Old December 27th 17, 05:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

Default A discussion in that D-I-Y group

On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 16:24:20 +0000, Mark Carver
wrote:

On 27/12/2017 14:58, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 13:49:18 +0000, Max Demian wrote:

Signing is bound to use a lot of bandwidth, unless a simplified
silhouette of a pair of hands is used, which can be superimposed on the
existing video as it is with subtitles. I suspect that people who use
sign language are used to have an actual person in front of them and
rely on facial expressions.

Why aren't subtitles sufficient?

Someone asked that question in here a few years ago, and I think the
answer remains the same, some deaf people cannot read.

I've just done a bit of searching, and read a few articles about this. I
haven't read enough to come to a firm conclusion but one thing sticks
out: the signer can replicate the speaker's emotions as well as signing
the words.

A viewer reading subtitles won't get any idea of the tone of voice, and
can't at the same time watch the people to see their expressions and
gestures.

Signing conveys more than just the words spoken.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)