Old February 10th 18, 10:04 AM posted to
Default New technologies?

On 10/02/2018 09:23, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 09/02/18 10:01, Pinnerite wrote:
Right now we have a mix of standard definition (SD) and high definition
(HD). Currently marketed are 4K televisions with amazing images.

We can stream 4K from commercial sources provided we are prepared to
pay for
the fibre-optic connection and streaming source.

I have a 10MB wire download and can stream 4K without buffering from
YouTube. Just in case it was not 4K I tried it with the Blue Planet
trial the BBC ran. Same thing - no buffering. So do we really need these
high-speed links, or was I really not viewing 4K both times?

May I ask if you definitely have 10 Megabytes/s rather than 10
Megabits/s? I ask because connection speeds are usually quoted in
bits/s. And when I trialled Netflix the UHD usually required much more
than 10 Megabits/s. IIRC they recommend a minimum 25. And the
resolution started off low and then increased (much like BBC iPlayer).
So if you are on 10 Megabits/s my answer to your question is a definite