Old January 7th 18, 03:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Clive Page[_4_]

Default iPlayer needs an aerial?

On 04/01/2018 17:52, Bill Wright wrote:
Today we had a customer who said that iPlayer wouldn't work on his Polaroid TV without an aerial being connected. Sceptical, we tried ourselves. He was right. Every other catch-up service worked but not iPlayer. When iPlayer was attempted a message came up saying that the aerial had to be connected.

Paul googled and found this:
It's a quirk of Vestel's software apparently, so as well as the TVs they sell under the branding licensed from Toshiba it can affect TVs they made for other retailers and brands are well. JVC, Finlux, Hitatchi, Celcius and Polaroid would be some of the more common brands you find their TVs sold under, but there are many more.

I think it's a measure to stop people outside the UK viewing BBC programmes. Why they are so paranoid about this I'm not sure. We have a Panasonic TV several years old which includes an iPlayer option if connected to the Internet by a Ethernet cable. But it only worked when there was also a Freesat signal. I say worked not works because about 18 months ago a BBC "upgrade" changed the format of iPlayer streams so the TV would no longer cope, and of course Panasonic has no interest in providing a software upgrade for a TV more than a year or so old, as they'd much rather we buy a newer TV. Which of course we haven't, and now I know how Panasonic treats it customers I am much less likely to buy the same brand again.

All the same, needing Freesat seems rather odd, as the set can also get Freeview, and it seems to me that presence of a Freeview signal would be a much better test of the TV being used in the UK than that of Freesat, which surely has a footprint covering adjacent countries.

--
Clive Page