Showing results 1 to 25 of 500
Search took 0.03 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Brian Gaff
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 16th 17, 03:45 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 10
Posted By Brian Gaff
Completely OT but you're knowledgeable - car toll stickers / black dots

Never heard of that one before. Sounds a bit strange to me.

Blind user,...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 16th 17, 10:55 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 25
Posted By Brian Gaff
Copying files from Humax PVR

Surely though, nowadays somebody must have made a decoder for such files. In
my view this protectionism for the sake of it seems counter productive.
there has to be lots of people who lose valuable...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 16th 17, 10:52 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 25
Posted By Brian Gaff
Copying files from Humax PVR

FAT will only restrict file size. Fat 32 will but not quite as much.

The Sofa of Brian...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 16th 17, 10:51 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 18
Posted By Brian Gaff
Bitrates

I feel myself that the tendency for them to drop out is enough to make many
unlistenable myself.
if enough people actually complained about eh shortcomings on Freeview then
I'd imagine something...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 16th 17, 08:15 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 11
Posted By Brian Gaff
Aerial amplifier interference question

Your Roller Driver I guess his wife need for her pastry?

Blind user, so...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 16th 17, 08:11 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 11
Posted By Brian Gaff
Aerial amplifier interference question

Kind of makes one wonder why that amps were put in in the first place. I've
had nothing but trouble with amps when anyone has tried to get a transmitter
outside a local area.
Intermodulation is the...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 15th 17, 06:57 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 101
Posted By Brian Gaff
FM stereo tuners - Xpost (OTish)

Well I still have one, Its a Dennon, and I still have a spare marantz too.
There are stations that I listen to that do not have internet or dab
outlets.
If it sounds good then as long as you are...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 14th 17, 05:04 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 21
Posted By Brian Gaff
Time to regain cost of replacing plasma TV

Just as long as none of your neighbours are short wave listeners or ham
radio operators as some of those displays chuck out really high levels of
crap over the spectrum.

This...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 12th 17, 07:01 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 28
Posted By Brian Gaff
Timecode on programme-as-broadcast archive material

I'm not sure what you mean, but on old video tape there was always time
allowed for everything to stabilise, I seem to recall.

This newsgroup posting comes to you directly...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 12th 17, 08:07 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 10
Posted By Brian Gaff
[OT] LED polarity etc

Yes and also make sure its self fluxing. some of the early modern stuff was
rubbish at tinning anything.

The Sofa of Brian...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 12th 17, 08:06 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 10
Posted By Brian Gaff
[OT] LED polarity etc

Yes it always used to pay to keep a roll of old solder.
I gave mine to a friend when it became too dangerous to use a soldering
iron.

Of course veroboard is bare copper and that is probably the...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 11th 17, 03:39 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 30
Posted By Brian Gaff
Offcom and audio Description

Hmm, well I notice that for a small amount of dosh the itv hub will now let
you see series with no adverts. Another issue I've come across is that when
CSI and its ilk are put out during the day...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 11th 17, 03:33 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 30
Posted By Brian Gaff
Offcom and audio Description

The last series made for us was New tricks if you look at the running time
on other channels of the repeats its normally a very odd number of minutes
as they do cut them but not every one allows...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 11th 17, 03:29 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 30
Posted By Brian Gaff
Offcom and audio Description

Yes its for all those who fell asleep on the originals, specially crafted
for those with tiny attention spans.
Idealin fact for the goldfish.

Then I'm getting increasingly worried about audiences...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 11th 17, 09:39 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 30
Posted By Brian Gaff
Offcom and audio Description

Yes but then like other movie channels they repeat the same movies quite
often at different times, which means that its like comparing apples with
oranges.
I just wonder how on earth they really...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 10th 17, 04:43 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 30
Posted By Brian Gaff
Offcom and audio Description

Well, I think somebody ought to try to amend their attitude.

I suspect the real reason is market share clauses added in at the last
minute to dilute the law.
How can they say about market share,...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 10th 17, 04:41 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 30
Posted By Brian Gaff
Offcom and audio Description

No its not, as I said earlier, I hear that subtitles are offered on many of
these channels by a flag in the programme guide.

This newsgroup posting comes to you directly...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 10th 17, 04:40 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 30
Posted By Brian Gaff
Offcom and audio Description

Yes, but its got little to do with cost if the stuff already exists and as
far as I'm aware there is legislation in this country that they have to do
10 percent.
I think one of the ways they get...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 10th 17, 04:37 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 30
Posted By Brian Gaff
Offcom and audio Description

I have heard that Subtitles appear on Sony Movies or can be selected as the
program guide tells me they can.

The Sofa of...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 10th 17, 04:36 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 30
Posted By Brian Gaff
Offcom and audio Description

I do not believe so, I think it has something to do with the estimated
number of people who can get these channels. However in London alone that is
almost everyone.

This...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 10th 17, 07:11 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 30
Posted By Brian Gaff
Offcom and audio Description

Why is it that many channels do no audio description at all, when others
seem to do most obvious things?
I am always being told by rnib how good the AD is now with 'many channels
doing more than 20...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 10th 17, 07:07 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 0
Posted By Brian Gaff
Creative advert frequency.

Seems to me that ever since the commercial channels were allowed a bit more
advert in the hour and no restriction on when they appearr, many of the
longer shows such as Marple or midsummer...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 9th 17, 05:42 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 24
Posted By Brian Gaff
CCTV of the recent road accident near the Natural History Museum

The most annoying thing this bit of culture has made is the demise of the
newspaper photographer. Instead most publications use Facebook or a cloud
service for the publics pictures and simply sit...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 9th 17, 08:39 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 30
Posted By Brian Gaff
get_iplayer v3.04

Could it be audio description so the same video can be downloaded but the
choices on audio would make it supposedly possible for people like myself,
for example to just have the audio with ad and...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 9th 17, 08:30 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 18
Posted By Brian Gaff
Flight

See my response in the other group.