Showing results 1 to 25 of 476
Search took 3.02 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: David Woolley[_2_]
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) January 4th 18, 06:01 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 12
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
iPlayer needs an aerial?

On 04/01/18 17:52, Bill Wright wrote:
Today we had a customer who said that iPlayer wouldn't work on his
Polaroid TV without an aerial being connected. Sceptical, we tried

iPlayer now needs an...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) December 31st 17, 01:31 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 22
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
Does any hardware still allow playing of CD video?

On 30/12/17 12:01, Brian Gaff wrote:
On a pc it shows up as a two track CD only, no video.

If the drive can rip audio, I imagine it can play VCDs. As I remember
it, the video is recorded with...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) December 26th 17, 11:11 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 19
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
Sorry your account is locked for 30 minutes

On 25/12/17 10:05, Martin wrote:
What's the point of locking your account for thirty minutes? Is it to stop a
bot trying to login to your account?

It's to avoid having to employ humans to...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) November 20th 17, 04:47 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 16
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
sky fitters and roofs

On 20/11/17 13:08, Andy Burns wrote:
Just poked my head out for a look and he's added a new dish on the
gable-end (pair of brackets, smaller than T&K, cranked out, then up,
then over, peeping...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) November 20th 17, 04:45 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 16
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
sky fitters and roofs

On 20/11/17 14:13, Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:
No other solo installers that have visited the same chimney ever did
that

I think that is because of the Health and Safety, Small...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) November 1st 17, 11:45 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 73
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
MSF radio clocks.

On 31/10/17 19:31, Phil M wrote:
My pc with Win10 is, as far as I know, always correct and changed
automatically this Sunday. Just checked and is perfectly in sync with
my rds radio.

An...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 28th 17, 02:12 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 44
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
How many types of screens are there?

On 28/10/17 10:41, Brian Gaff wrote:
Some use leds,
some use lcds some use different methods of back lights

Unless you are talking large bill board system, LEDs are used to back
light LCDs, not...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 24th 17, 05:52 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 24
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
Aerial Diplex Plate

On 24/10/17 14:25, Bill Wright wrote:
It's unlikely to be a padded outlet system if the outlets are diplexed.
I don't think there's a product that does it.

I was assuming a previous...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 24th 17, 01:39 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 24
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
Aerial Diplex Plate

On 24/10/17 12:25, Jeff Gaines wrote:
DETA BEY 11 (may be BCY 11, very small print).

The current DETA catalogues are at
http://www.detaelectrical.co.uk/downloads. If you are very lucky, it...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 24th 17, 12:59 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 24
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
Aerial Diplex Plate

On 24/10/17 12:25, Jeff Gaines wrote:
carries Freeview, DAB and what looks like an old FM band3 (?) aerial

Band 3 is DAB. The older, FM system is band 2. (UHF TV is and 4 and 5.)
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 24th 17, 12:58 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 24
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
Aerial Diplex Plate

On 24/10/17 12:25, Jeff Gaines wrote:

I live in a retirement development with 24 properties and a communal
aerial. The aerial is wired to all the properties and carries Freeview,
DAB and...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 11th 17, 10:16 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 10
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
[OT] LED polarity etc

On 11/10/17 22:04, Pinnerite wrote:
We use to use lead/tin solder but it appears 'elf-n-safety abolished that.

It's easy to get tin/lead solder...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 10th 17, 11:10 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 30
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
Offcom and audio Description

On 10/10/17 08:26, tim... wrote:
presumably for the same reason(s) that they don't do subtitles

Which is probably because they don't have enough staff to do much more
than load the standard media...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 9th 17, 11:14 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 24
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
CCTV of the recent road accident near the Natural History Museum

On 09/10/17 10:54, Robin wrote:
On 09/10/2017 04:00, Bill Wright wrote:
I haven't seen any. Seems odd.

Not to me. I don't recall release of official (eg police, council or
TfL) still...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 2nd 17, 10:38 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 83
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
Duty cycle and transmitters

On 01/10/17 22:24, Indy Jess John wrote:
This requirement led to the development of carbon cored HT leads which
carried the voltage for the spark but didn't radiate it.

Carbon also radiates. ...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 1st 17, 12:10 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 83
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
Duty cycle and transmitters

On 30/09/17 20:00, NY wrote:
The sound was FM on a carrier spaced a few MHz from the video carrier (I
forget the spacing) - presumably on the sideband which has had the
higher frequencies...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 1st 17, 12:03 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 83
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
Duty cycle and transmitters

On 01/10/17 08:55, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes I agree that is what it actually is, its just like the old dial up
modems only very much wider in bandwidth and hence has more subcarriers.

It's like the...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) September 30th 17, 04:11 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 83
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
Duty cycle and transmitters

On 30/09/17 14:35, Jim Lesurf wrote:
In article , David Woolley
wrote:

Actually, the signals are then reprocessed with the aim of...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) September 30th 17, 12:36 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 83
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
Duty cycle and transmitters

On 30/09/17 09:46, Brian Gaff wrote:
I was pondering something the other day about the use of bandwidth and how
hard the transmitters had to work.

This is not to do with duty cycle.

Analogue...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) July 29th 17, 10:32 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 35
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
Aerial overhang

On 28/07/17 08:20, Peter Crosland wrote:
It is trespass. Simples!

Not so simple[s]. Often the adjacent properties own the alley up to the
mid-way line, in which case it might breach a right of...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) June 24th 17, 09:06 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 7
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
Why don't they...

On 23/06/17 11:02, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
What are you talking about? There is only 'spare' capacity if you steal
it from something else. There aren't any gaps unless they are
deliberately left....
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) June 23rd 17, 07:09 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 25
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
I have to wait 30 minutes

On 23/06/17 13:22, Indy Jess John wrote:

These are absolutely impossible for those with limited vision, and even
people who can see properly might miss something relevant but not obvious.

See...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) June 19th 17, 10:02 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 7
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
Why don't they...

On 19/06/17 08:56, Brian Gaff wrote:
Instead of messing about with radio stations tacked on to different freeview
multiplexes, simply build one in each area with all the radio stations only
on...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) May 20th 17, 05:07 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 29
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
Novelty aerals.

On 20/05/17 16:29, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 19/05/2017 23:23, Graham. wrote:

Here is such a thing I saw last year
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) May 18th 17, 11:36 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 50
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
No reflector on new TV antenna

On 18/05/17 09:58, wrote:
One has to wonder about the wisdom of selling off parts of the TV band when
ever more bandwidth hungry HD channels are going on air and in the future
Showing results 1 to 25 of 476