Old December 17th 17, 11:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Hall[_2_]

Default phone scam involving television service

In message , Clive Page
writes
We get junk calls on our landline every day or so. Mildly annoying but
not yet enough to actually spend money on trying to thwart them. In
the past they have usually been from "Microsoft Security Department" or
else "BT broadband security" or something computer related. But for
the last few weeks most calls have started by saying something like
"It's about your television service - you are currently paying N pounds
per month for your maintenance...". Since this is completely untrue, I
just put down the phone at that point to save time.

But it occurs to me that I can't work out what this particular scam is,
does anyone know? Maybe I should play them along for a bit if I get
time over Christmas, if I need a bit of mild entertainment by then.

I've not had any of these calls, but I'd guess that the scam is that
they will offer you "maintenance" for some amount slightly less than N
pounds a month (though still exorbitant). I'd also guess that they'd
want maybe 12 months payment up-front, so that you've handed over a
substantial sum before you realise that you aren't actually getting any
maintenance.

I wonder what the equivalent is of revealing, after they have spent a
lot of time trying to guide you through the installation of some
malware, that your computer runs Linux. Maybe that I have a 405-line
analogue TV?

I'm not sure that would be very plausible. You could say that you don't
have a TV at all - I know that some people don't.
--
John Hall "George the Third
Ought never to have occurred.