Old January 29th 18, 08:11 PM posted to
Default Freeview swizzling sound tracks

"Johnny B Good" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 16:15:10 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

its all part of the losing the plot world we live in. I have for
example a
cd/dvd player here which sounds excelent but has one flaw any real cd
player should not have, it ducks between tracks, so there you are
listening to the classical cd with track markers that should not be
heard, and hey presto it ducks the sound. I expect more from Panasonic
than this, Software operating cds has been standard for may years, so
why re invent the thing badly. OK so the player can play mp3 cds and
dvds and even ram stick recordings, but all with this strange issue.

Can I assume that you are referring to commercially pressed CDs which,
when played on another CD player, *doesn't* duck the sound at the track
boundaries or are you referring to CD tracks that have been ripped to
recordable media such as CD-R and/or CD+R using CD Burning software?

It's been well over a decade since I last burnt any audio CDs but I do
remember the problem I had creating CDs from ripped tape and vinyl where
the audio CD burning software (Nero5 in my case) kept introducing
unwanted two second gaps between the seperate tracks very much against my

Prior to slicing each digitised album or tape into seperate wav files, I
used to simply burn the whole of each album side (whether direct from the
vinyl or a reel to reel tape copy) as a single track which preserved the
original inter-track timings. This, however, meant I couldn't easily drop
onto an individual 'track', hence my discovering the two second of
silence between tracks after going to the trouble of slicing and dicing
my digitisations of each whole side of an album.

Yes. Either you trim the tracks so they begin and end exactly on the sound,
or else you mute the audio (to remove tape hiss or record crackles) and
leave in the gap, dividing it roughly equally between the end of track n and
the beginning of track n+1.