Old December 6th 17, 08:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

Default microwave oven power consumption

On 06/12/2017 04:08, Bill Wright wrote:
On 05/12/2017 23:00, Graham C wrote:
Watching my Panasonic cook porridge suggests the inverter doesn't do
what one would expect. On 'Simmer' the porridge bowl goes round and
round and suddenly after say 20 secs, the contents threaten to climb
out of the bowl for a few seconds before settling back down again.,
then repeating after another 20 seconds. More like duty cycling to me!

Then it has 'Chaos Defrost' mode. I put a frozen steak in and set the
'type' and 'weight' parameters correctly. It started a ten-minute
defrost cycle. Alarmed at what I saw through the door after just a
minute I stopped it and noticed the steak was quite hot -well on the
way to being properly cooked. So that's on the way to being done in
just one minute with nine minutes of 'defrost;' left. I don' think so.

FWIW this microwave has been repaired twice within the warranty
period.

Could it be faulty? I have two of these, and they seem to work fine. I'm
fairly sure they don't power cycle. Micros I've had that do have given
audible evidence of it and these don't. Also, our mains is dodgy and
when I put a micro on the halogens dim a bit, but it only happens on
full power and turbo, and they don't alternate between bright and dim
while it's on any setting.

Bill

Mine does power cycle, I can hear the relay click as it turns the
magnetron on and off. Mine is a Sanyo.

I haven't seen any of the extremes described by the OP. On
auto-defrost, I put in the type (Meat, Chicken, Fish or Bread are the
options), then the weight, and it does a blast on full power then a
pause, then another blast. It does this for a period of time that seems
to be associated with the weight (though the exact conversion from grams
to minutes isn't immediately obvious). The magnetron then switches off
for two minutes which is supposed to be long enough to equalise the
temperature, then there is a far longer period of short bursts and long
pauses (again there seems to be some correlation between weight and
time) until it goes Ping and switches off. The food inside is generally
faintly lukewarm, but it isn't showing signs of being partially cooked.

We chose the Sanyo because the reviews said it was excellent at
defrosting, which it is. It is also pretty good at reheating food left
over from the previous day. We don't cook much in it, and baked beans,
gravy, soup etc are not exactly challenging, so we don't really care
what the cooking quality is like. One thing I did notice is that the
Sanyo knows where the turntable is. If I put in a jug with a handle, it
always stops at the end of the cooking time with the handle in exactly
the same place as I put it in originally.

One thing I will say to the OP is that a 10 minute defrost cycle doesn't
automatically imply 10 minutes of microwave action (see my description
above). But if it does partly cook a steak rather than defrosting it,
it could be faulty, though this would be unusual for a Panasonic which
is usually a reliable brand. The other thought is that if this is a
Combination Oven, is the grill element on in addition to the microwaves?

Jim