies of 'Il Papa' at home.

One favourites list - and nine 'channel group' lists,
with editor and selection icons...

Automatic scanning of broadcasting stations...

List editor(s) for broadcasting stations...

Analogue sound output via cinch connectors - including
a volume and a mute control from the remote...

Ergonomically designed (and positive press) remote...

RCA Video output Cinch.. (cvbs)...

RCA Audio L/R Cinch (jacks)...

S-VHS output...

SPDiF: Coaxial Optical audio output...

Twin scarts - AV1 (TV) AV2 Euro (VCR)

TV scart with CVBS, RGB and YUV...

Loop through for F-Connection of a further box...

Super-Fast Teletext with 800 page memory - read all about
it in many foreign languages - no prizes those able to
guess the onscreen displays in Polish, Hungarian or Russian...
(Many European channels, but particularly Polish and often
Italian broadcasters, have English sub-titles for the benefit
of their many European cousins)...

...except for French channels - very high quality, but with
French subtitles only.. )

Full radio reception - many thousands of stations - with
background on-screen piccy selectable from menu...

Selectable full channel info on screen at change-over, with
choice of styles, colours, transparency and display-time.
Includes current time - which may be that of the channel
being transmitted, ie.. GMT, CET, or whatever pertains
locally in the many channels from around the world...

Screen ration may be set to 4:3 cut and dried, 4:3 pan and scan,
Widescreen 16:9 and 'Automatic selection'...

Multi-function timer, for up to 8 stored 'programme slots',
either linked with selected channel's EPG, or manually as
per local VHS/DVDR recorder...

Sleep timer zzzzzzzz...

Electronic Programme Guide, (EPG), for channels transmitting
that data...

SCPC/MCPC reception standard C/Ku-Band Satellites...

Auto selection of various PAL, NTSC flavours, as well as
SECAM...

Video output in various flavours of PAL or NTSC...

Rapid and clear response signal meter for both 'Strength'
and 'Quality' of signal... (including audio beep/tone)...

Additionally, according to the simple and well-laid out book
of words, there's further info and suitable channel editors,
(RS232 link) that may be downloaded from www.comag-ag.de

The new owner can find out about the additional bits and
bobs for themselves - such as the save and store screen piccy
facility, the 'pause' programme facility, the 'zoom' x2 to x8
with user selectable centering/steering facility etc etc etc...

Oh ..and the power supply suits most mains supplies around
the world.. so you can take the little box anywhere, dish
on back, just like a Ninja Turtle if you so wish...

I trust that just about covers it ..as I said, just what
did you all think you were expecting from a little box of
tricks that costs a mere 39.99gbp! )

...btw, I know it's satellite - but for the purists - it is
also a DVB...

...and yes, I've been using it, (the SL65), flawlessly for
a couple of years or more now...

hope that covers most of the bases. The rest, for those
still interested, can be found out, Monday am, at your
local LiDL - or as and when LiDL make the next offer...

hh... )

Bill ZFC

Old August 24th 06, 04:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D

Bill (Adopt) wrote:
In article ,
Paul D wrote:
Paul D wrote:
Bill (Adopt) wrote:
In article , snip

One thing I forgot to ask - does this receiver have an on board
timer, like the Skybox 'Autoview', which enables the user to
programme a channel change
at a certain time so that it can be used in conjunction with an
external recorder?

Oh dear, Paul..! ..you make me wonder just what we all
really expect from a tiny little box about the size of
a thin(ish), small(ish) pocket-book costing an equally
miniaturised 39.99gbp..? )

A Timer...?) ..in short, yes!

snip

Brilliant!

Thanks for publishing the full spec too.

I was going to buy it with the 85cm dish and single LNB, then have it
trained on Hotbird 13E. I note however that the software updates come via
Astra 1 19E, so having found a good bargain on dual LNBs (25.00 at
Falconsat) I think I'll splash out on one so I can have a permanent feed of
both satellites.

Old August 25th 06, 02:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill (Adopt)

In article ,
Paul D wrote:
Bill (Adopt) wrote:
In article ,
Paul D wrote:
Paul D wrote:
Bill (Adopt) wrote:
In article , snip

[...]

I'm tempted to suggest that, alongside the useful 85cm
dish (complete with wall braket) that you wisely intend
to purchase, you might care to try the 59.99gbp inclusive
kit as well, rather than the 39.99gbp individual box - as
the kit LNB might just be all that you need - remember,
the 'dual/twin' descriptions can be lost in translation
- it is, after all, a German Product. (The dish may not
need additional take-offs as the SL65 already has a variety
of such onboard)...

....for, if the kit's Universal Twin LNB does accept a twin
satellite input, then you may smile at having saved 5.00gbp.
If not, then lash out on your 25.00gbp dual Falconsat LNB
replacement, when funds permit.. (you will not have to do
any dish retraining from Astra ..Hotbird is accessed quite
automatically - or the other way around, if that's your
initial setup)...

....in any case, you will end up with an additional 57cm
dish + mount, a digital (analogue) satellite audio beep
and visual locator, as well as an inclusive 20 metres plus
of quality cabling together with a complete set of
F-connectors and silicon rubber seals - all of which you
might well need anyway (and which probably will cost near
enough a Maplin 20.00gbp extra) - as well as having the now
spare, new if albeit single, (if it is), quality LNB to hang
onto yet another box in the not too distant future...

Just a thought.. )

Bill ZFC

Old August 25th 06, 11:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D

Bill (Adopt) wrote:
In article ,
Paul D wrote:
Bill (Adopt) wrote:
In article ,
Paul D wrote:
Paul D wrote:
Bill (Adopt) wrote:
In article ,
snip

[...]

Good idea Bill!

I was browsing various satellite websites last night and I'm getting more
and more interested in the whole thing. I was pleasantly surprised at how
well-priced dish motors are, so another scheme I thought of was this: buy a
pre-configured motorised dish kit (typical price for 80cm dish plus motor
and all mounting parts is around 70 pounds) and use the dish kit with the
SL65. This would give me a fully motorised setup with a good sized dish for
110 pounds!

I could probably bring that price down to around 100 pounds by buying the
Lidl 85cm dish and then buying a motor and other bits separately, but by
buying the motorised dish kit from one supplier at least I know it will all
work together.

If I bought the SL65 I'd get the kit for 59.99 as you suggest.