Old December 27th 17, 07:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default iPhone 4 question

Well in that case the battery will be well and truly knackered as well as
whatever the fault is.

In my expeditious, those sort of switches in devices are about as reliable
as an umbrella in snowstorm.
I find them on lots of things for use by the blind. Generally because when
new they are fairly positive and small, but after a while their grotty
plastic engineering or conductive plastic bits or membranes gives up.

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
news
Tweed wrote:
R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Tuesday, 26 December 2017 14:52:56 UTC, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 26/12/17 14:32, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Don't know where else to ask.
I have been given a iPhone 4.
The power button does nothing at all when
pushed, so I tried the trick in the below link. It did not work.
Skip to
1.49 secs in. Yes, I can see the reasoning here. However, when I
push the power button I expect to see something move to make
contact. Nothing does. And yes, I did try a spot of WD40. Is the
power button broken or am I missing something?

The phone is 32bit, ancient and the battery is probably well
shagged.

I changed a battery in such for a friend and managed to dislodge and
lose a dimple the size of quarter of a grain of cos-cous from the
top of the power button, and had to strip the whole phone down to
replace the switch/proximity/speaker assembly with one from eBay.

Try the paper piece trick, or preferably the leading post from
'Chris M' in the YouTube clip comments - then when it works, flog
it and get a modern Android, or iPhone 5S minimum.

Indeed - I picked up a new, but superseded Acer Liquid Z5 from Scan
(by Royal Appointment etc.) in a clear out sale for 15. It's not
quite a Galaxy S7 or recent iPhone, but it is quite capable.

--
Adrian C

I've had long out of service iStuff behave as though it won't turn
on, even when hooked up to the charger. Apple's advice is to leave it
on charge for a few hours. I'd didn't really believe this advice, but
it did work.

I should have been clearer. The phone won't turn off on the power button.