Old December 17th 17, 10:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Clive Page[_4_]

Default phone scam involving television service

We get junk calls on our landline every day or so. Mildly annoying but not yet enough to actually spend money on trying to thwart them. In the past they have usually been from "Microsoft Security Department" or else "BT broadband security" or something computer related. But for the last few weeks most calls have started by saying something like "It's about your television service - you are currently paying N pounds per month for your maintenance...". Since this is completely untrue, I just put down the phone at that point to save time.

But it occurs to me that I can't work out what this particular scam is, does anyone know? Maybe I should play them along for a bit if I get time over Christmas, if I need a bit of mild entertainment by then.

I wonder what the equivalent is of revealing, after they have spent a lot of time trying to guide you through the installation of some malware, that your computer runs Linux. Maybe that I have a 405-line analogue TV?

--
Clive Page