Showing results 1 to 25 of 500
Search took 0.02 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Paul D Smith[_2_]
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) February 21st 17, 08:22 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 78
Posted By Paul D Smith[_2_]
Update: Humax overheating

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 22:26:48 -0000, "Benderthe.evilrobot"
wrote:

I've...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) February 7th 17, 09:37 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 6
Posted By Paul D Smith[_2_]
Firefox OS

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message ...

Just picked this up in another...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) January 12th 17, 08:13 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 11
Posted By Paul D Smith[_2_]
Flying Scotsman on the Severn Valley Railway

"David Kennedy" wrote in message

On 10/01/2017 17:39, alan_m wrote:
On 05/01/2017 08:48, Paul D Smith wrote:

OT, but I've always...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) January 5th 17, 08:48 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 11
Posted By Paul D Smith[_2_]
Flying Scotsman on the Severn Valley Railway

"Mark Carver" wrote in message ...

On 04/01/2017 23:17, Bill Wright wrote:

I thought I could make out a medium to big one on a distant hill.

I didn't see...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) December 20th 16, 03:31 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 37
Posted By Paul D Smith[_2_]
It's almost like having valves...

I have the windows open unless it's quite a bit below zero all night. I
also live in an uninsulated 1930s solid wall house with a flat roof and
zero insulation and getting it up much above...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) December 20th 16, 09:31 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 37
Posted By Paul D Smith[_2_]
It's almost like having valves...

....snip...

We sleep in an unheated bedroom, except in very cold winters.
--

Yes but............ being in Dutchland I would guess the levels of
insulation are significantly higher...
Replies: 37
Posted By Paul D Smith[_2_]
It's almost like having valves...

My LCD TV, a pretty recent Panasonic, has an interesting problem that I
thought the group might find amusing. Being as tight as insert suitable
phrase, I keep the house at a pleasant 18degC and...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) November 3rd 16, 08:51 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 18
Posted By Paul D Smith[_2_]
WiFi keyboard use with smart TV

Jeff,

Have you first tried plugging in a standard USB keyboard? Does that work in
the way that you want? Also, there is often some TV input setting (on the
TV not your keyboard) that you select...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) November 2nd 16, 11:18 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 2
Posted By Paul D Smith[_2_]
Yuo want an old TV?

If anyone else wants an old TV to work on, a shop in Enfield, N.London, has
an old RCA Victor in their showroom. There's at least one knob missing
though and I've not been in to see what state...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 27th 16, 01:41 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 31
Posted By Paul D Smith[_2_]
Somebody down my way...

Can you transmit back to them and add some suitably spooky voices in time
for Halloween?

Paul DS.
++++++++++++++
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message ...

Has one of those...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 25th 16, 09:07 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 70
Posted By Paul D Smith[_2_]
I've bought an old telly

That's excellent. I especially like the capacitor comparisons and the
'circular' CRT.
+++++++++++++

"Graham." wrote in message...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 25th 16, 09:06 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 70
Posted By Paul D Smith[_2_]
I've bought an old telly

That's excellent. I especially love the capacitor comparisons and the old
'circular' CRT.

Paul DS
++++++++++++++
"Graham." wrote in message...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 18th 16, 08:40 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 132
Posted By Paul D Smith[_2_]
On Topic: Latest 700 MHz plan

Is this an international standard frequency? If not, why would any phone
manufacturer create a UK-only phone? Many still produce 'US only' phones
because they can trim handset costs by pretending...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 5th 16, 08:30 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 11
Posted By Paul D Smith[_2_]
ITV Player & Victoria

I get similar with ITV and with 4OD. The best thing about BBC iPlayer is
the 'download and watch offline' option and I cannot understand why others
have not followed suit.
+++++++++
"pinnerite" ...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) September 14th 16, 08:33 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 18
Posted By Paul D Smith[_2_]
Could 'whistling' kill your PVR?

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message

On 13/09/2016 08:24, Brian Gaff wrote:
Bloomin heck though over 130 db, the engineers would be deaf,...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) September 13th 16, 08:50 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 18
Posted By Paul D Smith[_2_]
Could 'whistling' kill your PVR?

However if vibration is possible, presumably there is a resonant frequency
and we might be able to do much better (i.e. quieter) than 130dB. Speaking
to some fellow engineers, apparently rack...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) September 12th 16, 05:11 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 18
Posted By Paul D Smith[_2_]
Could 'whistling' kill your PVR?

Umm, I wonder if a nefarious TV show could send you a tone that kills your
PVR. Perhaps embedded in an advert for the latest new PVR from insert
manufacturer as a way to boost...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) June 28th 16, 08:29 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 21
Posted By Paul D Smith[_2_]
How to Access Viera Link on Panasonic TV?

....snip...

My problem is that VieraLink is inaccessible on my
machine, I get the message 'Function not Avail' - this
is what I don't understand.

Have you enabled the control on...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) May 16th 16, 08:43 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 21
Posted By Paul D Smith[_2_]
Aerials for future proofing

If you really want to be future proof, you need to get a satellite
dish ;)
++++++++++++
My Amstrad analogue sat. system doesn't seem to work any more ;-). And
there is still the odd squarial...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) May 3rd 16, 09:47 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 21
Posted By Paul D Smith[_2_]
worse than scart

Riding with ear buds in? Very stupid! I tried it briefly as on the rare
occasions that I take my bicycle into London I use the SatNav on my phone to
find my way around because I'm normally going...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) May 3rd 16, 09:44 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 21
Posted By Paul D Smith[_2_]
worse than scart

"Bill Wright" wrote in message ...

I decided to try out the earphones that came with my phone. Of course
they aren't proper earphones as per Marconi and the...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) April 26th 16, 08:31 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 121
Posted By Paul D Smith[_2_]
Cooling a satellite decoder or similar

I have a few small cooling fans which I think I got partly from CPC and
partly from various old kit. Not sure of the voltages, but many run with a
much lower voltage that specified. So have a look at...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) April 21st 16, 01:39 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 8
Posted By Paul D Smith[_2_]
Confused vga to tv box

Brian,

Has the upgrade unhelpfully changed (increased) the screen resolution so
that now the Chinese box cannot cope? I'm guessing that you were using
640x480 or perhaps 800x600? Has the VGA upped...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) April 19th 16, 08:39 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 57
Posted By Paul D Smith[_2_]
Potential problem with my refurbished Humax

Humax kit is well known for its strange problems with HDMI.

Have you tried a different cable? I've had problems with them stopping
working for no readily apparent reason.
++++++

+1 for the green...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) March 21st 16, 08:28 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 16
Posted By Paul D Smith[_2_]
Keyboard for TV?

....snip...

This thread had a posting about webcams not working and wondered about
keyboards. Just to chime in, keyboards and mice are very simple and have
been standardized almost from the very...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 500