Showing results 1 to 25 of 323
Search took 0.01 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Andy Burns[_12_]
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) November 20th 17, 06:30 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 54
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
Croydon

JNugent wrote:

Sky Q (I had it but cancelled it and reverted to Sky+HD)
I saw that the chap upgrading my neighbour today took away their old
boxes (HD ones IIRC) in a bin bag, and I gather the Q...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) November 20th 17, 05:29 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 14
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
sky fitters and roofs

Angus Robertson wrote:

People joke about going on courses to learn to climb a ladder, but he
had a climbing harness and ropes and attached a ring to the wall to
tie off the ladder securely.
He...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) November 20th 17, 01:08 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 14
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
sky fitters and roofs

Neighbour has had a dish on chimney for years, and pays the sky tax, he
asked about sky Q the other day, it sounded like the features would suit
them, so today a sky van appeared outside their...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) November 19th 17, 03:43 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 8
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
Does the BBC allocate HD to different areas ?

Andy Burns wrote:

streams are HD

That's when they're full-screen, when in a smaller window the res drops
to 960x540, but the bandwidth is 2.9Mbps
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) November 19th 17, 03:41 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 8
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
Does the BBC allocate HD to different areas ?

Jim Lesurf wrote:

You say "streaming", so I assume you are fetching via the net
IIRC a right-click on the window
may pop up some info on what you are being given.

Yes, that's right.

The...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) November 10th 17, 12:19 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 47
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
Analogue Video senders still in use

Davey wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I think you'd have a harder job finding a TV without an analogue
tuner

Are the manufacturers still obliged to include them?

I doubt it.
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) November 10th 17, 09:09 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 47
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
Analogue Video senders still in use

Brian Gaff wrote:

never mind finding a tv still with an analogue tuner.

I think you'd have a harder job finding a TV without an analogue tuner,
the latest, greatest 77 inch 4K OLED sets still...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) November 3rd 17, 04:27 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 44
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
How many types of screens are there?

TonyGamble wrote:

considerably larger than 42" and I don't even remember seeing an OLED that small.

Most seem to start at 55", I think I saw one 49"
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) November 3rd 17, 09:50 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 54
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
Croydon

Brian Gaff wrote:

Now they just have some of the worst definition of any freeview channels
accourding to an ncis fan.

C5 HD seems on a par with the other HD channels.
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 31st 17, 07:36 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 14
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
Central speaker, Dolby and HDMI

TonyGamble wrote:

I'll probably leave testing until tomorrow as the back of the amp
needs a bit of daylight as some of the cabling is a bit tight.
If the screen and amp both have CEC enabled...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 31st 17, 07:15 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 14
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
Central speaker, Dolby and HDMI

TonyGamble wrote:

Does AV amp have HDMI out, or just in?

Yes, Andy.
It is a Yamaha RX-V567 if you could be bothered to look at the online manual.
Why the out?

It would let you avoid the...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 31st 17, 06:39 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 14
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
Central speaker, Dolby and HDMI

TonyGamble wrote:

I am using an HDMI splitter for my Firestick. With it I can send the
video to my plasma panel and the audio to my surround sound av kit.
Does AV amp have HDMI out, or just in?
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 31st 17, 09:51 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 73
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
MSF radio clocks.

Woody wrote:

Mark it UTC - that will confuse her.

Mark it TAI - and tell her she's got to subtract 37 leap seconds too.
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 31st 17, 09:47 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 73
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
MSF radio clocks.

Woody wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Current Audi has DAB radio, but doesn't bother changing the clock,
progress? bah!

But as yours is likely the same as my Passat at least you do have...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 30th 17, 08:16 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 73
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
MSF radio clocks.

Woody wrote:

If the Astra has a CD30 CD/radio or similar that uses the dash
display, then the time comes from RDS.

My previous Honda got the RDS time (and traffic alerts) and
automatically...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 29th 17, 11:14 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 44
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
How many types of screens are there?

TonyGamble wrote:

I bought a Fujitsu 42PWD3 in 1999.

I went to COMDEX in 1997, 42" plasma screens were just being released
and it seemed every stand had them on demo, they were very impressive...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 28th 17, 06:40 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 44
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
How many types of screens are there?

Max Demian wrote:

For a truly flat backlight an electroluminescent display could be used

EL materials tend to have a pretty short "half life" i.e. they go dim
after a few years.
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 28th 17, 06:22 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 44
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
How many types of screens are there?

Brian Gaff wrote:

OK what is Qled?

Apparently a quantum dot LED, for any more details you'll have to ask Mr
Samsung.
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 28th 17, 06:15 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 44
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
How many types of screens are there?

Andy Burns wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:

Do they have talkback from the Android system

a bit of googling suggests yes.

Yes they do. Here's a video you can listen to, the crackling in the...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 28th 17, 06:09 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 44
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
How many types of screens are there?

Brian Gaff wrote:

Do they have talkback from the Android system and if they do does it work
with the apps.

I don't know, I suspect it might take more tinkering than John Lewis
would be happy...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 28th 17, 04:15 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 44
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
How many types of screens are there?

wolfgang sch wrote:

The "next big thing" to look out for might be OLED, where the screen
itself consists of tiny LED pixels, but at this stage, as far as I
know, it's not being used in your...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 28th 17, 03:09 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 44
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
How many types of screens are there?

the dog from that film you saw wrote:

the only real led sets are the oled ones.

Do sony really believe that being android based (as well as having their
name on it) makes a 55" OLED TV worth a...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 25th 17, 01:15 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 54
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
Terrible iPlayer response

Davey wrote:

Whatever I did, I could not make iPlayer work.

Just tried it here, streaming robot wars in 720p, no problems, using 15%
of my bandwidth.
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 24th 17, 01:12 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 24
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
Aerial Diplex Plate

David Woolley wrote:

Jeff Gaines wrote:

carries Freeview, DAB and what looks like an old FM band3 (?) aerial

Band 3 is DAB. The older, FM system is band 2. (UHF TV is and 4 and...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 22nd 17, 03:45 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 52
Posted By Andy Burns[_12_]
Digital/Analogue Connections

Huge wrote:

It's a Panasonic DVR. Much better off seizing the opportunity to take
it into the garden and burn it. (Don't forget to put the video on Youtube.)

That's what I'm going to do...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 323