Old December 17th 17, 02:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

Default phone scam involving television service

On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 11:25:43 +0000, John Hall
wrote:

We get junk calls on our landline every day or so. Mildly annoying but
not yet enough to actually spend money on trying to thwart them. In
the past they have usually been from "Microsoft Security Department" or
else "BT broadband security" or something computer related. But for
the last few weeks most calls have started by saying something like
"It's about your television service - you are currently paying N pounds
per month for your maintenance...". Since this is completely untrue, I
just put down the phone at that point to save time.

But it occurs to me that I can't work out what this particular scam is,
does anyone know? Maybe I should play them along for a bit if I get
time over Christmas, if I need a bit of mild entertainment by then.

I've not had any of these calls, but I'd guess that the scam is that
they will offer you "maintenance" for some amount slightly less than N
pounds a month (though still exorbitant). I'd also guess that they'd
want maybe 12 months payment up-front, so that you've handed over a
substantial sum before you realise that you aren't actually getting any
maintenance.

I've just seen one described in our local paper - nothing to do with
TV, but requiring a similar level of gullibility I would have thought.
The scamsters put a note through letterboxes saying they're
investigating a recent spate of counterfeit banknotes issued from
ATMs, and the householder is invited to help by withdrawing some notes
from their ATM and sending them to the enclosed address "for
analysis". I'm amazed anyone could fall for this but presumably some
people must have, otherwise it wouldn't be a news item.

Rod.