Old December 6th 17, 11:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

Default microwave oven power consumption

On 06/12/2017 11:01, Roderick Stewart wrote:
On Tue, 05 Dec 2017 23:00:49 +0000, Graham C
wrote:

Watching my Panasonic cook porridge suggests the inverter doesn't do
what one would expect. On 'Simmer' the porridge bowl goes round and
round and suddenly after say 20 secs, the contents threaten to climb
out of the bowl for a few seconds before settling back down again.,
then repeating after another 20 seconds. More like duty cycling to me!

My only attempt to cook porridge by microwave was such a disaster I've
never dared to repeat it, and have continued to use the traditional
method with a normal gas hob, simmering while stirring continuously
for seven minutes with a wooden spoon.

For ordinary rolled oats I find that, after bringing to the boil,
simmering for five minutes with an occasional stir is sufficient.

In a microwave the trick is to use a Pyrex bowl big enough that it
doesn't boil over (uncovered): 3 minutes at full power, stir, 2 more
minutes then rest for 1 minute. The convenience and time taken for the
two methods is roughly the same.

--
Max Demian